Music documentaries

AngryVal

...because you can't listen to records ALL the time... (caveat: You can listen to records all the time)

Movies, TV series, Netflix, Short films, random YouTube - share them all!

Couple of my faves to kick things off - yeah they are obvious, but would love to hear of a few more...

Scratch: Amazing insight into crate digging, scratching, mixing and more by the world's best DJ's. D-O-P-E.
Montage of Heck: I know there's some conjecture around this but I just loved how it was put together.
Amy: Beautiful and so so hearbreaking. Freely admit I was in tears at the end of this.
Hype: Grunge from the inside. Perfect for my cynical Gen-X tendencies
The Defiant Ones: I just loved hearing about Jimmy Iovine making all those amazing albums, alongside Dre's history of Hip Hop.

I love the Amy Winehouse, Sharon Jones, Quincy Jones and Defiant Ones documentaries. The Nina Simone documentary just made me really sad for her.

I have the Aretha Franklin, Betty Davis and James Booker documentaries in my want to watch list.

The Wrecking Crew - about probably the most prolific and talented group of studio musicians to ever exist as a 'cohesive unit' .. this doc was in production hell for years because they couldn't get clearance for all the songs these guys played on.

The Shadows Of Motown - About the Funk Brothers, the group of studio musicians, who played on the majority of Motown recordings.

Radio That Changed Lives - About the infamous Stretch & Bobbito radio show in NYC.. one of the most influential radio stations in the rap world and also the launching pad for some of your favorite rappers' favorite rappers.

This Is The Liffe - About the hugely influential Project Blowed / Good Life cafe in Cali.. launching pad for a number of rappers and crews from Freeestyle Fellowship to Jurassic 5.

some fave doco movies from over the years to add to those already listed above:

20 feet from stardom - the almost life of the backing singer

the last waltz - shakey's coke booger on full show!

some kind of monster - metal money making machine goes to therapy

gimme shelter - the end of the 1960s and the hippy dream

meeting people is easy - touring sucks, and no, we won't play "creep" for you

i am trying to break your heart - what happens when you make a masterpiece and the label doesn't dig it

no direction home - the rumour i've heard is that bob actually made this and they just added scorsese's name to give it greater gravitas

gimme danger - the lover letter to the stooges than only jim jarmusch could make

stop making sense - art-pop brilliance on full display

the entire "classic albums" series, but especially the fleetwood mac ep on rumours

Dig! is one of my favorite movies of all time in any genre.

Yes! This is such a great one! So much drama.

I struggled with this one. As I watched I almost felt as if I was part of the problem...like I added to the wreckage by being a voyeur. So so sad. And her dad? He just doesn't seem like a good dude. She was a treasure.

I sobbed through the last 20 minutes or so. Such a gosh darn loss for no good reason.

I am not a fan of the Eagles, but I did watch the 4 hour long documentary. They did NOT like each other. Which made for an entertaining doc.

Does Paris Is Burning count as a music documentary? Probably not. But music was so important to their balls. That doc is my absolute favorite. I watch it at least 4x a year.

I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch the Sharon Jones one. I haven't been in the mood to cry for 2 hours straight.

A great Documentary to watch is “This is the Life” About Goodlife Open mic in Los Angeles. I used to go there when a lot of stuff in the Documentary actually happened. I think it’s on Netflix right now so check it out.

Back