Needles & Grooves AotM /// Vol. 25 - July 2021 // Dota - Kaleko

I can’t be the only person that says “full disclosure, no idea what is about to happen” to their significant other when they drop the needle once (or more times) a month:
01C8F97E-29FE-4888-81EF-A2C4A4379055.jpeg
Also, it’s a requirement for me to provide the following spoiler at this point:
this thing ain’t in American!

Hi,
i´ve got the lyrics booklet done. Since i do not want me or the forum in any copyright trouble i have a download link for it. Just pm me if you are interested and i´ll send you the link.

Disclaimer: I searched the lyrics from the net and found a few translations while i had to do most myself. I am not a native speaker so there might be some akward translation choices. I also tried to get as close to the words meaning as i could muster not so much to the rythm and melody of the wordiung, so they not read nicely as poems themselves. ( The book that @Ericj32 got does that better, so my translations might be pretty different) . But i hope these can convey some of the meanings behind the songs.

Sorry I haven't replied with questions!

Here are a couple after I listened to the record a couple of times.

What are your inspirations for your music style? A couple of songs have a bit of reggae vibe, such as the songs Främd and Einem Kinde Im Dunkeln, which are both great and I like them a lot!

Where is the worst smelling place you’ve been?

Last call for questions for the ama, so i can send out the e-mail tomorrow.

all the prior questions were great. I'd like to add

- the artist background told us about some of your formative music, but what are the current artists (in any genre) that either inspire you or that you just enjoy listening to to go out with friends or the like?

- what is your favorite venue to play?

- what instrument would you like to learn if you had the time and ability?

- coffee or tea?

- when you sing or write in other languages than your first, do you feel fluency in feeling or is it a mix of mental translation and repetition of sounds?

So, Dota wrote back really fast and wrote the e-mail in german, so i´ll paraphrase here. She wrote she is sincerly grateful for the positive feedback here and saying hello to everyone from the tour bus. ( I forwarded some comments from the tread) She answered the questions directly and apologizes that her english is far from perfect ( which i did not notice).

So here are her answers to your questions
I wouldn't be surprised if some folks, like myself, are still digesting the album and preparing questions eventually. In the meantime:

Top 5 Personal Fruit Ranking?

(s/o to @TenderLovingKiller® for asking this initially to Khemmis)
Blueberries, Peaches, Cherries, Oranges, Apples

I would ask if it’s easier or harder to write music for lyrics written by someone else? How long does it take to hear the melody and rhythm around these poems?
I think it was because of the specific poems by Mascha Kaléko, that I found it very easy to put them to music. It was a very intuitive process, mostly I felt the melody already with the first time reading the poem out loud. An important part was: choosing which songs to select for the album, because I put a lot more poems to music, than the final selection.
Was there one Mascha Kaléko poem in particular that you read which convinced you to make this album featuring her poetry?
1) It all started with "Chanson von der Fremde" - that was the first. The second was the duet idea, which came with "Einem Kinde im Dunkeln"

Have you heard from the "unknown audience member" who gave you the book of Mascha Kaléko's poetry now that this album has been released?
No. I never heard from him.
The song Kein Kinderlied sounds very brisk and playful, but the poem/lyrics could be interpreted as expressing loneliness and isolation. The music on this song sounds like there is a kind of genuine, joyful freedom in the isolation, or maybe the playfulness is a cover or mask for the pain of loneliness. How did you decide what this song should sound like for your album?
I think the song for me puts the emphasis on the movement. Someone (the speaker) who doesn´t feel at home anywhere anymore keeps on roaming the earth. yet, with this song I sometimes have my doubt, when playing it at concerts, because it feels a bit to cheerful maybe.
What are three places that you wish tourists would see when they visit Berlin?
There a many: I would always take my visiting friends up on the Fernsehturm, Hackerscher Markt, Tiergarten.
According to Wikipedia, "The main kinds of fruit used for German schnapps are raspberries, apples, pears, plums, cherries, and apricots. Fruits other than these six are rarely used." But in the UK and the US, peach schnapps is arguably the most popular. Do you have a strong opinion on which is the best kind of fruited schnapps?
yes. I do. the best ist Mirabelle. (a small plum)

Here are a couple after I listened to the record a couple of times.
What are your inspirations for your music style? A couple of songs have a bit of reggae vibe, such as the songs Främd and Einem Kinde Im Dunkeln, which are both great and I like them a lot!

I find it hard to answer. I guess all the music that I like finds its way into the music we play.
Where is the worst smelling place you’ve been?
I dont remember.

all the prior questions were great. I'd like to add
- the artist background told us about some of your formative music, but what are the current artists (in any genre) that either inspire you or that you just enjoy listening to to go out with friends or the like?
I really likethe brazilian songwriter Céu! The austrian band "Bilderbuch", the german band "Die höchste Eisenbahn" und "Das Paradies", the turkish/netherland group "Altin Gün", and (though it is rather mainstream) the american artists Mac Miller, Lizzo and Anderson Paak.

