Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 48 - June 2023 /// Tony Sly - 12 Song Program

scotthilk

I am elated to announce that the Needles & Grooves Album of the Month Vol. 48 - June 2023 is none other than:

Tony Sly - 12 Song Program
12_Song_Program_2000x.jpg

CONGRATS TO @D Jilla on winning the $100! Send me your Venmo/PayPal/Zelle via DM!

Congrats to everyone who guessed! There were some amazing guesses and also work shown with some of my wild clues. I will go through the clues to explain in a little bit.

Prize runners-up are @Wes C. Attle and @Hemotep for guessing the 2nd and 3rd closest picks! You win a free copy of the album! DM me.

And now, on to the album…

When I was 13 or 14, my friend introduced me to NOFX and Rancid. At this point in my life, the only music I was listening to was whatever my parents were playing or what I watched on MTV's Total Request Live (guilty!. I never fully got into music, or realized that I could have my OWN taste in music. When I was first exposed to various brands of punk rock, I immediately felt at home. The storytelling.. the lyrics.. the energy. I ended up immersing myself deeply into the world of 90's/00's punk at the time which mostly consisted of Fat Wreck and Epitaph bands. I found myself going to the Warped Tour and local shows for the first time (my first show EVER was Blink 182, a few days after 9/11).

As I continued to dive deeper and deeper, I settled into listening to NOFX, Rancid, and No Use For A Name ALL the time. These were, and still are, my "big 3" when it comes to my favorite brand of punk rock. They are melodic enough for me while not completely tearing my ears off. I appreciated the storytelling, the humor, the imagery, and it just made me feel good listening to it.

My musical world would very quickly open up into a vast black hole of Pink Floyd, Beatles, Sublime, Doors, dance punk (see: The Faint!), and other styles of music - but - I would ALWAYS revert back to these bands.

No Use For A Name stood out to me as being different from most of the other bands I was listening to. The storytelling (yes, I keep using this word) was impeccable and the imagery they created for me in their songs was very meaningful. Songs about life, love, existential crises, loneliness, worldliness, family. All things that I was very much coming to discover and ask myself in my early teenage years.

I'd go on to see many-a-Warped Tours, No Use For A Name shows, punk shows, and even a Tony Sly show in 2010. I vaguely remember being in a mosh pit during NUFAN's set in +/- 2003 where my girlfriend and I started making out. It was probably only for 10-15 seconds, but it seemed like time stopped, every person stopped moshing, and it was just me / the girl / and the music. It's a very vivid and meaningful memory for me. Music and love were, are, and will always be my 1-2 punch.

Tony Sly, the singer and songwriter for No Use For A Name, holds a special place in my heart. He wrote some of my favorite songs ever. He wrote memorable, thoughtful, and inquisitive lyrics that still keep me asking the big questions.

Tony passed unexpectedly in his sleep in 2012. The cause of death was not publicly disclosed, and for his family's sake, I ask that we do not speculate here either as his wife and family may be reading this thread.

Tony left behind a wife, two daughters, and a musical legacy. A small snippet of that musical legacy is captured in his first proper solo album,12 Song Program.

Here is a small write up I pieced together from my thoughts, as well as several eloquent reviewers before me:

12 Song Program is the first solo full length from No Use for a Name’s Tony Sly, and, as the title suggests, it’s a stripped-down, straightforward affair. Sly sets aside his band’s driving pop-punk in favor of lovelorn, isolated acoustic numbers. Oddly enough, though it’s a spare set, it’s actually got much more focus and energy than the last couple No Use records. The best stuff here — like “Via Munich” and “Keira” — Sly’s weathered voice fills up these songs of lonely drinking and longing. The best track here, “Amends”, pairs him up with the other resident singer-songwriter over at Fat Wreck, Lagwagon’s Joey Cape, and together they offer the most melodically tight song on the album, with just a hint of country sway that distinguishes it from the pack.

