Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 45 – March 2023 /// The Men - New York City

TenderLovingKiller®

724CD950-93D7-4425-9702-EBD565AB19DC.jpeg

Buy it here:

Last edited:
Why I chose this album:

I signed up to choose a N&G AotM probably 3 years ago at this point and I’ve been thinking about what I would choose ever sense. I thought about choosing some hip-hop since it’s sorely lacking in these AotM selections. I thought about perhaps Souls of Mischief’s 93 til Infinity…

or Brand Nubian’s One For All…

but ultimately decided against it as I figured I should choose an album that represented myself wholly and as much as I love Hip-Hop I am still a Rock & Roll guy through and through.

My next thought was Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin’s debut album, Broom…

Which is an excellent indie pop album, but since last month’s fantastic selection was Wowee Zowee, I felt as though Broom would be a worth selection, it was a bit too similar and is dwarfed in comparison. So I decided to go another way. I decide to go with The Men, they have both been consistently brilliant and criminally overlooked, their versatility (within the scope of modern Indie Rock music) is something that really speaks to me. Initially I was thinking about choosing one of their more critically lauded albums (probably Open Your Heart or New Moon) but I knew they had a new album dropping at the beginning of the month and I really loved the singles I’d heard, New York City rocks both fast and loose; so I figured what the fuck, maybe those of you that haven’t kept up with their recent albums might give it a go and since it’s a new release it should be available pretty much everywhere.

New York City stands out within The Men’s discography, it consistently rocks harder than anything they’ve released recently but even compared to their earlier noisier output, this record is a different breed. Previous heavier albums came at it from a Post-Hardcore or No Wave, Sonic Youth-esque style whereas this new one is more Raw Power style Proto-Punk and Garage Rock influenced.

Since it’s release, I have listened to it several time (though I am still waiting on my Rough Trade exclusive vinyl that a pre-ordered over a month ago) and while the album has an initial visceral excitement bakes into it it also offers up enough pathos that New York City keeps drawing me back for more. The Men’s latest album, the bands ninth overall, might be seen as a “comeback” album by some but in truth The Men don’t have anything to “comeback” from. They’ve consistently made very good to great albums through out their run, some folks had just stopped paying attention.

Last edited:
Guesses.

@avecigrec Van Halen - For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge (wrong)
@panino Girls vs Boys - Cruise yourself (incorrect)
@Skalap It's The Doors – Waiting For The Sun (nope)
@jt4527 The Jesus and Mary Chain - Psychocandy (Nada)
@ByersVinyl Its The Beatles - The White album (not it)
@4080 Tina Turner - Foreign Affair (nah)
@Turbo The Replacements - Let it Be (not it)
@Lee Newman John Candy and NRBQ - Stormalong (no)
@Lee Newman Buckcherry - Black Butterfly (also no)
@4080 Verruca Salt - American Thighs (this woulda been a good selection, unfortunately it’s not right)
@avecigrec Def Leopard - Hysteria (all those points are valid, but it’s the wrong album nonetheless)
@Hemotep Broken Social Scene - Forgiveness Rock Record (not the one)
@Turbo R.E.M. - Monster (not correct but on the right track)
@Hemotep Queen - The Flash Gordon Soundtrack (that’s a negative)
@panino Daniel Norgren - Buck (Nay)
@4080 Guided By Voices - Under The Bushes Under The Stars (net)
@Matt M Sea & Cake - Moonlight Butterfly (no)
@jt4527 Abba - Voyage (Nuh uh)
@imtheocean Residents ~ Meet The Residents (Sad Trombone)
@ByersVinyl Blink 182 - Nine (Nein)
@scotthilk Idles - Ultra Mono (ultra no-no)
@Jan Brutus - Burst (Et tu, Jan?)
@Jan Caesar - Paper Tiger (better a salad than an AotM)
@Skalap Bloc Party - ? (WRONG)
@Skalap Minus 5 - White Album (wrongo friendo)
@Hemotep Minus 5- in Rock (in correct)
@ByersVinyl Minus 5 - Minus 5 (it’s not Minus 5)
@shinyteeth The Chordettes - The Chordettes (not it)
@4080 The Velvet Underground - The Velvet Underground & Nico (slipped on a banana peel)
@jt4527 R.E.M. - Monster (still wrong)
@CrazyDiamond84 RuPaul - Champion (sashay away)
@manonkouch Weezer - Everything Will Be Alright In The End (say it ain’t Noooo!)
@avecigrec Sonic Youth - Experimental Jet Set, Trash And No Star (Loser’s Blues)
@4080 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Murder Ballads (Where The Wild Roses “No’s”)
@Turbo Built To Spill - When The Wind Forgets Your Name (Never Right)
@Turbo The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (Dead Guesses)
@CrazyDiamond84 The Men - Open Your Heart (Wrong Candy)
@groceryboy Flesh For Lulu - Plastic Fantastic (this house of cards has fallen down.)
@Yer Ol' Uncle D Tuatura - The Loading Program (Not Loading)
@Joe Mac U2 - Pop (My brain is safe)
@Skalap Wu-Tang Clan - Iron Flag (More like a White Flag)
@Matt M Low - The Great Destroyer (Excellent album, but wrong #1)
@Matt M Magnolia Electric Co. - What Comes After The Blues (Excellent album, but wrong #2)
@Yer Ol' Uncle D The Band - Northern Lights Southern Cross (Western Wrong)
@ByersVinyl Depeche Mode - Ultra (Nada)
@avecigrec AIR - Moon Safari (Kelly watch the incorrect guesses)
@ByersVinyl Dexy's Midnight Runners - Too-Rye-Ay (Come on Eileen!)
@avecigrec Animal Collective - Centipede HZ Songs (Wrong Guesses HZ)
@avecigrec Soul Asylum - The Silver Lining (Never coming back)
@avecigrec CSN&Y - American Dream (Nope)
@jt4527 Slipknot - All Hope Is Gone (slip NOT)

Last edited:
The album is the eponymous debut by Placeholder. What did I win?
Per usual you’ve shown up way too early for the party. There’s Diet Rite in the fridge and If you wouldn’t mind, pour that bag of Cool Ranch Doritos in that chip bowl things should get going in a few hours. If you need me I will be showering upstairs.

Per usual you’ve shown up way too early for the party. There’s Diet Rite in the fridge and If you wouldn’t mind, pour that bag of Cool Ranch Doritos in that chip bowl things should get going in a few hours. If you need me I will be showering upstairs.
I love Diet Rite and cool ranch Doritos. So this is my kinda party. I'll bring the bagel bites so we can all burn the roof of our mouths with flaming hot "mozzarella".

Ok stop all this nonsense - Ive got it, its not The Doors or Girls Aloud or Jesus and the Mary Chain.

Its The Beatles - The Beatles (aka White album)
I had to think hard on this but I think the Fantastic 4 clue could work with the Beatles and and Revolution is a track on that album i beleive.

I left the other clues - I mean do i have to do all the work here !

Ok stop all this nonsense - Ive got it, its not The Doors or Girls Aloud or Jesus and the Mary Chain.

Its The Beatles - The Beatles (aka White album)
I had to think hard on this but I think the Fantastic 4 clue could work with the Beatles and and Revolution is a track on that album i beleive.

I left the other clues - I mean do i have to do all the work here !

It's not the Beatles, it's the Doors. Maybe it's Girls Aloud too, but definitely not the Beatles.

Back