Needles & Grooves AotM///Vol. 31 January 2022///La Femme - Paradigmes

I figured I should go ahead and announce, since it's already been guessed and also it's close to the holidays so I want to make sure you guys have plenty of time to order it + listen.

Drumroll, please...

The December 21 N&G AOTM is...
Paradigmes - La Femme (shoutout to @Indymisanthrope for guessing correctly, even with my deliberately garbage hints)

a3533309114_16.jpg

I really struggled to pick out an album for this. I originally wanted to do Morgan Wade's album from this year, but apparently the vinyl has been sold out for awhile and it's almost impossible to get your hands on a copy now. So, instead of doing country (which I'm sure most of you expected), I decided to go in a completely different direction.

If you don't know, I went back to college in January of this year after nearly a ten year break. I'm majoring in English (and education). Part of the requirements for my school's English degree is taking two years of a foreign language. I originally signed up for ASL, but quickly realized I was in over my head, and reverted back to what I studied for a couple of years in middle school and then gave up: French. As an adult, I have absolutely fallen in love with the language. It is complex and challenging and beautiful and it's given me the opportunity to learn a skill I never thought I could. I ended up decided to double major in English/French, and the ultimate goal is to be licensed to teach both subjects.

One of my favorite aspects of learning French has been discovering French music. It truly does help immerse you in a language. With the help of @TheThinWhiteDuke, I discovered La Femme recently and I fell in love with this album. It's fun. It's funky. It's weird. Even if you don't know any French, you can still appreciate it. The beats are catchy and something that you can dance to.

I really hope you guys like this and give it a chance. I know it's a bit out there, but I promise it's a fun listening experience.

The December 21 N&G AOTM is...
Paradigmes - La Femme (shoutout to @Indymisanthrope for guessing correctly, even with my deliberately garbage hints)
I thought the hints were pretty good! Especially since I was definitely trying to find a country angle.

I ended up thinking about “the woman” as a clue; I was thinking about how it’s slightly unusual to use the definite article for that word in English, and on a whim I Googled “la femme orleans” and boom, there it was. Totally dumb luck!

This Limited RSD release may be of interest here:

Back