Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 43 - January 2023 /// Aaron West and The Roaring Twenties - Routine Maintenance

tonythegamer

WHERE TO BUY:

US:

(This one’s on sale for the holiday season!)

UK:

(this one's also on sale!)

Managed to get this ready a little quicker than I thought, so hello all to this 43rd installment of N&G AOTM! Been a long time coming, and it’s finally time to show off one of my favorite underrated gems on this forum. I will reveal the album on December 15th, so people can have some time to order and get the album before the holiday rush if they’d like. Just as a note, whoever can guess the album correctly in this thread will be sent a copy of the album by me, so get your thinking caps on and let’s get this show on the road!

Clue 1:
1670083394706.gif

Clue 2 will come tomorrow :)

Last edited:
What could have been AOTM:

1. Aaron West and The Roaring Twenties - We Don’t Have Each Other
I’m not going to lie… my pick WOULD HAVE been this, if the album wasn’t so difficult to find on vinyl. I think I do overall prefer this album, with the wonderful songs Our Apartment and Divorce in the American South being highlights. I just felt that introducing people to this band at all is enough for me, so I did their second album.

2. Novo Amor - Birthplace
This album is transcendent. It’s basically if Bon Iver never moved too far from his For Emma Forever sound and evolved it beyond what it was there. Is it Bon Iver worship to the point of being almost indistinguishable from him? Yes…. but that doesn’t mean it’s not REALLY good at what it’s doing. Check it out here if you want.

3. Koji - Spring Song Vol. 1
This may be one of my favorite criminally underrated live albums. The covers that Koji performs with the audience singing along in this tiny, cramped space makes this album feel more personal and unifying than any other, and he knows this because the song lyrics themselves reflect this. It feels like singing along with a good group of friends at the bar.

4. Old Solar - See
Really, really great post rock album based on the seasons of the year. It truly is beautiful and alluring with its sound, but doesn’t hesitate to knock you in the face when it needs to be dramatic. Unfortunately, another one that is not very easily available on vinyl so it was not to be.

5. High Command - Beyond the Walls of Desolation
A kickass throwback thrash metal album, it really lives in the 80s and 90s sounds of the genre. Really gives off Kreator vibes if you’re into that sort of thing. Vinyl for this one is starting to get a bit difficult to find though.However, they also just announced their newest album which is up for pre-order now, so give that one a preview too!

Last edited:
WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN PART 2

6. The Newfound Interest in Connecticut - Tell Me About The Long Dark Path Home
This one finally got a pressing last year, after being a highly underground emo/post-rock release for the last 16 years. Incredible release and one that I’m glad has seen some resurgence over the past years. Unfortunately, the vinyl pressing is starting to get difficult to find now (I could only find one on ebay), so I couldn’t pick this one in good faith.

7. Diablo Swing Orchestra - Pacifisticuffs
Really fun metal album mixed with big band jazzy swing elements. It is a bit gimmicky, but that doesn’t mean I don’t enjoy what I’m hearing in cuts like Superhero Jagganath and The Age of Vulture Culture. Sadly, with the release of their latest album, the band has let this one go out of press. Give it a try if this kind of fusion sounds like a good time.

8. Melted Bodies - Enjoy Yourself
Now, if Novo Amor was Bon Iver worship, these guys are partaking in a lighter form of System of a Down worship. These guys take what they establish and make something new and creative with it. Give it a try if you wish they would come back (ಥ_ಥ)cause it definitely has a lot of SOAD-isms packed into it. Unfortunately, it's gonna be kind of tough to find on vinyl. (are we sensing a pattern here?)

9. We Were Promised Jetpacks - These Four Walls
This album was reissued alongside Midnight Organ Fight from Frightened Rabbit in 2022, but unfortunately I think it got a little lost in the shuffle. This is a captivating indie rock release from this band, and it helps too that the vinyl release also makes this album sound the best it ever has. Give it a listen if you can.

10. Caitlin Rose - Own Side Now
Really beautiful country/americana release from Caitlin Rose. This album has so many heartfelt, touching songs about life and love that just feel right. Just recently got an anniversary repress so thankfully this is one that’s actually easy to get on vinyl if you like how it sounds!

Last edited:
Shoot forgot one:

Reserved for guesses.

1. Denzel Curry - MMESYF @avecigrec
2. Slum Village - Fan-Tas-Tic Vol. 1 @NewsFedora
3. The Vaccines - Coming of Age @avecigrec
4. Built To Spill - When the Wind Forgets Your Name @cul8er
5. The Middle East - I Want That You Are Always Happy @avecigrec
6. Blind Melon - S/T @avecigrec
7. Regina Spektor - Soviet Kitsch
@avecigrec
8. Purple Mountains - S/T @duke86fan
9. Alex Lahey - The Best of Luck Club @avecigrec
🥳🎉10. Aaron West and The Roaring Twenties - Routine Maintenance @Hemotep🥳 🎉

Last edited:
Is it bad to say I’ve actually never heard this one before? Huh, should give it a whirl

Not bad at all - I'm actually in the same boat. This just came up down one of the, likely wrong, trails I've been sniffing.

...I'd actually have a hard time lining it up to more than one of the clues, and even that one is likely not the proper take on the clue! 🤣

Not bad at all - I'm actually in the same boat. This just came up down one of the, likely wrong, trails I've been sniffing.

...I'd actually have a hard time lining it up to more than one of the clues, and even that one is likely not the proper take on the clue! 🤣
Gotta say, first 10 minutes are pretty stellar. Pretty hard to find a decent vinyl copy though
1670387798210.gif

Clue 4:

Golden-Honey-Os-cereal.png

Back