Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 4 - October 2019 /// Camarón de la isla - La leyenda del tiempo

Not for nothing, but I like this better than La leyenda del tiempo. My guess is that the later album is a little less challenging - this certainly seems to fit what I thought of flamenco prior to listening to the other. This is fun and enthusiastic and makes me want to dance....

Not for nothing, but I like this better than La leyenda del tiempo. My guess is that the later album is a little less challenging - this certainly seems to fit what I thought of flamenco prior to listening to the other. This is fun and enthusiastic and makes me want to dance....

I can totally understand someone liking this record over La leyenda, it is undoubtly one of the greatest flamenco records ever made. I think both are challenging in their own way: Como el Agua is challenging in that it has fewer "western" or "popular music" elements, therefore coming across as a more exotic album. La leyenda del tiempo, on the other hand, feels (at least to me) like a more experimental excercise, only that its way of being experimental is by incorporating elements of music that we are all more used to.
I'm glad you're enjoying Camarón :) his ability to convey raw and unfiltered emotion makes him one of my favorite artists of all time, and the fact that he was always backed by such guitar titans definitely helps.

Where did you pick it up? Asking for a friend...

So as the end of the month is near, I would like to thank you all for guessing, listening and discussing. I had a lot of fun, and I wish the buying/listening/discussing part could have had more participants, but unfortunately the record went out of stock and I know that (plus the fact that it was a genre they may have not been familiar with) could have thrown some people off. I appreciate those of you that wen't ahead and streamed the record regardless, or even went as far as buying a different Camarón record, and encourage others to do the same. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted in case there is any news on a repress, and please feel free to use this thread as the de facto flamenco thread. If you have any thoughts or comments on this record, Camarón, or any other flamenco artist, I would love to hear them. Thanks again y'all!

So as the end of the month is near, I would like to thank you all for guessing, listening and discussing. I had a lot of fun, and I wish the buying/listening/discussing part could have had more participants, but unfortunately the record went out of stock and I know that (plus the fact that it was a genre they may have not been familiar with) could have thrown some people off. I appreciate those of you that wen't ahead and streamed the record regardless, or even went as far as buying a different Camarón record, and encourage others to do the same. Trust me, you won't regret it.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted in case there is any news on a repress, and please feel free to use this thread as the de facto flamenco thread. If you have any thoughts or comments on this record, Camarón, or any other flamenco artist, I would love to hear them. Thanks again y'all!
Thank you for the great pick. I’ve enjoyed listening to both, a lot. They are great records and very different from each other. The musicality is of the charts and you’ve grown my flamenco collection and knowledge by a bit.

Btw @NathanRicaud, I would love to hear your thoughts on this pick if you ever have the chance to stream it. I love your descriptions of records, and would like an honest opinion on this one too :)
When I previewed this album, I instantly fell in love! But I’m going to give it a dedicated listen and will give my thoughts! So far, it’s easily my favourite N&G AOTM, even though I haven’t fully listened to the album! One thing I always thought though was that Rosalìa’s “QUE NO SALGA LA LUNA” sounded like a more gloomy, semi-slowed down version of Camarón’s “Homenage a Federico (Bulerias)” both vocally and melodically! Rosalìa’s voice being more intense of course, but still I hear similarities in the tone. Definitely the guitar riffs both have that harp, contemplative yet playful sound.

But I’m going to give a dedicated listen and really express my thoughts. I really want to spin this on my turntable though! I know I would even be more expressive if I had this on my speakers via the turntable!

Again, amazing pick and an amazing set of clues to go with this incredible pick! 🔥🔥🔥

I'm going to Spain next year!!!!
Super excited about this, we're making a tour of Andalucia!
I'm going this Christmas too :) Andalucia is beautiful, and the food is delicious, I'm sure you will have a great time.
Pro tip: If you're going during summer, find something to do indoors from 1 to 4 PM, and if you're going to Granada, buy your Alhambra tickets online a couple of weeks before.

I'm going this Christmas too :) Andalucia is beautiful, and the food is delicious, I'm sure you will have a great time.
Pro tip: If you're going during summer, find something to do indoors from 1 to 4 PM, and if you're going to Granada, buy your Alhambra tickets online a couple of weeks before.
We're going late February.
Tips appreciated!

Back