Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 48 - June 2023 /// Tony Sly - 12 Song Program

Man, you guys are amazing. I remain convinced that this is one of the last places on the internet that's not filled with a-holes.

As for the pick, I'm excited to dig in. NUFAN holds a special place in my heart, and is one of only a handful of punk bands from that vintage that I continue to listen to. Once my teenage angst paid off (and I was bored and old), I lost interest in a bunch of those acts that I used to find tough or cool or poignant, but I think the NUFAN stuff holds up great... because of the songwriting, which makes it a bit odd that I've never spent much time with Tony Sly's solo stuff.

Man, you guys are amazing. I remain convinced that this is one of the last places on the internet that's not filled with a-holes.

As for the pick, I'm excited to dig in. NUFAN holds a special place in my heart, and is one of only a handful of punk bands from that vintage that I continue to listen to. Once my teenage angst paid off (and I was bored and old), I lost interest in a bunch of those acts that I used to find tough or cool or poignant, but I think the NUFAN stuff holds up great... because of the songwriting, which makes it a bit odd that I've never spent much time with Tony Sly's solo stuff.
LOVE THIS! I am super happy to see responses like yours and it sounds like a lot of us would have had fun at a Warped Tour together!

LOVE THIS! I am super happy to see responses like yours and it sounds like a lot of us would have had fun at a Warped Tour together!
First time seeing NOFX and Bad Religion was at Warped Tour, 2001 I think. The blow up sheep made an appearance. But Fat Mike just fucked around on stage and played like two songs, lol. Anti-Flag and Lagwagon were the highlights that year.

First time seeing NOFX and Bad Religion was at Warped Tour, 2001 I think. The blow up sheep made an appearance. But Fat Mike just fucked around on stage and played like two songs, lol. Anti-Flag and Lagwagon were the highlights that year.
most of the times I've seen NOFX live they were great... but they did a string of shows in NY in 2008 ending at the Crazy Donkey in Long Island and Fat Mike was COMPLETELY WASTED and I recall the rest of the band being pretty annoyed, especially Smelly, who got up and left for a bit and finally came back... it was not even a fun bad show, it was just a bad vibes bad show

Really enjoyed the album on first listen while I was working yesterday. I was driving and had to make a few stops along the way, so it wasn't the closest listen, but it was enough to know I'm very much going to enjoy going deeper with this one!

Also loving seeing everyone's punk origin stories here...

Smash and Dookie breaking through to the mainstream when I was about 13 was my first foray into the realms of punk. For most of the next few years, I kept it pretty vanilla following Green Day and The Offspring as well as seeking out their earlier stuff (I still love Ignition especially) when and how I could (keep in mind this was just before the age of the internet. I also dug Rancid too, though I only really knew ...And Out Come The Wolves - which I had dubbed off a good buddy with whom I shared an even bigger love of Nirvana and, at that time, Pearl Jam. It was sometime around the last year or two of high school I would start dipping into the Punk-O-Rama and Fat Music compilations, which I absolutely loved but was generally too broke through my early twenties to do much deeper diving on most of the bands other Bad Religion and, to a lesser extent, NOFX. Bad Religion is also the only punk show I've ever been to, on the New America tour which ended their major label era. (I did also see The Offspring at a festival-style event in 2001 but they didn't feel very punk by that point!)

The first time I ever listened to a No Use For A Name album was just a few months ago when @scotthilk PIF'd me a copy of The Feel Good Record of the Year. I loved the one spin I've given it so far, but because of an influx and my collection playthrough, I've neglected to go much deeper with it, or any of the rest of their catalog. I intend to change that over the next month and a half or so with this AotM and this thread.

Besides Punk-O-Rama and Fat Music, another MAJOR source of my somewhat limited punk experience during my formative years further cemented my love of NOFX and introduced me to the Vandals, thanks to Kung Fu Records, Alyssa Milano and Ben Affleck...

I still love the everloving fuck out of this soundtrack:

I also fell fast in love with Me First and the Gimme Gimmes because I loved punk rock covers, so it was a very obvious one for me - I listened to their CDs a bunch when I worked at HMV but never owned one.

Back in the pre-torrent days when we were downloading just a couple of songs at a time, I would often search for random punk covers which I would then burn on to CDs to pepper into mixtapes.

In high school, there was a time when my favorite bands were Less Than Jake, NOFX, MxPX, and Goldfinger (side story: I had a shirt that looked like the goldfish crackers box but it said ā€œGoldfingerā€ instead and one time Fred Durst saw my Goldfinger shirt and raved about the band and how they were
his best friends. Anyways.)

For one brief summer I had bleached, spiky hair and went to all the ska punk shows at the all ages club in Tacoma. Fred Meyer (a local grocery store) had an electronics department that had an impressive CD section and they had listening stations with featured albums, often less mainstream artists that were priced at $7. They seemed to always feature Fat Wreck artists, so I really stocked up on their catalogue and I loved all of it. That was when I first heard NUFAN and I bought Making Friends immediately after hearing the opening dialogue: ā€œWhatā€™s your name?ā€ ā€œFuck YOU, thatā€™s my name!ā€ It was the punkest opening to a record I had ever heard and their music/harmonizing reminded me of NOFX which made the purchase a no-brainer.

I honestly canā€™t explain why I didnā€™t continue following NUFAN after that; I donā€™t even remember seeing More Betterness! being released, but the internet was still in its infancy at that time. By the time I was off to college, my skate punk days were behind me, and I bought Less Than Jakeā€™s Borders & Boundaries out of a sense of obligation, but it felt like my signing off from the genre.

Luckily the Hard Rock Bottom PIF from @scotthilk (in addition to a Mad Caddies classic and Hi-Standard, a band I was unfamiliar with), I was reintroduced to NUFAN/Fat Wreck and am sorry to have missed all of those records when they were first released. Iā€™m treading lightly now, because I love a good rabbit hole and will often buy an artistsā€™ entire discography if Iā€™m not careful (I see you sitting there, NUFAN box setā€¦), but for now Iā€™m going to try to track down a copy of Making Friends for nostalgic reasons, as well as the Tony Sly/Joey Cape Acoustic record that I mentioned before because itā€™s a gorgeous record. And then More Betterness!, and then Leche Con Carne!, and then -uh ohā€¦

Iā€™ve been listening to this Tony Sly album these past few days as I drive to and from work and it truly is wonderful, and although in style it is quite different from those skate punk records, the harmonies and songwriting really do take me back. Thanks again, @scotthilk !!

Last edited:
Back