Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 40 - October 2022 /// 🎃/// Tash Sultana - Flow State

First a few of the remainder of my planned clues. One of them I am both proud and ashamed of coming up with, since I detest one of the images.

donald-trump-shouting-you-re-fired-cartoon-caricature-73545369.jpgE.T..jpg

And I was trying to come up with something clever for flamingos and cactus since Tash displays those on their stage when performing.

I summarized most of the clues, but what I was hinting at with Caroline Rose and, who nobody seemed to recognize Sleigh Bells, is I've seen them live. I think there are at least a few posts by me expressing that in this forum. Here are a few pics....

IMG_20190512_221328_3.jpg
IMG_20190512_221901.jpg
IMG_20190512_222417.jpg

.... and what's spinning now ....

PXL_20220904_002506211.jpg

I fell in love with Tash when their video Notion came out. I was lucky enough to grab that vinyl, which is now goes for a pretty good price on discogs. I also was able to get randomly selected to receive a promotional 7" though a bit disappointing since it was only 30 seconds of one song. Regardless, I am still a fan and have all Tash's albums available on vinyl.

The pics above are from a show Tash did in North Carolina May 2019. Tash never came to Louisville (my location) before so that was the closest Tash came so my wife and I went on a road trip. It was awesome. We got there early and was literally on the rail. I pissed of at least a few folks since I am quite tall, I paid the same, I didn't care lol. (I usually an cognizant and let shorter folk through to the front, but in this case I really wanted to be up front). Anyway, that show was awesome. Tash tried to come through Louisville since then, but covid and all of that... Hopefully one day They will make their way back here.

So I am glad that you all are excited for Tash. I really think they are going to get more popular and become even greater in the coming years!

As for the clues:

irst clue sacks of phones = saxophone
second clue 50 +7 x 0 -100 / 2 + 200 = 200
secondary second clue mass = 200g So this one for Tash is probably a bit of a stretch, but I found it interesting at least. I searched for 200 g + Sultana and that is what came up!
third clue solo artist, keyboards, performance that I've seen live
fourth clue tribal and 45, 45 RPM, (headhunter for Herbie Hancock) Also this struck me as funny (as a contributor to discogs):
1662252879057.png
The tribal theme is also part of the artwork on Flow State
fifth clue OMG, nobody recognized Sleigh Bells! Anyway, Bells are one of many instruments played by Tash, also I have seen them perform live.

This was more fun than I anticipated. I don't know why I was so intimidated to add my name to the list earlier. I hope you all enjoyed my wild clues. 🍻

Here are a few places to get this album:

Amazon product ASIN B07DL8GGHD

oh and one last subtle clue.... 🎃 orange is like the album cover :p

Last edited:
This is actually what's currently in front of the NEW IN stack chez nous:

20220903_183320.jpg

I wanted to throw it on the platter in honour of this AOTM being officially announced but of the 26 records that arrived just before and during our trip, this is one of two that are technically my wife's, so I have to wait for her to crack the plastic before I can spin it. I finally convinced her we should pull the trigger on it when I streamed it over breakfast the morning after we saw Tash last month! Flow State and Notion EP were two of the very first pick-ups my wife added to our collection and Terra Firma is the only album that she's ever pre-ordered so it's nice we've rounded out the collection thus far. I wasn't familiar with Tash until my wife first played them. I found every spin quite enjoyable over the past couple of years but was really well and truly floored seeing them live. Absolutely top-tier performer; it was one helluva show! Not only was their performance incredible but it was one of the most diverse and energetic crowds I've ever experienced in this city (which is typically well known for being decidedly UN-rowdy.)

This is actually what's currently in front of the NEW IN stack chez nous:

View attachment 150447

I wanted to throw it on the platter in honour of this AOTM being officially announced but of the 26 records that arrived just before and during our trip, this is one of two that are technically my wife's, so I have to wait for her to crack the plastic before I can spin it. I finally convinced her we should pull the trigger on it when I streamed it over breakfast the morning after we saw Tash last month! Flow State and Notion EP were two of the very first pick-ups my wife added to our collection and Terra Firma is the only album that she's ever pre-ordered so it's nice we've rounded out the collection thus far. I wasn't familiar with Tash until my wife first played them. I found every spin quite enjoyable over the past couple of years but was really well and truly floored seeing them live. Absolutely top-tier performer; it was one helluva show! Not only was their performance incredible but it was one of the most diverse and energetic crowds I've ever experienced in this city (which is typically well known for being decidedly UN-rowdy.)
Love this!

That sucks!
I hope you get a clean copy!

I went for a yellow/orange copy from Rough Trade so I'd get a different pressing run. Yours is good?

(mine had a mis-applied label on one side - stuck into the run-out grooves, and some prominent distortion in the 1st track of side 2... hoping the distortion is not run-wide, but I would think it would have been reported if it was. i was thinking getting it from a different pressing run from the black vinyl might help here.)

Last edited:
Yeah, my copy is good. It is called a deluxe edition. Maybe that just means is it is orange. There are many variants, I hope you get a good one!

Whatever you linked to at rough trade is what I got. I believe it is the yellow/orange deluxe edition. I'm sure I just got unlucky with the black vinyl copy and then I just couldn't exchange it at Amazon because it was their last copy.

Tash on the Sax

Tash Sultana Fender Sessions 2021

Tash at Lonely Lands Studios showing how they put together a song, (musk)

Song "Mystik," Sax at bout 6:40

There are a whole series of videos in the Live at Lonely Lands Records. Pop out one of the above windows to view in youtube and there should be the whole list. 🍻

Back