Music documentaries

A great Documentary to watch is “This is the Life” About Goodlife Open mic in Los Angeles. I used to go there when a lot of stuff in the Documentary actually happened. I think it’s on Netflix right now so check it out.

Wait.. really? What years were you at Good Life???

I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch the Sharon Jones one. I haven't been in the mood to cry for 2 hours straight.

That one is TOUGH. It's partly because she reminds me of my mom; her strong will and beautiful spirit was so similar to how my mom carried herself through her battle with cancer...with the same unfortunate end.
#fuckcancer

Sorry to get all bummery folks.

That one is TOUGH. It's partly because she reminds me of my mom; her strong will and beautiful spirit was so similar to how my mom carried herself through her battle with cancer...with the same unfortunate end.
#fuckcancer

Sorry to get all bummery folks.
Well that confirms that for me - not watching this anytime soon.

#fuckcancer#fuckitallthewayoff

Soundbreaking remains one of the best music doco series i've ever seen

And I have you to thank for that one - can't believe I overlooked it. It's BRILLIANT.

I struggled with this one. As I watched I almost felt as if I was part of the problem...like I added to the wreckage by being a voyeur. So so sad. And her dad? He just doesn't seem like a good dude. She was a treasure.

Very well put - her Dad was scum, pure and simple. I kinda struggle wanting to buy her records as I know he's taking full advantage of her. And yes, the vouyeristic nature of the doco is unsettling for sure, captivating, but it's so close you just want to reach out and try to save her yourself. 💔

The other f word . Based on the book by Pennywise singer Jim Lindberg features punk rock musicians and their happiness and struggle with fatherhood.and you can see Brian Baker sing "Wheels on the bus" with his kids. There are many funny and sad moments in there, but especially the day to day routine of Jim lindberg shows how hard the changes in the music industry hit families, when you can onyl make enough money in a semi-good selling band by constant touring.

Sorry, didn't mean for all that to spill out. I don't typically post around here to bare my baggage.
No apologies necessary! Music elicits emotion, as it should.

Just watched Here To Be Heard: The Story of the Slits a few nights ago on Hulu.

Watch it if you can!

Oh thank you! This has been in my Hulu queue for awhile now. This was the validation I needed to watch it.

"Amy" really shook me up for about a week after I watched it. I certainly don't consider myself the biggest Amy Winehouse fan or anything, but that one just really got to me.

"Buena Vista Social Club" is a really fantastic music doc. That one really shows the lifelong joy that music can offer folks.

There are a couple of good Joe Strummer documentaries out there. "The Future Is Unwritten" is the most recent I think, and is a very good career spanning doc with an impressive list of guest interviews. The one I really like though is "Let's Rock Again", which covers Joe touring in support of his second album with The Mescaleros. It's crazy to see Joe Effing Strummer passing out handbills for his own concert to disinterested folks who clearly have no idea who he is.

"Amy" really shook me up for about a week after I watched it. I certainly don't consider myself the biggest Amy Winehouse fan or anything, but that one just really got to me.

"Buena Vista Social Club" is a really fantastic music doc. That one really shows the lifelong joy that music can offer folks.

There are a couple of good Joe Strummer documentaries out there. "The Future Is Unwritten" is the most recent I think, and is a very good career spanning doc with an impressive list of guest interviews. The one I really like though is "Let's Rock Again", which covers Joe touring in support of his second album with The Mescaleros. It's crazy to see Joe Effing Strummer passing out handbills for his own concert to disinterested folks who clearly have no idea who he is.

I was always an Amy fan that wavered a little over the years. I think the doc maybe me a staunch fan for life. Like, I will get in arguments with people that try to dismiss her as untalented or a brat.

I was always an Amy fan that wavered a little over the years. I think the doc maybe me a staunch fan for life. Like, I will get in arguments with people that try to dismiss her as untalented or a brat.

Never seent the movie but not really a fan of hers either. She always struck me as a phenomenal impersonator.. not so much an actual singer.

You don't talk like an extra from Snatch and sing like that unless it's a put-on and I think I'd rather listen to someone who doesn't have to pretend to sing in another voice when I listen to soul music.

Never seent the movie but not really a fan of hers either. She always struck me as a phenomenal impersonator.. not so much an actual singer.

You don't talk like an extra from Snatch and sing like that unless it's a put-on and I think I'd rather listen to someone who doesn't have to pretend to sing in another voice when I listen to soul music.

I feel like the movie goes a long way in showing that she was the real deal...particularly early on with the jazzier vocal work that she did.

I feel as though you are baiting me into internet fighting with you. I won't. You seem to have a very strong and disrespectful opinion of her that my words are not going to change. I'll continue to love her, you continue to acidically hate her.

Now, is there anyone you love as much as you hate Amy? That's what I would rather talk about.

I feel as though you are baiting me into internet fighting with you. I won't. You seem to have a very strong and disrespectful opinion of her that my words are not going to change. I'll continue to love her, you continue to acidically hate her.

Now, is there anyone you love as much as you hate Amy? That's what I would rather talk about.

I'm curious about how stating some obvious things come across as disrespectful? Does she talk like an extra from Snatch? Yes... is her 'singing voice' her real voice? Obviously not. That's like me saying your comment is disrespectful to actual soul singers cause you give any credit to her. It's absurd.

As far as who I like? If we're talking contemporary soul singers, Erykah Badu, Sharon Jones.. maybe Jill Scott? I think it was a sad state of affairs when people were fighting each other for tickets to Winehouse at SXSW when the far superior Jones couldn't even sell out her venue.. but that speaks to a lot of other things as well.

I'm curious about how stating some obvious things come across as disrespectful? Does she talk like an extra from Snatch? Yes... is her 'singing voice' her real voice? Obviously not. That's like me saying your comment is disrespectful to actual soul singers cause you give any credit to her. It's absurd.

As far as who I like? If we're talking contemporary soul singers, Erykah Badu, Sharon Jones.. maybe Jill Scott? I think it was a sad state of affairs when people were fighting each other for tickets to Winehouse at SXSW when the far superior Jones couldn't even sell out her venue.. but that speaks to a lot of other things as well.

Sigh, you do you. I don't really want to argue about negatives. So please compliment one without diminishing another.

Sigh, you do you. I don't really want to argue about negatives. So please compliment one without diminishing another.

Sigh .. nobody asked you to argue or even chime in on my comments. I was merely stating how she came across to me.. you don't like it, feel free to ignore it, but I'm not shutting up because you don't agree with me.

Back