Music News / Reviews

Are these celebrities who were Mormons, or Mormon celebrities who are no longer celebrities? ;)

Some have tangential connections ("Did you hear Tom Hanks had a Mormon step-parent as a kid?!"), but most are actors and musicians that were raised Mormon, noped out and then got famous. Famous and still Mormon is a much more rare combo (Brandon Flowers of the Killers, Gladys Knight, the Osmonds). That's not even counting all the urban legends about people who are not and never were Mormon but that people started saying had joined the church at some point.

Keith LeBlanc, a drummer on several early hip-hop releases and a key producer on albums by Nine Inch Nails and more, has passed away at the age of 70.

LeBlanc helped pioneer the early hip-hop sound as a drummer in the Sugarhill House Band alongside bassist Doug Wimbish (Living Colour) and guitarist Skip “Little Axe” McDonald. The three musicians went on to form the industrial hip-hop group Tackhead, who released four albums from 1987 to 2014.

As a producer and mixer, LeBlanc worked with a number of prominent artists, including Nine Inch Nails, Living Colour, Peter Gabriel, The Cure, and Ministry.

He was a major contributor to NIN’s debut album, Pretty Hate Machine, co-producing standout tracks “Head Like a Hole” and “Down in It,” and engineering or mixing several other songs on the LP.

LeBlanc also worked as a drummer or programmer with James Brown, R.E.M., The Rolling Stones, The Stone Roses, Annie Lennox, Tina Turner, Bryan Ferry, Depeche Mode, and Sinead O’Connor, among others.

OBIT:

Never heard of Benson Boone (though he’s from the Seattle area) but he performed on the Today Show this morning and based on their description he is pretty popular in the charts and on TikTok (apparently Imagine Dragons are big fans). The song doesn’t do much for me but…

IMG_3404.jpeg
IMG_3405.jpeg
…If Gen Z is leaning into the “fancy pirate” look a’la Adam Ant, I am here for it. The goofier the better.

Never heard of Benson Boone (though he’s from the Seattle area) but he performed on the Today Show this morning and based on their description he is pretty popular in the charts and on TikTok (apparently Imagine Dragons are big fans). The song doesn’t do much for me but…

View attachment 199941
View attachment 199942
…If Gen Z is leaning into the “fancy pirate” look a’la Adam Ant, I am here for it. The goofier the better.
Good to see Elijah Wood is still working

View attachment 199941
View attachment 199942

Guy looks like at least three of my co-workers from the last two kitchens I worked in.

I know it is a bit rich coming from a guy who has had some sort of facial hair for the past 30 years. But what is it with Gen Z and the rat boy moustaches?
I love their embrace of mullets and dirty mustaches and dangly earrings and crop tops. Their embrace of those skeeve touchstones are gonna make for some great blunder year photos in 20 years.

Back