N&G Secret Santa - 2020

Dearest Santee....there are two packages on the way, fear not. One is dispatched and arriving Dec 21 - Jan 5th, it was ordered on Dec 4th. I think they must be walking it there.

The other package was sent international about 10 days ago so there is no tracking, but be on the lookout for a package sometime in 2021.

Thank you to my Secret Santa, I definitely wanted the Shabaka and the Joe Armon-Jones is completely new to me. Look forward to exploring blind.
View attachment 80944
Definitely getting some Herbie Hancock meets dub with a modern flair from the Armon-Jones, which is like right up my alley. Nice pick for a jazzy Christmas!

Definitely getting some Herbie Hancock meets dub with a modern flair from the Armon-Jones, which is like right up my alley. Nice pick for a jazzy Christmas!
He's a staple in the current British jazz scene. He appears on keys on the majority of London jazz releases and when London jazz musicians are interviewed he often gets a mention.

I saw him live last summer (remember live gigs???) paired up with Maxwell Owin and they played a kind of jazz/broken beat/house hybrid. It was really great stuff!

I see that on top of shipments not going to the UK due to Covid, some suppliers have also removed Northern Ireland specifically due to the added clusterfuck of Brexit, so if Secret Santa’s aren’t on their way it could be some time before anything comes.
Yeah one of my locals, Banquet Records, have had to stop sending any packages to Ireland and Europe until they know exactly whats happening wiht Brexit (so might be a while).

Yeah one of my locals, Banquet Records, have had to stop sending any packages to Ireland and Europe until they know exactly whats happening wiht Brexit (so might be a while).

It will be a real problem to purchase records (and other stuff) from the UK. I want to buy more Jazz in Britain releases but I haven't received Into the Archives that shipped in the beginning of the month nor Spontaneous Event (shipped last week so seems normal at this point). Mondial Relay (the company I use to ship stuff in Europe) sent an email saying that they are stopping any shipments to UK for now.

It will be a real problem to purchase records (and other stuff) from the UK. I want to buy more Jazz in Britain releases but I haven't received Into the Archives that shipped in the beginning of the month nor Spontaneous Event (shipped last week so seems normal at this point). Mondial Relay (the company I use to ship stuff in Europe) sent an email saying that they are stopping any shipments to UK for now.
If you have trouble getting any Jazz In Britain stuff in the future just let me know and I can buy 2 and ship one myself. Not sure how the tax etc is going to work yet (I guess no one does) but once it's been finalised you can have a better idea of the total.

If you have trouble getting any Jazz In Britain stuff in the future just let me know and I can buy 2 and ship one myself. Not sure how the tax etc is going to work yet (I guess no one does) but once it's been finalised you can have a better idea of the total.

Thanks buddy! At this point nobody knows what will happen, not even BoJo. We can only wait and see. And let's be clear, purchasing records is not the real problem. The real problem is more how you can import/export drugs and other essential stuff people really need.

throughout quarantine I have been doing a series of cocktails based on albums and/or album art...so when my Santa delivered the other day, I started scheming...but then decided to heed Jason Molina's advice and "Just Be Simple" and instead decided to pour the peatiest, smokiest (bc Smog...get it?!?!) and put my feet up with the spins.

thank you so much to my Santa...and I have no idea who to thank. but you're great, for sure.

IMG_1153.jpg

throughout quarantine I have been doing a series of cocktails based on albums and/or album art...so when my Santa delivered the other day, I started scheming...but then decided to heed Jason Molina's advice and "Just Be Simple" and instead decided to pour the peatiest, smokiest (bc Smog...get it?!?!) and put my feet up with the spins.

thank you so much to my Santa...and I have no idea who to thank. but you're great, for sure.

View attachment 81074
You're welcome, friend! Enjoy!

View attachment 81074
Coupla classics right there!

View attachment 81074
Two of my all-time favorite records.

Well, Santa has certainly smashed it this year, thanks so much!!

Absolutely fantastic albums which I can't wait to dig into them! Funnily enough, Santa also got me a Tom Waits album last year and I'm LOVING this new tradition. This one is full of live recordings (with each one being from a different venue/date) and as a fan of live recordings anyway, I think Waits really comes to his own here. I have always thought he is at his best when live (one of my favourite albums by him is Nighthawks At The Diner) and one of my regrets is that I likely won't see him live now that he's kind of retired. At least I have albums like this though!

Plus I also got this FANTASTIC John Lee Hooker 2lp set. My only other JLH record is the VMP Classics, which I only recently got and have been spinning constantly. So this definitely came at the perfect time and I cant wait to hear more of his music!

Also worth noting that they came from Sister Ray, a shop which I used to frequent before Covid and one which I have tried to buy from online when I can (most of my RSD items came from them), so thanks for that as well Santa, I am sure they will be glad of the order.

Thanks again Santa, absolutely fantastic package!! ❤️

IMG_6380.JPG

Back