Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

Goatfish, can I get a list of albums I should check out next by Khemmis, please? I won’t do it right away because Lateralus is currently streaming, but it would be greatly appreciated. 🙏

The most natural would be Khemmis - Desolation or their debut, Absolution. If you want more of a traditional heavy metal sound go with the former, if you want more doomy/fuzzed out sound go with the latter.

Elder - Reflections of a Floating World was very close to being my AOTM and I think it’s another modern, genre defying, must-own.

If you have already checked those out and want to venture out for more doom, try Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction or Heartless. Sorrow & Extinction is a slow, crushing, melancholic epically traditional doom album with lots of tasty layers and soaring vocals. Heartless is more on the proggy side, but def is a doom record first and foremost.

If you want to go back in time to some forefathers, check out Judas Priest - Defenders of the Faith, Iron Maiden - Number is the Beast or Powerslave. This is assuming you’re already familiar with Black Sabbath’s first 6. Those are canon.

If you want some MODERN traditional heavy metal, Visigoth - Revenant King is a straight up modern classic. The follow up Conqueror’s Oath is good, but not up to the same standard IMHO.

From this year, the new Spirit Adrift - Divided By Darkness is very good as well as Haunt - If Icarus Could Fly.

TL;DR:

1. Khemmis - Desolation first
2a. Elder - Reflections of a Floating World
2b. Khemmis - Absolution
3. Visigoth - Revenant King
4. Pallbearer - Sorrow & Extinction
5. The rest

How dare you!!!

It’s fine...

Really...
Complete transparency here...

I like Velvet Underground a lot, but haven’t really been able to get into Lou’s solo catalog. I have your pick and Rock N Roll animal. I don’t feel I’ve given either enough attention and while I like Blue Mask well enough, it’s such a downer. I don’t know if you guys have ever noticed but I’m not as into Radiohead and The National as other folks with similar tastes. When I’m sad, I listen to NIN or Skinny Puppy and sad music doesn’t really speak to me when I’m good.

Idk. I can respect the talent and all, but Blue Mask is the aural equivalent of coming down from heroin and there’s a reason I don’t do heroin either.

Complete transparency here...

I like Velvet Underground a lot, but haven’t really been able to get into Lou’s solo catalog. I have your pick and Rock N Roll animal. I don’t feel I’ve given either enough attention and while I like Blue Mask well enough, it’s such a downer. I don’t know if you guys have ever noticed but I’m not as into Radiohead and The National as other folks with similar tastes. When I’m sad, I listen to NIN or Skinny Puppy and sad music doesn’t really speak to me when I’m good.

Idk. I can respect the talent and all, but Blue Mask is the aural equivalent of coming down from heroin and there’s a reason I don’t do heroin either.

Wasn’t aware you were a fan of heavier rock. Have you ever heard of an artist called Ronnie James Dio?

home for a minute and poppin' my head back in to ask,

have you seen black metal cats? it's the best

I would also love to see GWAR. But from a safe distance so as not to get fake blood spewed on me.

I have seen Quintron and Miss Pussycat a few times. They are a riot. I had dinner and drinks with them once. Really interesting, intelligent people that have an unusual dynamic.
I've seen GWAR a few times and it's a hoot. the best was watching them with Margaret Cho, who was having the time of her life, and her photographer friend, who was not after making the mistake of refusing a poncho for his gear.

home for a minute and poppin' my head back in to ask,

have you seen black metal cats? it's the best

I've seen GWAR a few times and it's a hoot. the best was watching them with Margaret Cho, who was having the time of her life, and her photographer friend, who was not after making the mistake of refusing a poncho for his gear.

That Twitter account is incredible. Followed.

Came home to Hunted in my mailbox. Spinning right now, and even better than streaming, of course.

Glad my girlfriend isn't there, because she would disapprove of this genre of music being this loud in the flat. :D

Enjoy ~40 mins of feeling like a rebel! I love when my wife is out of the house for stretches of times so I can blast my death and black metal records as loud as I please for this reason.

If only the wives realised that the only thing on our minds when they are away ..is records ... buying them, playing them, cleaning them , storing them , filing them , rearranging them , swapping them ,....

Selling them ..no fecking way

NNHAs4l.jpg

Back