Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 37 - July 2022 // Smoking Popes- Into the Agony

Tys1

19FB9DDF-28A6-423A-8752-A719C48DEB61.jpeg

As we now know, our journey for our July AotM has come to an end! I had a time putting these clues together and hope that you guys involves and sleuthing had fun too! The album I chose was The Smoking Popes- Into the Agony. Here's why!

Personal:
1. More than anything, I just want people to know about this amazing group that carries tons of respect amongst those whos sound they inspired (there's a lot). Hearing some of their early cuts was the first time I personally realized that punk music could be instantly recognizable as punk, yet wayyyy different than their peers. They had their five minutes of fame, got picked up by Capital records, then shortly afterward dropped from the label after an acquisition change... then, sadly, swiftly forgotten. The industry really sort of undeservedly let them down.

2. My greatest hope is that everyone reading is at a point in their life where they are stable and happy. Being realistic though, I know that might not be the case for some. And if you're at a place like that now please know that there are lots of people here that have your back and that you can confide in (shoutout to https://www.needlesandgrooves.com/t...ort-thread-fka-depression-support-thread.107/ ).

I'm sure I'm not the only person here that finds great reprieve in music during their dark times and finds certain artists or albums that speak to them and can lift their spirits up enough to where they decide to see the sun rise another day. Music saves lives, I firmly believe that. For me, the one band more than any other that has always done that for me is The Smoking Popes. Perhaps that may be because of the particular timing in my life when I discovered them, but I think it's more than just that. From the moment I heard them I felt an instant connection to both Josh Caterer's voice and his lyrics. All that stereotypical stuff friends say to make you feel better wasn't working for me, but when I heard these songs it made the world make sense just long enough for me to get my head on straight.

The Music:
I'd be lying if I said Into the Agony would be my first choice in their discography (Destination Failure and Born to Quit are very hard to find though), but it's GOOD! Really good! Especially after coming off an album of theirs that I wasn't too keen on. The difference? The drummer! That's right, the group is 3 brothers and a drummer. I never realized how reliant that great Popes signature sound was on the drums. Into the Agony sees the return of Mike Felumlee (who you may recognize from Alkaline Trio). The result is something that feels fresh yet recognizable. They try a few different things on this album that work well, some better than others, but in the end the album from start to finish is decidedly them.

Where to buy:
Preference (to support small one man indie label operation ran by the legend, Mike Park)

Discogs:

A playlist of my favorite songs by The Smoking Popes

For those wanting to dive deep and learn more about their interesting story and journey, I found this recent interview with Josh really interesting.

Everything from before the reveal found in spoiler below

Important 2nd stage development in the spoiler below
I've been toying with the idea of how I wanted to present this next stage. While my decision can prove to be tremendously helpful I feel like it can make for some fun twists as well. So, here goes.

Each of the main clues represents one of these categories, in NO particular order.

1. Artists name
2. Artists name
3. Album title
4. Artists place of origin
5. Album design
6. Label
7. Individual members
8. A project the artists was involved with

Here's the caveat: I will not tell you guys, offer hints towards, or give any indication of which main clue belongs to which category.

As a reminder, all mini-hints can now be ignored. And when we start to evolve these main hints we are just bolstering their potency. The new main hint won't necessarily replace the old one, but will give you more to work with.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the 37th (wow!) N&G AotM! I am excited to be sharing the month with you all! I'll be totally upfront and say that my goal here is to get my album guessed on June 30th whilst also providing a healthy level of clues and fun. I'd like every day to provide something new.

My idea (subject to change) is this, I don't want clues to be free. So I will give you mini-hints to get to the clue (these probably won't be too hard, but it's something to keep us engaged). Once the clue is revealed it will begin its evolutionary life. To best explain this I turn to a Pokémon analogy; The master clue once guessed would be Pichu. If I determine through observation that Pichu appears viable he will battle as such, but if not I may sprinkle in more sub-clues so that he becomes Pikachu. If he still needs more power I will provide even more sub-clues until he reaches his final evolution of Raichu. (Don't you dare get nerdy on me, I don't actually know everything about Pokémon and yes I realize there's probably like 40 evolutions of the little yellow bastard). I will list what evolution the master clue is at.

