Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 48 - June 2023 /// Tony Sly - 12 Song Program

In high school, there was a time when my favorite bands were Less Than Jake, NOFX, MxPX, and Goldfinger (side story: I had a shirt that looked like the goldfish crackers box but it said “Goldfinger” instead and one time Fred Durst saw my Goldfinger shirt and raved about the band and how they were
his best friends. Anyways.)

For one brief summer I had bleached, spiky hair and went to all the ska punk shows at the all ages club in Tacoma. Fred Meyer (a local grocery store) had an electronics department that had an impressive CD section and they had listening stations with featured albums, often less mainstream artists that were priced at $7. They seemed to always feature Fat Wreck artists, so I really stocked up on their catalogue and I loved all of it. That was when I first heard NUFAN and I bought Making Friends immediately after hearing the opening dialogue: “What’s your name?” “Fuck YOU, that’s my name!” It was the punkest opening to a record I had ever heard and their music/harmonizing reminded me of NOFX which made the purchase a no-brainer.

I honestly can’t explain why I didn’t continue following NUFAN after that; I don’t even remember seeing More Betterness! being released, but the internet was still in its infancy at that time. By the time I was off to college, my skate punk days were behind me, and I bought Less Than Jake’s Borders & Boundaries out of a sense of obligation, but it felt like my signing off from the genre.

Luckily the Hard Rock Bottom PIF from @scotthilk (in addition to a Mad Caddies classic and Hi-Standard, a band I was unfamiliar with), I was reintroduced to NUFAN/Fat Wreck and am sorry to have missed all of those records when they were first released. I’m treading lightly now, because I love a good rabbit hole and will often buy an artists’ entire discography if I’m not careful (I see you sitting there, NUFAN box set…), but for now I’m going to try to track down a copy of Making Friends for nostalgic reasons, as well as the Tony Sly/Joey Cape Acoustic record that I mentioned before because it’s a gorgeous record. And then More Betterness!, and then Leche Con Carne!, and then -uh oh…

I’ve been listening to this Tony Sly album these past few days as I drive to and from work and it truly is wonderful, and although in style it is quite different from those skate punk records, the harmonies and songwriting really do take me back. Thanks again, @scotthilk !!
Thank you for such a great and thoughtful response. I love going down a good musical wormhole, and I think this is a great place to do so!

If you end up getting pretty deep in the wormhole, the tribute album to Tony is freaking insane. It’s basically every FAT (and more) band covering a different Tony Song. It’s stellar!

I also fell fast in love with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes because I loved punk rock covers, so it was a very obvious one for me - I listened to their CDs a bunch when I worked at HMV but never owned one.

Back in the pre-torrent days when we were downloading just a couple of songs at a time, I would often search for random punk covers which I would then burn on to CDs to pepper into mixtapes.

Speaking of both NUFAN and loving punk covers...

Holy fucking fuck is the hidden track cover medley on Leche Con Carne! just absolutely delightful and amazing!!

I'm both sad I've been missing out for so many years and elated to have bo discovered it.

The rest of the album is great on first listen too, but that medley is just 👌

Thank you for such a great and thoughtful response. I love going down a good musical wormhole, and I think this is a great place to do so!

If you end up getting pretty deep in the wormhole, the tribute album to Tony is freaking insane. It’s basically every FAT (and more) band covering a different Tony Song. It’s stellar!
I second this, fantastic tribute album!

We're doing origin stories now? Discovering music sure was a different experience back in the day.

For me, I will never forgetting popping this particular snowboard video into the old VHS player, and this bass line made me stop whatever else I was doing. I was 13 or 14 and thought it was just about the coolest f'ing thing I'd ever seen. It definitely altered the soundtrack (and other things) to the next decade of my life.

Sorry to hijack the thread, Scott!

Speaking of both NUFAN and loving punk covers...

Holy fucking fuck is the hidden track cover medley on Leche Con Carne! just absolutely delightful and amazing!!

I'm both sad I've been missing out for so many years and elated to have bo discovered it.

The rest of the album is great on first listen too, but that medley is just 👌
Glad you liked it! NUFAN has two cover albums/B-sides albums as well.

I enjoy their cover of Sublime's 'Badfish'. They played together on the first Warped Tour ever. Here's another random blending that makes my heart smile. I hope they Tony and Bradley are covering tunes together up in musical heaven.

And nufan covered my favorite Xmas song " fairytale of new york" with guest vocals from cinder block from tilt, which was one of the few female fronted bands on fat.the first tilt record "till it kills" is an often overlooked gem in the fat catalogue and unfortunately never had a reissue campaign

And nufan covered my favorite Xmas song " fairytale of new york" with guest vocals from cinder block from tilt, which was one of the few female fronted bands on fat.the first tilt record "till it kills" is an often overlooked gem in the fat catalogue and unfortunately never had a reissue campaign
I LOVE Tilt! I recently acquired "Till It Kills" on wax when I was trying to complete my FAT backlog.

Missed out on the fancy red repress, but managed to get the original press in black.

Image uploads are not working for me at the moment. Tried from the phone and computer 🤷‍♂️
It sounds and looks great though!
Image uploads are not working for anyone right now. Side effect of the migration to new site host/server. Renegade will get it back up as soon as possible. You can host through instagram/facebook/what have you and link but can't post directly currently.

Missed out on the fancy red repress, but managed to get the original press in black.

Image uploads are not working for me at the moment. Tried from the phone and computer 🤷‍♂️
It sounds and looks great though!

On closer inspection of the runouts, I don't think this is an original press. It looks like I'll have to make a new discogs entry....

Edit: For anyone looking for the new discogs entry.... Tony Sly - 12 Song Program

Last edited:
On closer inspection of the runouts, I don't think this is an original press. It looks like I'll have to make a new discogs entry....

Edit: For anyone looking for the new discogs entry.... Tony Sly - 12 Song Program
Thanks for doing this! Yeah, the new(er) one for sale on FAT is likely a new press. The OG was OOS for awhile before this round of represses (black, red w/ white and lime).

Back