It’s rather difficult to pinpoint a specific genre on Sly’s first acoustic album. Don’t go into it expecting just a bunch of acoustic pop punk songs because that presumption couldn’t be further from the truth. This was Sly’s chance to be creative outside of his band and he wasn’t afraid to toy with different sounds. ‘Amends’ has a definite country influence to it, but it’s very upbeat and features guest vocals from none other than Joey Cape. Both singers compliment each other very well, but they never sound better than when they are flawlessly harmonizing together. Sly’s vocals are also impressive on ’Keira’ and the guitar picking seems to be inspired by folk. Other songs such as the standout ‘Capo, 4th Fret’ lean towards more of a straight up acoustic rock sound and are highlighted by Sly’s beautiful singing. He certainly has a lower voice than most singers and it helps add to the emotion of the album. Rather than sounding high pitched or whiny, his voice fits every song rather nicely.

Accompanying Sly’s unique singing voice are honest and heartfelt lyrics that are likely to hit home with many people. In the more somber songs, he sings lines such as “The sound of ice in a bottomless glass tells me that all is fine” or “The sun is coming out, but only on one side of this one-sided town”. Those still curious of the mood of the album should look no further than the album cover of a man sitting alone at a bar. That’s not to say there aren’t some upbeat songs, but for the most part it is a gloomy record that captures the undeniable talent of the late Tony Sly.

For those who haven’t had a chance to hear No Use For A Name or Sly’s acoustic material, 12 Song Program is a great place to start. It’s likely to please almost anyone with its influences of folk, country, and rock, but those who enjoy acoustic guitars are in for a real treat. The album is one of Tony Sly’s greatest accomplishments that will hopefully be remembered for years to come.

Many critics note that the album seamlessly blends elements of punk rock and acoustic music, resulting in a cohesive and engaging sound. The songs are well-crafted and emotive, with Sly's distinctive voice perfectly complementing the music.

It's also a much more personal album than political or social. 12 Song Program immediately calls to mind the 12-Step Program, and that's a matter of design. What Tony Sly has put together here is a bit of a concept album, arranged to tell a story, a progression of soul searching that carries through from start to finish. So while some tracks stand out more than others, what works best about 12 Song Program is its feel as an album.

Overall, "12 Song Program" is a standout album that showcases Tony Sly's talents as a songwriter and musician. The album's ability to seamlessly blend elements of punk and acoustic music, along with Sly's poignant lyrics and emotive voice, create a listening experience that is both memorable and timeless. If you're a fan of well-crafted, heartfelt music, "12 Song Program" is an album that should not be missed.

Last, to buy this album, please head here:

FAT just repressed this in 2 colors - red/white and lime. The red/white is still available - usually in limited quantity. Otherwise, the black looks great too! FAT ships international (I think, 95% sure). If not, you can send the album to me, and I will send it to you :)

Edit: We may have grabbed the last of the red/white! Grab a black copy for now!

There's probably more I forgot, and more I will add. But - for now, please listen to the album, share your thoughts, and help the spirit of Tony Sly live on.

Last edited:
-----------------------
Archived intro / guess post / rules
----------------------------
Hello, and welcome to the Needles & Grooves AotM Vol. 48 - June 2023 Guess Thread!

I have been called upon to run another guess thread! If you missed us the first time around, it was a lot of fun.

This time, I am picking something that is very personal to me for different reasons. I can't wait to introduce everyone to the album, and am excited for you to listen along at home. But first - let's guess what it is!

The first person to correctly guess the AotM will receive $100.

Rules:
  • 1 Official guess per person (feel free to speculate as many albums as you want, unofficially) EDIT: This has been changed to TWO official guesses.
  • Official guesses should read like this: @scotthilk, my official AotM Vol. 48 guess is _________________.
  • Once you guess, you cannot change your guess - you're locked in! No deleting or editing your post once you’ve picked!
  • If multiple people guess the correct album, only the first person to guess it will win the cash. If others use their official guess on the same album and guess correctly, there could be a consolation prize.
  • I may or may not comment yes/no to guesses. The correct album will only be revealed when I am ready to announce it. I may continue to give hints even after a correct guess comes in.
  • I may or may not engage with you in this thread. Don't take it personally - it's all part of the game!
Good luck!

Hints:

(Only official hints listed. I may provide additional comments/info in the comments).

