Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 48 - June 2023 /// Tony Sly - 12 Song Program

I don’t remember the dude in the top left. Was he Rebecca’s boss?
Robin Culcord disgraced Multimillionaire industrialist, he dated Rebecca in later seasons played by the incomparable British actor, Roger Rees (RIP) he also had a memorable recurring role on The West Wing.

Cheers is one of my all time favorite shows. The only show I’ve watched more often is The Simpsons.

Cheers recently left NBC’s streamer Peacock. If you wanna watch it now you need either Paramount+ or HULU.

Last edited:
View attachment 173552
This is the full photo. Robin was never more than a recurring character though he first appears in season 8.

Lilith wasn’t included as part of of the main cast until the final 2 seasons (seasons 10 and 11).

I think I completely blocked Robin from my memory. I religiously watched Cheers but I can’t remember that character at all. Definitely a person that has never been in my kitchen.

Cheers is an American sitcom television series that ran on NBC from September 30, 1982, to May 20, 1993, with a total of 275 half-hour episodes across 11 seasons.

Robin Colcord was featured in a recurring role for seasons 8 and 9 with a brief reappearance in season 11.

The photo is probably a promo photo either 1989 or 1990.

I still haven't watched it but I remember reading this GQ article about it and it made me want to watch it: Cheers Oral History - GQ October 2012
I remember watching it as a kid and enjoying it as much a kid could enjoy an adult sitcom. I recall the hubbub in 1993 when it went off the air as being one of the monocultural moments that rarely occur today. Then watching Frasier on and off throughout the rest of the 90s. Fast forward to around 2010, I randomly discovered that The Hallmark Channel was airing 3 Hour blocks from midnight to 3:00 AM nightly and thought it would be fun to revisit if only for nostalgia sake and I set up the DVR to record it. Well, we absolutely loved it. We binged the fuck out the show watch the full series in over like a 3 month span. It ended up in our “comfort TV” rotation and we have watched it all the way through now probably 4 or 5 times.

The comedy is zippy lots of jokes rapid fire and a lot of the humor has a timeless quality while the show itself feels very of it’s time in the best way possible. Another thing Cheers has going for it is due to cast turnover, mainly the switch from Diane to Rebecca; it is two great shows in one. The Diane years are slightly more dramatic and the archetypal romantic sitcom with the main focus of much of the plot revolving about Sam And Diane’s opposites attract relationship, by season 5 that premise had lost a bit of steam. Thankfully at the end of that season Shelly Long left the show to pursue a movie career and they essentially reinvented the show as more of an ensemble comedy, with the excellent supporting cast carrying more of the storylines. Very few shows are able to continue on with that consistent level of quality over an 11 season span.

TL; DR: It’s excellent. You should watch it.

I remember watching it as a kid and enjoying it as much a kid could enjoy an adult sitcom. I recall the hubbub in 1993 when it went off the air as being one of the monocultural moments that rarely occur today. Then watching Frasier on and off throughout the rest of the 90s. Fast forward to around 2010, I randomly discovered that The Hallmark Channel was airing 3 Hour blocks from midnight to 3:00 AM nightly and thought it would be fun to revisit if only for nostalgia sake and I set up the DVR to record it. Well, we absolutely loved it. We binged the fuck out the show watch the full series in over like a 3 month span. It ended up in our “comfort TV” rotation and we have watched it all the way through now probably 4 or 5 times.

The comedy is zippy lots of jokes rapid fire and a lot of the humor has a timeless quality while the show itself feels very of it’s time in the best way possible. Another thing Cheers has going for it is due to cast turnover, mainly the switch from Diane to Rebecca; it is two great shows in one. The Diane years are slightly more dramatic and the archetypal romantic sitcom with the main focus of much of the plot revolving about Sam And Diane’s opposites attract relationship, by season 5 that premise had lost a bit of steam. Thankfully at the end of that season Shelly Long left the show to pursue a movie career and they essentially reinvented the show as more of an ensemble comedy, with the excellent supporting cast carrying more of the storylines. Very few shows are able to continue on with that consistent level of quality over an 11 season span.

TL; DR: It’s excellent. You should watch it.
You’ll be happy to know that the AOTM is literally just the Cheers laugh track.

You’ll be happy to know that the AOTM is literally just the Cheers laugh track.
Pffft. As you will find out when/if you ever give Cheers a shot; prior to every episodes cold open, there is a voiceover from a random cast member informing TV viewers that: “Cheers was filmed before a live studio audience”. This disclaimer was added after the first season because some viewers’ complained that the “laugh track” was too loud.

Last edited:
Exactly my thoughts and for this precise reason and because after 3 years giving the same guess every damn month, I cannot see my favorite guess being picked and me staying on the side line.

@scotthilk, my official AotM Vol. 48 guess is Bloc Party - Silent Alarm
Well, if @scotthilk is unfamiliar with Cheers beyond a cursory knowledge, that means it’s probably elemental connection:

Boston

Bar/Tavern

1980s

8 people in the photo

I stick with my guess. Bloc Party certainly played in Boston, they all went to a bar/tavern at least once, at least Kele Okereke and Russell Lissack were born in the 80s. EDIT Plus, if you go drunk to one of their shows you can see 8 people on stage!

Back