Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 1 - July 2019 Lou Reed - The Blue Mask

“Women” is definitely a bit of a cringey song.
The first time I streamed it, I felt a little weird and embarrassed for Lou.
Musically, I can dig it’s just...It’s just that chorus.
And some of those lines.

I’m sorry.
Still dig the album a lot though.

If I read it as Lou being completely sarcastic it actually makes it better - maybe from the perspective of a chauvinist saying this stuff to curry favor for a prospective partner. IF I take it at face value... yeah just not for me lol. You just never know with him.

If I read it as Lou being completely sarcastic it actually makes it better - maybe from the perspective of a chauvinist saying this stuff to curry favor for a prospective partner. IF I take it at face value... yeah just not for me lol. You just never know with him.
Never thought of it like that...hmmm, might have to do another spin tonight and listen to it with that mindset.

Final impression: this is a sum is greater than the parts listen. I come away wanting to listen again despite the trash first two songs. Solid B overall, carried on how diverse the whole thing was along with the REALLY strong tracks (to me) in The Gun, Waves of Fear and the title track.

Thank you @Murfocakes for the pick and taking me out of my comfort zone. It was a journey and I’ll be trying again.
This is me. I don't enjoy all of the tracks on the same level, and while I wouldn't call any of the songs "trash", his weird way of singing and cheesy/sarcastic lines throw me off at moments. Yet, after the needle rises, my impression is always the same: This is a pretty solid album. Lou Reed and this kind of music is def outside of my comfort zone, but The Blue Mask is an exciting listen I'm always looking forward to repeat.

I don't think I've heard any track off this album before. I'm not the biggest solo Lou Reed fan - I have a few of his albums, but didn't even have Transformer until the very recent past.

Lou Reed ‎– The Blue Mask
RCA ‎– AFL1-4221/88985349081, 1982/2017

Cut by Daniel Krieger at SST
Pressed at MPO

zRv6fP.jpg

o3DpWO.jpg

Last edited:
I listened for the first time today. Never heard any of these tracks before - it's a real solid listen, and I can see how it would be a grower. I think Lou is a bit tongue in cheek on a few of the songs. The band is pretty tight as well. All around really nice pick - don't know if I would have ever come across this otherwise. Look forward to seeing what it does on repeated spins.

Very much @Skalap , Ecstasy is very nicely pressed and rocks really well. And you can’t go wrong with Berlin. Do you have much from The Velvets?

Picked Ecstasy up on RSD. The pressing is great and it does rock!

I'll grab Ecstasy then. Berlín seems easy to find so I'll wait for an Amazon deal. I have all the VUs;)

Definitely pick it up if you enjoy Blue Mask.

Back