1) IMG_2933.jpeg

) Only one of the guessed connections below is correct:

@TenderLovingKiller® : “Well, if @scotthilk is unfamiliar with Cheers beyond a cursory knowledge, that means it’s probably elemental connection:

• Boston
  • Bar/Tavern
  • 1980s
  • 8 people in the photo

3) heydummy.jpeg

4) hint4.jpg

5) hey.png

6) IMG_2963.jpeg

7) “Named after a wild mint that grew in the area, the city was known as Yerba Buena, which means “good herb” in Spanish, until it was officially changed in 1847.”

8)

9) The artist / band / orchestra / groups is not Boston based, nor was the album released in the 80s

10) The number 8 has nothing to do with anything. Another number could.

11) I wonder what other threads might contain more hints?

12) IMG_3004.jpeg

13) IMG_3005.jpeg

14) @avecigrec ‘s guess of Stand! is not correct. Several other guesses also eliminated.

15) IMG_3010.jpeg

16)

17) Hint 13 has nothing to do with Superman!

18) At least one of the official guesses is very warm.

19) IMG_3092.jpeg

20)

Last edited:
Guesses:

1) Bloc Party - Silent Alarm (guessed by @Skalap ) -
2) The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Devils Night Out (guessed by @TenderLovingKiller® )
3) Masta Killa - No Said Date (guessed by @De La Diaper Baby )
4) Sly and the Family Stone - Stand! (guessed by @avecigrec )
5) Dead Kennedys - Live at the Deaf Club (guessed by @Hemotep )
6) Super Furry Animals - Rings Around The World (guessed by @imtheocean )
7) Primus - Sailing the Seas of Cheese (guesses by @Fillip J Phry )
8) Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview (guessed by @Joe Mac )
9) No Use For A Name - Hard Rock Bottom (guesses by @Wes C. Attle )
10) Goldfinger - Hang Ups (guesses by @girlnevergoesout )
11) Bad Astronaut - 12 Small Steps, One Giant Disappointment (guessed by @Hemotep )

12) Tony Sly - 12 Song Program (guessed by @D Jilla )
13) Mad Caddies - Punk Rocksteady (guessed by @Poly-Rythmo )
14) Me First and the Gimme Gimmes - Blow in the Wind (guessed by @avecigrec )
15) Me Fist and the Gimme Gimmes - Have A Ball (guessed by @Fillip J Phry )
16) NOFX - Heavy Petting Zoo (guessed by @mgp )
17) Mad Caddies - Rock The Plank (guessed by @cul8er )
18) Joey Cape - Let Me Know When You Give Up (guessed by @Wes C. Attle)

Last edited:
What's gonna suck is when I make a guess and don't claim it as official and it is the album and I lose out....

Exactly my thoughts and for this precise reason and because after 3 years giving the same guess every damn month, I cannot see my favorite guess being picked and me staying on the side line.

@scotthilk, my official AotM Vol. 48 guess is Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

do you keep a camelcamelcamel watch on it… i got
mine for 170 at evil corp i want to say a year ago.

A whatthefuckwhonow?!

I've just been watching Taz because I like them a lot and it's well above their free shipping threshold. It's been in their blowout bin since the end of November, I think. There were 4 copies then, there are 3 now.

A whatthefuckwhonow?!

I've just been watching Taz because I like them a lot and it's well above their free shipping threshold. It's been in their blowout bin since the end of November, I think. There were 4 copies then, there are 3 now.

it’s a site you can use to watch prices of items on evil corp - you get an email when the price drops to the threshold you set. i often put boxsets on there with prices i’d like.

Cheers!

So many possibilities with this one...
  • There are 8 people in the pic.
  • Cheers is based in Boston.
  • The cast of Cheers had many rotating members throughout the years with a core of about 4 constant members. (Though Cliff is oddly cut out of this image... intentional?)
  • One member died recently.
  • Many members of this group went on to other successful gigs after their run ended.
  • Piano music? 🎵You wanna go where everybody knows your name.🎶🎹

Cheers!

So many possibilities with this one...
  • There are 8 people in the pic.
  • Cheers is based in Boston.
  • The cast of Cheers had many rotating members throughout the years with a core of about 4 constant members. (Though Cliff is oddly cut out of this image... intentional?)
  • One member died recently.
  • Many members of this group went on to other successful gigs after their run ended.
  • Piano music? 🎵You wanna go where everybody knows your name.🎶🎹
Missing Diane too

Back