N&G Secret Santa 2023

Would you be interested in participating in Secret Santa this year?

• Yes, absolutely

Votes: 18 41.9%
  • Hell yeah, brother

Votes: 14 32.6%
  • Is the Pope Catholic?

Votes: 7 16.3%
  • No, I am the Grinch

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could possibly make the argument that the xx is one of the most influential indie pop albums of the last 2 decades... Like it clearly was an influence on lorde or Lana or the weeknd's aesthetics
It's a fantastic album, but We're New Here will always be Jamie's crown jewel to me.

So this random package shows up from.............Ireland?

View attachment 190888

View attachment 190887

@panino - I'm so humbled by your kindness and generosity. Folks like you make this place the absolute best.

And what a fantastic album.

Thank you, my friend. I hope you and yours enoy the happiest of holidays.
giphy.gif

you're the man here that spread the joy of musical discoveries through random giveaways!
I'm just returning the favor... ;)

This amazing package showed up unexpectedly yesterday, another great group of Santa gifts from @ranbalam who crushed it just like in 2021! This came with a great letter explaining the picks, and his wife made a head cover for our golf clubs with my Daughters school colors! What a gift!

Thanks again to @ranbalam for this! Great choices, Rateliff is great after just seeing him a couple weeks ago. And I know we both love The Reigning Sound and I didn't have that one. Looking forward to getting these on the table.

IMG_0947.jpeg

This amazing package showed up unexpectedly yesterday, another great group of Santa gifts from @ranbalam who crushed it just like in 2021! This came with a great letter explaining the picks, and his wife made a head cover for our golf clubs with my Daughters school colors! What a gift!

Thanks again to @ranbalam for this! Great choices, Rateliff is great after just seeing him a couple weeks ago. And I know we both love The Reigning Sound and I didn't have that one. Looking forward to getting these on the table.

View attachment 190898
Glad it got there safe and sound, happy holidays!

THIS IS WHY THIS IS MY FAVORITE CORNER OF THE INTERNET.

Some of you may have noticed I didn't sign up for Secret Santa this year - I was on vacation the first half of December. Between that and an unexpected new furnace and AC back in November, I've been broke as hell.

Nonetheless I received a surprise from an anonymous Santa today - 2 records, a slipmat that appears to be signed, a various stickers and trinkets.

I cannot say this strongly enough: THANK YOU. This was so very generous. And feel free to reveal yourself so I can thank you properly. Happy holidays!❤️to you and everybody here.

20231220_175755.jpg

Santa arrived!

20231221_172012.jpg

Pictured is:

Kimiko Kasai (笠井紀美子) w/Herbie Hancock - Butterfly
Deep Earth - Nachtmusik
Little Simz - NO THANK YOU
Handmade OBI for Nachtmusik with message from @AndySlash, and Nachtmusik insert
flying eyeball postcard
Dark Side of the Moon postcard
Charlie Sheen b/w photograph
various stickers (Dilly Dally Alley, Moon Glyph, Doomtree, The Lowest Pair, (2x) Needles & Grooves logo)

Thank you for the package, @AndySlash! You hit the mark and then some, especially with the effort that went into packaging.

Love the Kimiko Kasai reissue, a boost to my humble city pop/fusion library. I passed by a few of these in Japan back in April when I shouldn't have.
I have no clue what this Deep Earth record is, but it seems that only a handful possess a copy of this screen cover edition! The description has me sold; an electro-psych band from Chicago. I'll be going into this blind. They also have a Moon Glyph release that wasn't released for the LP format titled House of Mighty.
Glad to now have the most recent Little Simz LP, as I have struggled to find it on sale. Were I to redo my top50 of 2022, it would rank close to the top10.

I was pleased to read about how you came across the Moon Glyph label based here in Portland. Seeing the Minneapolis origins from your OBI note answered my initial question immediately. Very cool how you have a tape deck from MG founder Steve Rosborough's collection that he offered up on Twitter over a decade ago!! I'm also delighted to see that you are a completionist of this label by way of this interaction. Thank you very much for supporting Portland music. For those who don't know, Steve Rosborough also goes by the alias Omni Gardens, and he released a pair of LPs on his label in the last few years and a pair of other releases on cassette exclusively.

