Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

I dunno, those two clues involving shields and that Converge dude had me seriously doubting Khemmis....Also, seriously, how many songs about shields can one man produce??? It was like he had a fetish

The link to that wasn't discovered. The Converge album was also a Decibel #1 album of the year (as well as the shields). So Kurt Ballou was the link for High on Fire, but there were more links to Khemmis.

The link to that wasn't discovered. The Converge album was also a Decibel #1 album of the year (as well as the shields). So Kurt Ballou was the link for High on Fire, but there were more links to Khemmis.

Forgot to mention, the Torche "shield" song album was also a Decibel #1. 2008 #1, Converge was 2012 #1, and Khemmis was 2016 --> 4 year gaps. And yes, that was intentional.

Probably too cryptic but I tried.

The album: Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

The artist: Nicole Atkins

Why did I pick this: I knew when this club was started that I would choose an album by a woman artist that was not hugely discussed on the forum. I waffled among a few picks (Electrelane was my #2 pick but the album I wanted is not cheap to find). And I just kept coming back to this album. I first listened to it when it came out in 2017 and immediately liked SOME of the songs. With so much music out there now, I found myself putting down the album and kind of forgetting about it for several months. But there was an earworm on the album that kept playing over and over again in my head. At first, I didn’t know what song or even what artist my brain was singing to myself. Then I realized, it was “Darkness Falls So Quiet.” “When I come back home, I sing stories to the, Shadows on my walls…” That part, over and over again in my head. So I went back and listened to the album several more times. And gosh damn, that song writing got into my blood and hasn’t left. This album is a grower. You’ll connect to some of the songs immediately but the rest will take a bit of time to sink in.

Every end of the year, I compile a playlist of my favorite songs of the year. I used to burn it to CDs and put it in my family’s stockings at xmas. Nowadays, they get a playlist. 2017 had 2 songs on it from this album: Darkness Falls So Quiet and Sleepwalking.

In the summer of 2018, a huge group of my family and friends got tickets to go see the Avett Brothers at Wolf Trap. Lo and behold, Nicole was opening! I made everyone in our group get to the venue in time to see her. Everyone enjoyed her, a lot. After her set, I went to the merch table. Nicole was at the table. I stood in line, patiently waiting for the people in front of me to HURRY THE EFF UP AND LEAVE! Lol. I got to the front and before I could say anything, Nicole said, “Do I get to sign your cast??” I had broken my wrist and was in a red cast. She saw me waiting with my cast and that is the first thing she said. I told her that is exactly what I wanted her to do! I told her the story of how I fell, how the hounds took themselves home and abandoned me in the mud and rain, in my pjs, with my dignity washed away and how Sarge stayed by my side. She signed my cast (pic to come).

We spoke a little more. She told me she was heading overseas the next morning on an early flight. This is where the typical Teeeee making an ass of herself comes in: I asked her if she thought she might be too hungover to catch the early morning flight. Oops. She was gracious about my stupidity. My stupidity will become more obvious if you read this article about what this album is about:

Review: Nicole Atkins, 'Goodnight Rhonda Lee'

This album has a lot in it. Some soul, Brill building sounds, a little wee bit of country, some killer piano fills and that voice. Hopefully you will find something you enjoy in it. Some of the highlight tracks for me:

A Little Crazy – a stunning vocal performance. You can definitely hear the Chris Isaak influence in here. The slide guitar and soaring strings.

Darkness Falls So Quiet – I love how this song feels like it could speed up at any point but Nicole’s vocals are keeping it in check. And her voice cracking in the chorus is sublime. The piano!

Listen Up – Nicole singing to herself to listen to the lessons she’s had to learn in life. The breakdown in this song is perfect.

Goodnight, Rhonda Lee – Nicole’s farewell to her destructive alter ego. Colors – Nicole’s acknowledgement that quitting drinking may not be that easy of an undertaking:

Everywhere I go
The only things I see
Are glowing brown and green
The bottle’s gonna kill me

Brokedown Luck and Sleepwalking – just straight up jams.

Nicole's site, the album is there:

A few other articles:

The album: Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

The artist: Nicole Atkins

Why did I pick this: I knew when this club was started that I would choose an album by a woman artist that was not hugely discussed on the forum. I waffled among a few picks (Electrelane was my #2 pick but the album I wanted is not cheap to find). And I just kept coming back to this album. I first listened to it when it came out in 2017 and immediately liked SOME of the songs. With so much music out there now, I found myself putting down the album and kind of forgetting about it for several months. But there was an earworm on the album that kept playing over and over again in my head. At first, I didn’t know what song or even what artist my brain was singing to myself. Then I realized, it was “Darkness Falls So Quiet.” “When I come back home, I sing stories to the, Shadows on my walls…” That part, over and over again in my head. So I went back and listened to the album several more times. And gosh damn, that song writing got into my blood and hasn’t left. This album is a grower. You’ll connect to some of the songs immediately but the rest will take a bit of time to sink in.

Every end of the year, I compile a playlist of my favorite songs of the year. I used to burn it to CDs and put it in my family’s stockings at xmas. Nowadays, they get a playlist. 2017 had 2 songs on it from this album: Darkness Falls So Quiet and Sleepwalking.

In the summer of 2018, a huge group of my family and friends got tickets to go see the Avett Brothers at Wolf Trap. Lo and behold, Nicole was opening! I made everyone in our group get to the venue in time to see her. Everyone enjoyed her, a lot. After her set, I went to the merch table. Nicole was at the table. I stood in line, patiently waiting for the people in front of me to HURRY THE EFF UP AND LEAVE! Lol. I got to the front and before I could say anything, Nicole said, “Do I get to sign your cast??” I had broken my wrist and was in a red cast. She saw me waiting with my cast and that is the first thing she said. I told her that is exactly what I wanted her to do! I told her the story of how I fell, how the hounds took themselves home and abandoned me in the mud and rain, in my pjs, with my dignity washed away and how Sarge stayed by my side. She signed my cast (pic to come).

