Needles & Grooves AoTM /// Vol. 1 - July 2019 Lou Reed - The Blue Mask

Really nice hearing all of your responses. I really enjoyed this whole experience and am glad most of you have had a positive one with this album. And those that hadn’t it’s really cool that you tried it out. I’m pleased that The Blue Mask was off so many people’s radar as it deserves more credit in my opinion.
I’ve always been a VU/Lou Reed fan. Have a bunch but never this one on vinyl until now for some reason. Sort of forgot about it during the CD era. Excellent pick. Wife and I spinning it again right now and loving it. Thanks!

True but prior conceptions can be turned on their head. That’s why Holy Diver wasn’t AOTM
And this is also why, if we ever get around to me, I won’t be picking an album by The Beatles or Radiohead haha!
tbh i kinda been nervous to do something that is too obviously me because i dont want to do something too easy

tbh i kinda been nervous to do something that is too obviously me because i dont want to do something too easy

It has to be you also. I’m thinking along the lines of something I really like that hasn’t had the publicity it deserves and I think should be shared with you lot rather than an outright all time top 10 album. Let’s face it there is a bit of a convergence when we get into a lot of people’s very favourite albums and we do also want to give most of the people something that they don’t have.

Last edited:
It has to be you also. I’m thinking along the lines of something I really like that hasn’t had the publicity it deserves and I think should be shared with you lot rather than an outright all time too 10 album. Let’s face it there is a bit of a convergence when we get into a lot of people’s very favourite albums and we do also want to give most of the people something that they don’t have.
i already got 2 that are basically like that but im nervous one is semi-obvious and that one is too... not for everyone

LP78mrO.jpg

Going through my first full listen now, have only heard the first three or four tracks. Sounds great! 👍

...man this new club kicks ass.
Thanks all! ✌️❤️

Wow. What a listen.

First two tracks are not my jam whatsoever.

My House - I can’t discern whether he’s being completely sarcastic or the lyrics are just complete dreck. D+

Women - same as above but worse. Holy shit that was awful. One of the worst songs I’ve ever heard, especially considering what a rumored prick Lou could be and alleged “getting rough with” women in his past. F-

Underneath the Bottle. Ok, now we’re getting somewhere. B-

The Gun. This is what I’m talking about. Provocative, poetic, downright terrifying and aggressive. Punk rock shit here. A

The Blue Mask. Some excellent guitar work and explicit lyrics about S&M? Punk fucking rock. A+

Average song, er I mean guy. C

The Heroine - I appreciate the poetic lyrics and the callback to “Heroin”. B

Waves of Fear - Shit hot guitar licks, and wonderful lyrics about drug withdrawal. A++

The Day John Kennedy Died - Great guest vocals and cool guitar harmonics and cymbal work. Lyrics are good and that “shot him in the face” hits hard. B+

Heavenly Arms - Geez I really hate when Lou tries to do more with his voice. I really appreciate him at his most monotone or when he goes for the growly/barky like in the title track. Syyyyyyl viiiii nnnnnnnaaaaaahhhh. C.

Final impression: this is a sum is greater than the parts listen. I come away wanting to listen again despite the trash first two songs. Solid B overall, carried on how diverse the whole thing was along with the REALLY strong tracks (to me) in The Gun, Waves of Fear and the title track.

Thank you @Murfocakes for the pick and taking me out of my comfort zone. It was a journey and I’ll be trying again.

Wow. What a listen.

First two tracks are not my jam whatsoever.

My House - I can’t discern whether he’s being completely sarcastic or the lyrics are just complete dreck. D+

Women - same as above but worse. Holy shit that was awful. One of the worst songs I’ve ever heard, especially considering what a rumored prick Lou could be and alleged “getting rough with” women in his past. F-

Underneath the Bottle. Ok, now we’re getting somewhere. B-

The Gun. This is what I’m talking about. Provocative, poetic, downright terrifying and aggressive. Punk rock shit here. A

The Blue Mask. Some excellent guitar work and explicit lyrics about S&M? Punk fucking rock. A+

Average song, er I mean guy. C

The Heroine - I appreciate the poetic lyrics and the callback to “Heroin”. B

Waves of Fear - Shit hot guitar licks, and wonderful lyrics about drug withdrawal. A++

The Day John Kennedy Died - Great guest vocals and cool guitar harmonics and cymbal work. Lyrics are good and that “shot him in the face” hits hard. B+

Heavenly Arms - Geez I really hate when Lou tries to do more with his voice. I really appreciate him at his most monotone or when he goes for the growly/barky like in the title track. Syyyyyyl viiiii nnnnnnnaaaaaahhhh. C.

Final impression: this is a sum is greater than the parts listen. I come away wanting to listen again despite the trash first two songs. Solid B overall, carried on how diverse the whole thing was along with the REALLY strong tracks (to me) in The Gun, Waves of Fear and the title track.

Thank you @Murfocakes for the pick and taking me out of my comfort zone. It was a journey and I’ll be trying again.
“Women” is definitely a bit of a cringey song.
The first time I streamed it, I felt a little weird and embarrassed for Lou.
Musically, I can dig it’s just...It’s just that chorus.
And some of those lines.

I’m sorry.
Still dig the album a lot though.

Back