I also may sprinkle in several subtle clues in terms of my responses to people or maybe even going back to edit a post to make a word bold. These subtle clues, may be designed to throw off the scent just as much as they are designed to help you. (Only these subtle response clues may be designed to deceive, main clues and evolution clues will not be like this. Edit: changed my mind, maybe they will be, but not in a lame way).

A guess, without an explanation, will not be added to the list of incorrect guesses.

Thats really all! I will replace everything above with the write up for the album at the end of the month and will reserve two posts below this. One for hints and one for incorrect albums guessed.

Last edited:
Reserved for clues

Each of the main clues represents one of these categories, in NO particular order.

1. Artists name
2. Artists name
3. Album title
4. Artists place of origin
5. Album design
6. Label
7. Individual members
8. A project the artists was involved with

Clue 1:
Main hints:
1. Pickles
2. Yosemite National Park
Evolution level: II
99B04ABE-A8C3-4630-9DC1-C21270CFD9A5.jpeg

Clue 2:
Main Hints:
1.Bronze Wall Street Bull Sculpture
2. Wendy's
3. Deep Dish Pizza
Evolution Level: III
A9C78C94-492D-4B76-AF0B-0AD7C4C248BA.jpeg

Clue 3:
Main Hints:
1. Swedish Rapper, Yung Lean
2. The addition of a red filter
567949F0-156E-4191-A6EF-8A24DEA3181A.jpeg

Clue 4:
Main Hints:
1.Actress/Model/Singer Tia Carrere (she is not dyslexic, but I was when choosing this clue)
2. Dionne Warwick- That's What Friends Are For
3. Sonny and Cher
0843B31B-84AD-41B4-821B-4FDE950F826E.jpeg

Clue 5:
Main Hints:
1. This photo of Sitting Bull
2. This photo of Orville Peck
Evolution Level: II
DD23D86D-0535-487D-ADB9-266D20F745B9.jpeg

Clue 6:
Main Hints:
1. White
2. Big Black
0F077C0D-2CE2-40BF-A5FF-7C9FB3AA282A.jpeg

Clue 7:
Main Hints:
1. Silent Bob
2. St. Louis Cardinals player, Albert Pujols
3. George Carlin
2CEA2D0E-EF05-4CB9-B753-4FAB3078147A.jpeg

Clue 8:
Main Hints:
1. Bronski Beat
2. O, Brother, Where Art Though?
43AE83FA-F86F-4817-A218-3197508ED636.jpeg

Last edited:
Reserved for incorrect guesses

1. Mase- Harlem World
2. Macka B- Health is Wealth
3. Aesop Rock- Long Legged Larry
4. Skankin Pickle- Sing Along With
5. Pickles and Peppers- A Rag Oddity
6. Highlander- Motion Picture Score
7. Little Big Man- OST
8. Anything by Sonic Youth
9. Bronski Beat- Age of Consent
10. RATM- Bulls on Parade
11. Anything Pokémon, Darius Rucker, or Post Malone related.
12. Gillian Welch- Soul Journey
13. The Strangest Things Longwave
14. Songs for Dustmites Steve Burns
15. Per Second, Per Second, Per Second... Every Second Wheat
16. Night on My Side Gemma Hayes
17. Drveće i rijeke [Trees and Rivers] Pips, Chips & Videoclips
18. Cuatro Caminos Café Tacuba
19. Bad Timing Grand Mal

Last edited:
Also, I have to catch the clues and then make them battle. WTF?

I suggest renaming the thread THUNDERDOME.
Gotta catch em' all!
(To be clear, the Pokémon analogy was in reference to clues becoming stronger if need be, there are no "clue battles" being considered... yet)

Last edited:
Let's start working on getting our second Pokémon (clue) into battle. Here's your first mini-hint.

E10F2B33-FD87-4EE8-9882-70C5859ADA59.jpeg

Last edited:
Back