What is your favorite venue to play?
I really like "Festsaal Kreuzberg" in Berlin. And the "Gloria" in Köln. This year, I will play for the first time at the Waldbühne in Berlin - a place where I went to see the heroes of my childhood. I am really looking forward to it.
what instrument would you like to learn if you had the time and ability?
Drums.

coffee or tea?
Always coffee.
when you sing or write in other languages than your first, do you feel fluency in feeling or is it a mix of mental translation and repetition of sounds?

It is more repeating sounds.

What would be your dream show to see?
I would really like to see Chico Buarque live.
what would be your dream show to play?
I enjoyed pretty much every show I play - now with the pandemic, the shows got quite small, because the audience has to keep distance from each other. And I would really like to play shows again, where people can dance and sing and stand closely. Maybe a festival show would be cool. At "Melt" or "Haldern Pop" or "Roskilde"-Festival. That would be my dream.
Who would you like to collaborate with?
here a some: Feist, or PJ Harvey, Patti Smith or Khruanbin. Or maybe the brazilian singer Céu or Djavan.

And thanks to all off you for contributing. I tried to read all intervies on the album i could get my hands on composing the write-up, but there are some questions and answers here i never read anywhere else

So, Dota wrote back really fast and wrote the e-mail in german, so i´ll paraphrase here. She wrote she is sincerly grateful for the positive feedback here and saying hello to everyone from the tour bus. ( I forwarded some comments from the tread) She answered the questions directly and apologizes that her english is far from perfect ( which i did not notice).

I think it was because of the specific poems by Mascha Kaléko, that I found it very easy to put them to music. It was a very intuitive process, mostly I felt the melody already with the first time reading the poem out loud. An important part was: choosing which songs to select for the album, because I put a lot more poems to music, than the final selection.

1) It all started with "Chanson von der Fremde" - that was the first. The second was the duet idea, which came with "Einem Kinde im Dunkeln"

I think the song for me puts the emphasis on the movement. Someone (the speaker) who doesn´t feel at home anywhere anymore keeps on roaming the earth. yet, with this song I sometimes have my doubt, when playing it at concerts, because it feels a bit to cheerful maybe.

There a many: I would always take my visiting friends up on the Fernsehturm, Hackerscher Markt, Tiergarten.

I find it hard to answer. I guess all the music that I like finds its way into the music we play.

I dont remember.

I really likethe brazilian songwriter Céu! The austrian band "Bilderbuch", the german band "Die höchste Eisenbahn" und "Das Paradies", the turkish/netherland group "Altin Gün", and (though it is rather mainstream) the american artists Mac Miller, Lizzo and Anderson Paak.

I really like "Festsaal Kreuzberg" in Berlin. And the "Gloria" in Köln. This year, I will play for the first time at the Waldbühne in Berlin - a place where I went to see the heroes of my childhood. I am really looking forward to it.

Drums.

Always coffee.

I enjoyed pretty much every show I play - now with the pandemic, the shows got quite small, because the audience has to keep distance from each other. And I would really like to play shows again, where people can dance and sing and stand closely. Maybe a festival show would be cool. At "Melt" or "Haldern Pop" or "Roskilde"-Festival. That would be my dream.

here a some: Feist, or PJ Harvey, Patti Smith or Khruanbin. Or maybe the brazilian singer Céu or Djavan.

And thanks to all off you for contributing. I tried to read all intervies on the album i could get my hands on composing the write-up, but there are some questions and answers here i never read anywhere else

Great work

none of Teenage Fanclub dropped by….😞

I dont remember.

Drums.

Always coffee.

These responses are so great! Thank you for reaching out to her.

I dont remember.

Drums.

Always coffee.

oh this was wonderful! thank you so much for introducing me to her music, and for interviewing her for us.

I have some new venues and places to add to my visit list, and some more music to check out. I wonder if I can get my hands on mirabelle schnapps!

oh this was wonderful! thank you so much for introducing me to her music, and for interviewing her for us.

I have some new venues and places to add to my visit list, and some more music to check out. I wonder if I can get my hands on mirabelle schnapps!
I felt a little silly asking the schnapps question and it made me really happy that she answered it. I would love to try mirabelle schnapps.

Dota mentioned playing Berlin Waldbühne in her AMA. It was a festival organized by a local radiostation so it is only 25 minutes, but it is streamable here:

honest question.. IS there a legit US seller for this? if not i can accept doing the international shipping or discogs route but i wanted to know

honest question.. IS there a legit US seller for this? if not i can accept doing the international shipping or discogs route but i wanted to know
There wrre single copies on Amazon.com when I checked first but that disappeared, so I cannot find anything anymore.

But I appreciate your efforts anc know that money is somet8tight for you. So PM me your details and I'll pif you a copy. It may arrive I time for a not-so-secret santa

There wrre single copies on Amazon.com when I checked first but that disappeared, so I cannot find anything anymore.

But I appreciate your efforts anc know that money is somet8tight for you. So PM me your details and I'll pif you a copy. It may arrive I time for a not-so-secret santa
Oh yeah

That's coming

*Fidget*

Back