Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 3 - September 2019 /// Nicole Atkins - Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

Okay, so I went through the entire pop thread to see if could gain any insight. I’d say roughly 99% of posts were about Carly Rae Jepsen, so not much help there 😂

However, I did see that @Teeeee is a big Kesha fan, so I will start with Kesha - Rainbow.

You have no idea how close I came to choosing this album. It really is one of my favorite pop albums of this decade. I thought long and hard about it. But opted for a non-top 40 artist. I wanted someone that didn't have as much exposure as Kesha. But I LOVE Kesha. And I love that album.

Can’t wait to discuss Goodnight Ronda Lee! I think it’s an amazing pick and I’m so happy you decided to go with an artist who hasn’t had as much exposure! Very impressed overall!
I'm psyched to hear your thoughts. @everyone's really. I just love how enthusiastic you get and look forward to you being able to put in writing what I feel about some of these songs. Because I'm bad at writing. But you mentioned the horns in the songs, so you are connecting with some of the aspects I love about this album!

The album: Goodnight, Rhonda Lee

The artist: Nicole Atkins

Why did I pick this: I knew when this club was started that I would choose an album by a woman artist that was not hugely discussed on the forum. I waffled among a few picks (Electrelane was my #2 pick but the album I wanted is not cheap to find). And I just kept coming back to this album. I first listened to it when it came out in 2017 and immediately liked SOME of the songs. With so much music out there now, I found myself putting down the album and kind of forgetting about it for several months. But there was an earworm on the album that kept playing over and over again in my head. At first, I didn’t know what song or even what artist my brain was singing to myself. Then I realized, it was “Darkness Falls So Quiet.” “When I come back home, I sing stories to the, Shadows on my walls…” That part, over and over again in my head. So I went back and listened to the album several more times. And gosh damn, that song writing got into my blood and hasn’t left. This album is a grower. You’ll connect to some of the songs immediately but the rest will take a bit of time to sink in.

Every end of the year, I compile a playlist of my favorite songs of the year. I used to burn it to CDs and put it in my family’s stockings at xmas. Nowadays, they get a playlist. 2017 had 2 songs on it from this album: Darkness Falls So Quiet and Sleepwalking.

In the summer of 2018, a huge group of my family and friends got tickets to go see the Avett Brothers at Wolf Trap. Lo and behold, Nicole was opening! I made everyone in our group get to the venue in time to see her. Everyone enjoyed her, a lot. After her set, I went to the merch table. Nicole was at the table. I stood in line, patiently waiting for the people in front of me to HURRY THE EFF UP AND LEAVE! Lol. I got to the front and before I could say anything, Nicole said, “Do I get to sign your cast??” I had broken my wrist and was in a red cast. She saw me waiting with my cast and that is the first thing she said. I told her that is exactly what I wanted her to do! I told her the story of how I fell, how the hounds took themselves home and abandoned me in the mud and rain, in my pjs, with my dignity washed away and how Sarge stayed by my side. She signed my cast (pic to come).

We spoke a little more. She told me she was heading overseas the next morning on an early flight. This is where the typical Teeeee making an ass of herself comes in: I asked her if she thought she might be too hungover to catch the early morning flight. Oops. She was gracious about my stupidity. My stupidity will become more obvious if you read this article about what this album is about:

Review: Nicole Atkins, 'Goodnight Rhonda Lee'

This album has a lot in it. Some soul, Brill building sounds, a little wee bit of country, some killer piano fills and that voice. Hopefully you will find something you enjoy in it. Some of the highlight tracks for me:

A Little Crazy – a stunning vocal performance. You can definitely hear the Chris Isaak influence in here. The slide guitar and soaring strings.

Darkness Falls So Quiet – I love how this song feels like it could speed up at any point but Nicole’s vocals are keeping it in check. And her voice cracking in the chorus is sublime. The piano!

Listen Up – Nicole singing to herself to listen to the lessons she’s had to learn in life. The breakdown in this song is perfect.

Goodnight, Rhonda Lee – Nicole’s farewell to her destructive alter ego. Colors – Nicole’s acknowledgement that quitting drinking may not be that easy of an undertaking:

Everywhere I go
The only things I see
Are glowing brown and green
The bottle’s gonna kill me

Brokedown Luck and Sleepwalking – just straight up jams.

I’m so excited! Awesome background. Can not wait to spin this and get acquainted with the songs more deeply.

Thank you for picking an under the radar album @Teeeee !

Does/Did she only tour under the Nicole Atkins & The Black Sea name? That's how she was billed when I saw her.
Yes sir! I believe that was her first band. So you saw her very early on in her career when she was more rock centric. She has evolved to a more soul influenced sound. She's just Nicole Atkins now.

She is working on a new album. I believe it is again just listed as her. And she's working with some Muscle Shoals peeps, if memory serves me correctly. So that's exciting!

Yes sir! I believe that was her first band. So you saw her very early on in her career when she was more rock centric. She has evolved to a more soul influenced sound. She's just Nicole Atkins now.

She is working on a new album. I believe it is again just listed as her. And she's working with some Muscle Shoals peeps, if memory serves me correctly. So that's exciting!

Awesome!

Ok, I am going in cold on this...but I am not at all afraid that I won't like it. Looking forward to spinning it!

I tried to order directly from the Nicole Atkins site but there is currently an error with the site and PayPal, but I will keep trying! Maybe it's jammed with people ordering, which would be excellent for the artist.

Back