Music News / Reviews

E1FCFE17-E6FC-4C04-86CC-A7F39B794CA2.png
I posted this in the Prine thread but wanted to post here as well. Cracking open a special bottle for this

Is this new 1975 album that bad? I’ve seen misty negative reviews, but pitchfork went the other way and gave it an 8. I’m not a huge fan, but I kinda liked their last one and am honestly often interested when bands go a little crazy and make long, divisive albums. This sounds just like that.

Is this new 1975 album that bad? I’ve seen misty negative reviews, but pitchfork went the other way and gave it an 8. I’m not a huge fan, but I kinda liked their last one and am honestly often interested when bands go a little crazy and make long, divisive albums. This sounds just like that.
I believe that may just be a 1975 thing. I've never really listened, but people appear to either really love, or love to hate.

I believe that may just be a 1975 thing. I've never really listened, but people appear to either really love, or love to hate.

FWIW, I really love it. Definitely worth checking out and forming your own opinions around, though.

FWIW, I really love it. Definitely worth checking out and forming your own opinions around, though.
Yeah I just had the vinyl on pre-order and was going to wait to hear it, but I think I'll stream it first to see if I really like it enough. Sometimes I just take chances on albums on vinyl.

@Teeeee since I’m recommending Glaspy to you, I thought you would appreciate this:

Its’s Glaspy, Rachael Price & Bridget Kearney (both of LSD fame) and Brittany Haas who is in that whole circle with Chris Thile.
Oh interesting! I loved Bridget Kearney's solo album. And LSD is great. I will check this out.

Japandroids are releasing a live album in June, "Live at Massey Fucking Hall". Not sure this is a video of the entire set that will make up the album version, but it is a nice teaser for sure. It does have some interview bits mixed in, which is a bit of a drag. Still, a nice reminder of what live music felt like in the before times.

R2J! (dropped)

Mike:
"The way I see it, you're probably freest from the ages one to four
Around the age of five you're shipped away for your body to be stored
They promise education, but really they give you tests and scores
And they predictin' prison population by who scoring the lowest
And usually the lowest scores the poorest and they look like me
And every day on evening news they feed you fear for free
And you so numb you watch the cops choke out a man like me
And 'til my voice goes from a shriek to whisper, "I can't breathe"
And you sit there in the house on couch and watch it on TV
The most you give's a Twitter rant and call it a tragedy
But truly the travesty, you've been robbed of your empathy
Replaced it with apathy, I wish I could magically
Fast forward the future so then you can face it
And see how fucked up it'll be"

El-P:
"I used to wanna get the chance to show the world I'm smart (Ha)
Isn't that dumb? I should've focused mostly on the heart
'Cause I seen smarter people trample life like it's an art
So bein' smart ain't what it used to be, that's fuckin' dark
You ever notice that the worst of us have all the chips?
It really kinda takes the sheen off people getting rich
Like maybe rich is not the holy ever lovin' king of nothin' fuckers
Know we know you’re bluffin"

R2J! (dropped)

Mike:
"The way I see it, you're probably freest from the ages one to four
Around the age of five you're shipped away for your body to be stored
They promise education, but really they give you tests and scores
And they predictin' prison population by who scoring the lowest
And usually the lowest scores the poorest and they look like me
And every day on evening news they feed you fear for free
And you so numb you watch the cops choke out a man like me
And 'til my voice goes from a shriek to whisper, "I can't breathe"
And you sit there in the house on couch and watch it on TV
The most you give's a Twitter rant and call it a tragedy
But truly the travesty, you've been robbed of your empathy
Replaced it with apathy, I wish I could magically
Fast forward the future so then you can face it
And see how fucked up it'll be"

El-P:
"I used to wanna get the chance to show the world I'm smart (Ha)
Isn't that dumb? I should've focused mostly on the heart
'Cause I seen smarter people trample life like it's an art
So bein' smart ain't what it used to be, that's fuckin' dark
You ever notice that the worst of us have all the chips?
It really kinda takes the sheen off people getting rich
Like maybe rich is not the holy ever lovin' king of nothin' fuckers
Know we know you’re bluffin"

2, 4, 1, 3

(That’s my position after two listens, I could even see myself flipping the top two spots eventually.)

I was listening to RTJ3 yesterday after listening to 4 a few times. I still think it's not their best, but I am kinda amazed how great it is when i felt like it didn't quite live up to my original expectations when it dropped. 2100 and Thieves are still incredible relevant today as they were back then.

RTJ4 is so goddamn good though. On the level of 2 for me, which is the pinnacle of their discography.

I was listening to RTJ3 yesterday after listening to 4 a few times. I still think it's not their best, but I am kinda amazed how great it is when i felt like it didn't quite live up to my original expectations when it dropped. 2100 and Thieves are still incredible relevant today as they were back then.

RTJ4 is so goddamn good though. On the level of 2 for me, which is the pinnacle of their discography.
RTJ4 is definitely on par with Run The Jewels 2 and may even be their best effort yet. It is at least their most cohesive and comprehensive album to date.

One of my buddies in my neighborhood record club is developing a site, KRADO, for music discovery that others might enjoy checking out. When you click on an release/artist a window pops up with links to streaming services and on the tabs are reviews, tags, links (where Bandcamp links can be found), and similar releases. The tags are clickable on the tags tab and a good way to look through genres, you can also search tags with the three bars in the top left corner.

KRADO

Krado.png

Last edited:
Any Tripping Daisy fans out there? Looks like there is a pre-order for the first ever vinyl pressing of their terrific album "Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb". Album is due in late November. Limited to 1,000, and available in a couple of color variants. Really great album if you've never listened to it. Falls closer to The Polyphonic Spree sonically than the early Tripping Daisy albums, but it's more straightforward/less indulgent than the Spree material.

Tripping Daisy - Jesus Hits Like The Atom Bomb (First Time On Vinyl) {PRE ORDER}

Last edited:
Back