Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 37 - July 2022 // Smoking Popes- Into the Agony

Giving this a first cursory listen now while at work. I can't believe I am saying this, but I'm not sure this is for me. I'll give it the obligatory three listens before I make a decision.

I'm sure it is a fine specimen of the musical style being presented, but I'm not a particular fan of this kind of music. Emo is not really for me. It reminds me an awful lot of Pinkerton which is one of those celebrated albums that I just don't get. I've already got Pinkerton in my collection as a "project" record - can I see what others see in it? I listen to it about twice a year and go, "nope, still not for me." That album was sent to me by the other place though, so.... it was a different choice. It's also got a bit of a Mighty Mighty Bosstones feel to it, which I dig, but I can't get over the voice of the seeming lead singer and the feeling that its just sad sack music which is not something I'm interested in spinning a bunch.

I usually go into these blind, but I'm so backlogged on music on vinyl that I haven't listened to yet that I am becoming a little more frugal than one might expect.

No reflection on you @Tys1 or anyone that likes it.

Back