Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 36 - June 2022 /// Haley Heynderickx - I Need To Start A Garden

I will begin with complete transparency. In the years preceding my turn at the guess thread I have picked multiple albums and even began spreadsheets of clues. In every case I was thwarted either by wiley JQBXers or the state of the vinyl market over time. Meeting the criteria of being affordable and widely available is a relatively high bar if the additional criteria of bringing out something deeply meaningful to myself is also included. While my pick is relatively recent in time I did want to avoid pitching any new releases. I even decided that I'd let the possibility of an AMA be deciding factor and spent my lead up month soliciting various artists on Bandcamp to no avail. By the time I was expected to kick off the guess thread I did not have an actual pick in mind! Thus, the first couple posts with albums that I felt deserved it but were not available or never on vinyl were stalls for time and false clues to throw everyone off the trail.

I chose the album I did for a number of reasons. Anyone who knows much about my tastes in music could describe me as well steeped in women singer songwriters with a particular bent for folk sensibilities. I am easily wooed by forthright lyrics of emotional honesty. I love repeated lyrical melodies where the meaning or even the actual words shifts with each repetition. I am especially fond of messages that are delivered in layers ripe for personal interpretation while belying an artist's own unique experience. As Bill Hicks famously surmised, "...we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively... life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves". Music that brings me into that vibration is music that moves me to share with others.

I discovered this album through JQBX when @Goatfish played it for me. To be honest I had never really looked to see when the album was released until it became my AotM pick. I'll also add that I am a bit put off by the fact that it was a VMP release but let that go since promoting art of this stature is noble regardless who is behind it.

This music is nearly timeless as it is largely devoid of any contemporary references. Furthermore, it's a quick listen clocking in at 30 minutes and a few seconds. That fact alone has put it on my table numerous times. I have found that the melody driven aspect makes the overall album extremely approachable while putting in the effort to really listen to the songs rewards me with one of those perfect experiences involving a litany of seemingly disconnected images passing by while multiple layers of message start to form.

Haley has a unique voice and style that was very much solidified for me when I watched her and her band's tiny desk performance. Everything I thought I knew about her was only confirmed. I like artists who strike me as so profoundly connected to their message and presentation of it that I find myself shutting up externally so I can better explore my own relationship with the world around me.

I know simple singer-songwriter/folk arrangements are not everyone's cup of tea but I do feel everyone should have some shelf space reserved for the genre and that this album is worthy of taking a highly limited spot in there.

Now for the bad news. When I picked this album out the bandcamp page by all appearance had this record in stock for a perfectly reasonable price. In the past 2 weeks that status has changed to sold out. Haley is currently on "tour" doing performances in her area and my presumption is that she has taken her stock with her to the shows. I have contacted her to see if additional stock or imminent represses may come available. In the meantime, we were all so lucky this month to have 2 AotM's and that other album is 100% confirmed available.

I reached out for an AMA but got no response so maybe this little interview link will suffice.
If it makes you feel any better I don't think this was a VMP release, they just got a few copies for the store drop. Your latter point still stands.

Well chosen and one of my favorites too. Nice work.

interesting choice.. both are added to the playlist... i'm still waiting for someone to tell me if i should just make a year 4 playlist or combine all 3 playlists into one mega playlist of all years.. but the biggest tracks on the albums (and in MCBs case, the one that plays first on Bandcamp) are in the playlist on spotify and tidal

interesting choice.. both are added to the playlist... i'm still waiting for someone to tell me if i should just make a year 4 playlist or combine all 3 playlists into one mega playlist of all years.. but the biggest tracks on the albums (and in MCBs case, the one that plays first on Bandcamp) are in the playlist on spotify and tidal
You manage the playlist, I feel like you should do as your feel best with it.

If you get the chance, ask her to press more of her record. :)
And...she should be about due for another album. Some of her recent posts have actually hinted at this.

Missed this pick last year, but have been a fan of Haley for some time. Picked up the original Tiger's Eye variant when it was first released. Just took a peek, and had no idea it was in such high demand! Happy for her. I have seen her play quite a few times, including last summer on a farm just outside of Portland, opening for Andy Shauf. What a magical show that was. Looking forward to seeing her again in April.

Last edited:
Back