Thank you again! Everything was packed down tight and arrived safely. Hoping to give these a records a whirl soon!

98D9EF76-6DF7-4D11-A182-71795CC2B47A.jpeg

Came home from an incredibly stressful shift to find an unexpected package waiting for me!!! Thank you so much to Santa (@yukbon im assuming) for these wonderful records! Mr Morale means I’m all caught up again on owning Kendrick’s major label album discography and AM is a nostalgic favorite that has been missing from my collection for way too long!

View attachment 191064

Came home from an incredibly stressful shift to find an unexpected package waiting for me!!! Thank you so much to Santa (@yukbon im assuming) for these wonderful records! Mr Morale means I’m all caught up again on owning Kendrick’s major label album discography and AM is a nostalgic favorite that has been missing from my collection for way too long!

Let us go all the way back to

your doc is locked, requiring sign-in/requests
Thanks for the heads up, should be fixed now

Kendrick showed up with a nice little bend riiiiiight in the middle, so I had to return and reorder and it took a hot minute, sorry for the delay but I'm glad to hear it got there at an opportune moment, feliz navidad!

Santa arrived!

View attachment 191045

Pictured is:

Kimiko Kasai (笠井紀美子) w/Herbie Hancock - Butterfly
Deep Earth - Nachtmusik
Little Simz - NO THANK YOU
Handmade OBI for Nachtmusik with message from @AndySlash, and Nachtmusik insert
flying eyeball postcard
Dark Side of the Moon postcard
Charlie Sheen b/w photograph
various stickers (Dilly Dally Alley, Moon Glyph, Doomtree, The Lowest Pair, (2x) Needles & Grooves logo)

Thank you for the package, @AndySlash! You hit the mark and then some, especially with the effort that went into packaging.

Love the Kimiko Kasai reissue, a boost to my humble city pop/fusion library. I passed by a few of these in Japan back in April when I shouldn't have.
I have no clue what this Deep Earth record is, but it seems that only a handful possess a copy of this screen cover edition! The description has me sold; an electro-psych band from Chicago. I'll be going into this blind. They also have a Moon Glyph release that wasn't released for the LP format titled House of Mighty.
Glad to now have the most recent Little Simz LP, as I have struggled to find it on sale. Were I to redo my top50 of 2022, it would rank close to the top10.

I was pleased to read about how you came across the Moon Glyph label based here in Portland. Seeing the Minneapolis origins from your OBI note answered my initial question immediately. Very cool how you have a tape deck from MG founder Steve Rosborough's collection that he offered up on Twitter over a decade ago!! I'm also delighted to see that you are a completionist of this label by way of this interaction. Thank you very much for supporting Portland music. For those who don't know, Steve Rosborough also goes by the alias Omni Gardens, and he released a pair of LPs on his label in the last few years and a pair of other releases on cassette exclusively.

Thank you again! Everything was packed down tight and arrived safely. Hoping to give these a records a whirl soon!
Wow, what a fantastic package. That Kimiko Kasai/Herbie Hancock is an underrated gem, and you can never go wrong with Little Simz!

santa @Hemotep’s sleigh stopped by awhile ago but i waited until tonight to see what was left under the tree

C5C6E7AA-2064-4AFD-8804-DEB4B5E4EBFF.jpeg

liquid sound company - psychoactive songs for the psoul

wight - spank the world

two bands/records i’ve never heard of before, but definitely seem in my wheelhouse. lac is described as texas psych rock and wight as kozmic prog fusion so, yeah, these will fit right in.

45D2D3EE-15E4-4C85-917E-2D04F0E2EFC8.jpeg

blake mills - look

elton john - sleeping with the past

sent to me as bonus records due to being sent multiple copies, i’m actually excited about the elton john record as i don’t have it, and i‘ve no clue who/what blake mills is so i’m looking forward to the blind listen.

thank you, @Hemotep, for the personal picks, i love hearing what others are into.

happy xasm everyone!

Back