We spoke a little more. She told me she was heading overseas the next morning on an early flight. This is where the typical Teeeee making an ass of herself comes in: I asked her if she thought she might be too hungover to catch the early morning flight. Oops. She was gracious about my stupidity. My stupidity will become more obvious if you read this article about what this album is about:

Review: Nicole Atkins, 'Goodnight Rhonda Lee'

This album has a lot in it. Some soul, Brill building sounds, a little wee bit of country, some killer piano fills and that voice. Hopefully you will find something you enjoy in it. Some of the highlight tracks for me:

A Little Crazy – a stunning vocal performance. You can definitely hear the Chris Isaak influence in here. The slide guitar and soaring strings.

Darkness Falls So Quiet – I love how this song feels like it could speed up at any point but Nicole’s vocals are keeping it in check. And her voice cracking in the chorus is sublime. The piano!

Listen Up – Nicole singing to herself to listen to the lessons she’s had to learn in life. The breakdown in this song is perfect.

Goodnight, Rhonda Lee – Nicole’s farewell to her destructive alter ego. Colors – Nicole’s acknowledgement that quitting drinking may not be that easy of an undertaking:

Everywhere I go
The only things I see
Are glowing brown and green
The bottle’s gonna kill me

Brokedown Luck and Sleepwalking – just straight up jams.

AH ! I ordered this ! I knew I could trust @Goatfish !

How the clues relate:

1. Female Artist – Nicole Atkins is a woman.

2. NOT one of Teeee's top 5 pop albums of the decade:

• Robyn - Body Talk
  • Beyonce - Lemonade
  • Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion
  • Taylor Swift 1989
  • Kesha - Rainbow
3. Post November 1964 (Ronettes album) – Goodnight Rhonda Lee was released in 2017

4. Artist born in USA – Nicole was born in New Jersey

5. Artist has never performed with Beyoncé – Alas, Nicole and Bey have not YET shared a stage

6. Artist's 4th album – per Wikipedia: Goodnight Rhonda Lee is the fourth studio album by American musician Nicole Atkins.

7. Genre is pop-rock/pop-singer/songwriter, not just "straight up singer songwriter". Not a choreographer. Not stereotypical pop. AllMusic lists Goodnight Rhonda Lee genre as pop/rock with these styles: Adult Alt Pop/Rock; Alt Singer/Songwriter; Alt Indie Rock. Metacritic says it is pop/rock.

8. Artist did not perform at Lilith Fair – Nope

9. @gouis (who doesn't like pop much) would/might/does like the album – This was my clue to signal that this wasn’t going to be the straight up pop that some thought it might.

10. Album is from this decade (2010-now) - 2017

11. Jeckyll and Hyde gif – The title Goodnight Rhonda Lee references an alter ego that Atkins would evoke when misbehaving.

12. The artist is still alive. Very much so!

13. EPs don't count as albums in Teeeee's counting of albums. – LOL. This was me trying to keep Angel Olson in the running.

14. JqBX got a clue but probably doesn't know it. – I literally played 2 songs from the album in the room and said it was possibly my pick and asked for feedback. Lol.

15. Sleepwalking gif – There is a song called Sleepwalking on the album

16. Artist has performed at Newport Folk Festival – Nicole joined others onstage this past festival. I believe she has also performed in years past.

17. Brill Building – Goodnight, Rhonda Lee has been described as having a Brill Building sound. From Allmusic: With songs that evoke the heyday of Dusty Springfield, Brill Building pop, vintage soul, and other classic mid-century sounds, and with a voice to match, the unapologetically retro approach turns out to be a winning one in practice, too. From Wikipedia: Nicole Atkins is an American singer-songwriter. Her influences include 1950s crooner music, 1960s psychedelia, soul music, and the Brill Building style of writing. Atkins has been compared to Roy Orbison and singers from the Brill Building era.

18. Leon Bridges, Roy Orbison, North Carolina, Guns n Roses – Leon Bridges connection – Goodnight, Rhonda Lee was produced by Nile City Sound, who produced Leon Bridges break through album. Roy Orbison – see above – she’s been compared to Roy. North Carolina – Nicole went to college in NC. Guns n Roses – Nicole recorded a cover of November Rain with Mark Lanegan

19. Chris Isaak – Wicked Game video – Chris and Nicole are friends. They co-wrote the opening track, A Little Crazy. And as @gaporter pointed out – Nicole has a fun past association with Chris.

19. Bruce Springsteen – For You video – I legit thought this would break it open. I had no idea Angel had any connection to Bruce. This is my favorite Bruce song from his first album, Greetings from Asbury Park. Nicole grew up in and around Asbury Park.

20. Italy – Nicole is of Italian descent.

How the clues relate:

14. JqBX got a clue but probably doesn't know it. – I literally played 2 songs from the album in the room and said it was possibly my pick and asked for feedback. Lol.

19. Bruce Springsteen – For You video – I legit thought this would break it open. I had no idea Angel had any connection to Bruce. This is my favorite Bruce song from his first album, Greetings from Asbury Park. Nicole grew up in and around Asbury Park.

OK JQBX crew! @gaporter and @Alexander were the ones in the room when I played the songs and asked for feedback! Lol. As several of you remembered, I had played Nicole in the room at other times as well.

And the For You video - I thought @blissfullychaotic or @Goatfish or @girlnevergoesout might get that one. That it was from Greetings from Asbury Park.

Back