Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 45 – March 2023 /// The Men - New York City

Clues 6 and 7 were things that could be associated with NYC (or Montreal) since another viable guess at this point was Godspeed! You Black Emperor and I thought that might make it a bit more challenging.
Godspeed always felt like an outlier but was fun to see the numerical inversion give it the remotest of possibility! I definitely appreciate what you did with these two clues. All of them, in fact! But especially with these two given what was on the table.

And clue 3…

Like I said it’s a super obscure thing that no one was gonna get. A few years back the band was interviewed in Pitchfork about what some of their favorite things, asked about their favorite movie, they replied:

“In the van we'll watch VHS tapes. The one we watch the most is Uncle Buck. It's been viewed at least 10 times.”

since it was released recently I gonna suggest that everyone try to buy a copy from their Local Record Store as it should be widely available but for those that don’t have local stores…

I will get into this more in my write up but as I was deciding which album to go with I knew this was coming out and all of the preview tracks ripped so ultimately I went for it and I am happy with my decision. I think The Men have put out some pretty great albums recently but they seem to get lost in the shuffle a bit.

I will get into this more in my write up but as I was deciding which album to go with I knew this was coming out and all of the preview tracks ripped so ultimately I went for it and I am happy with my decision. I think The Men have put out some pretty great albums recently but they seem to get lost in the shuffle a bit.
I'm looking forward to listening to this one. I didn't even know they had anything new out until this thread. I haven't heard anything I haven't liked from the Men, so I have no doubt that this album is awesome. Open Your Heart is the only one I currently own on vinyl, so can always use some more! Ill try to stream it later at work and share some thoughts.

So, what does everyone think?

Do you enjoy The Men?

Are you familiar with previous albums?

What do you think about this record?

I am curious to get your takes on this months Album selection.

Completely unfamiliar with the band, so I'm looking forward to this as a completely new discovery for me.

I loved the guess thread leading up to this point. Great clues and an especially excellent curveball in choosing a brand new release!

Back