Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 2 - August 2019 /// Khemmis - Hunted

On the theme of metal and Lou Reed @Goatfish do you have his album with Metallica, Lulu?

I don’t have it. Listened to it once and it was a weird experience. I’ve meant to revisit it, and I just might after I spin this tonight:

vkZDsud.jpg

I don’t have it. Listened to it once and it was a weird experience. I’ve meant to revisit it, and I just might after I spin this tonight:

vkZDsud.jpg
After reading this my thought was "huh, that'd be an interesting choice..."

Then remembered the "critical acclaim" hint.

I’m a fan of Lulu. I think it’s a really brave extreme album. Somewhere between Rock & Roll Animal musically and The Blue Mask lyrically. I actually love what Kirk Hammett plays on it, less solo and more ambient noise in places. I just wish Metallica had followed it up with a more extreme and experimental direction.

This is my favourite on it

And Bowie was a big fan of it too.

I’m a fan of Lulu. I think it’s a really brave extreme album. Somewhere between Rock & Roll Animal musically and The Blue Mask lyrically. I actually love what Kirk Hammett plays on it, less solo and more ambient noise in places. I just wish Metallica had followed it up with a more extreme and experimental direction.

I’ve heard negative reviews say Lou’s voice was like Grandpa Simpson. And I agree. If Grandpa Simpson was an S&M obsessed lunatic.

I think its a very interesting album and I definitely respect Metallica for taking a risk on a more experimental project. Both they and Lou had to know the crossover audience the two acts had was very small, so I'm sure they anticipated the reception it got. It's definitely not as bad as critics and fans made it out to be, but it's not surprising Metallica fans couldn't get on board with artsy, avant-garde spoken word from Lou Reed.

I think its a very interesting album and I definitely respect Metallica for taking a risk on a more experimental project. Both they and Lou had to know the crossover audience the two acts had was very small, so I'm sure they anticipated the reception it got. It's definitely not as bad as critics and fans made it out to be, but it's not surprising Metallica fans couldn't get on board with artsy, avant-garde spoken word from Lou Reed.

Definitely. For a giant juggernaut like Metallica to do that was amazing. I think Lars as a giant music fan and student of the entire rock oeuvre knew that Lou was dying (and by that note the rest of the band too) so this allowed them to feature in the last chapter of a classic discography. It also stopped people talking about Some Kind Of Monster

I just got home from my family's 4th gathering. My bro is in town with my nephews. For some reason, every single time we are together, we end up playing each other youtube videos. I think @Goatfish and @supahypeag will find it slightly amusing that I sure did play that Nightwish Phantom of the Opera video. And now my dad wants to join me in seeing them whenever Nightwish comes to town.

Cheers all!!

I’m really appreciating this thread. I used to listen to metal almost exclusively but I’ve been out of the scene for a long time. And it seems some bonkers stuff has come out since then. For example, there’s this bit of total delight.

I’m really appreciating this thread. I used to listen to metal almost exclusively but I’ve been out of the scene for a long time. And it seems some bonkers stuff has come out since then. For example, there’s this bit of total delight.

Funny story, I went to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers 3 years ago now (wow time flies) with Babymetal being the opening act. Me and my girlfriend were standing at the front with just 1 row of these massive 'biker' guys (big bearded dudes with leather jackets) in front of us. Babymetal performed and I was conscious that my girlfriend (who's shorter than me) couldn't get a clear view, she was having to strain a lot.

Babymetal finished their set and I was contemplating moving to the side so she could get a better view when the big dudes pivoted to look at us and started apologising, not realising they were blocking the view. They parted and urged us in front of then before saying they were going to the back now anyway seeing that Babymetal had finished. Turns out they have been to every performance of the tour, just to see Babymetal!

This is wild. This is manufactured pop metal with choreographed dance moves.

This isn't my cup of tea but I'm amused nonetheless.

This is wild. This is manufactured pop metal with choreographed dance moves.

This isn't my cup of tea but I'm amused nonetheless.
agree about the amusement.
but it's terrifying to see this kind of band filling a stadium!
choreographed dancing takes center stage, while the musicians are in the background.
This is a "violation" (I'm using hyperbole here) of all the basic concepts of metal.

need to admit that I also cannot stand any of the metal acts that use theatrics and fireworks.
Only exception for me is Rob Zombie, who uses irony in his over-the-top costumes and delivery

agree about the amusement.
but it's terrifying to see this kind of band filling a stadium!
choreographed dancing takes center stage, while the musicians are in the background.
This is a "violation" (I'm using hyperbole here) of all the basic concepts of metal.

need to admit that I also cannot stand any of the metal acts that use theatrics and fireworks.
Only exception for me is Rob Zombie, who uses irony in his over-the-top costumes and delivery

Totally respect that. Myself, I enjoy a show, whether it be a pop dancey dance, a ballad with lasers, punks smashing guitars, Ozzy biting the head off a bat (yeah I know that didn’t really happen), or...wait, is this a crucifixion?

Anyway, I’ve been to a few shows where all the musicians do is play their songs, one right after the other. I thought it was pretty dull. But to each their own! I totally get that it’s possible to be entertaining on just stage presence and musicianship, and if you feel theatrics are a cheat/crutch or a bit too Spinal Tap, I certainly see that point of view.

Back