Movies

Does anyone want a promo code to see Civil War for free? A24 gave me a free ticket, but I already have a ticket to see it in IMAX next week. The caveat, I guess, is it’s only for Regal theaters and it’s only next weekend. If you want it, let me know here and I can DM it to you.
If it's still available, yes please?

IMG_7662.jpeg

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
The Man With The Golden Gun
Diamonds Are Forever

Rank (Song):
Shirley Bassey - "Diamonds Are Forever"
Shirley Bassey - "Goldfinger"
The John Barry Orchestra - "James Bond Theme"
Nancy Sinatra - "You Only Live Twice"
Louis Armstrong - "We Have All The Time In The World"
Carly Simon - "Nobody Does It Better"
Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"

View attachment 199466

Rank (Movie):
Goldfinger
From Russia With Love
Dr. No
On Her Majesty's Secret Service
The Spy Who Loved Me
Thunderball
You Only Live Twice
Live And Let Die
The Man With The Golden Gun
Diamonds Are Forever

Rank (Song):
Shirley Bassey - "Diamonds Are Forever"
Shirley Bassey - "Goldfinger"
The John Barry Orchestra - "James Bond Theme"
Nancy Sinatra - "You Only Live Twice"
Louis Armstrong - "We Have All The Time In The World"
Carly Simon - "Nobody Does It Better"
Tom Jones - "Thunderball"
Paul McCartney - "Live And Let Die"
Lulu - "The Man With The Golden Gun"
The John Berry Orchestra - "On Her Majesty's Secret Service"
Matt Monro - "From Russia With Love"
The first bond i saw at the pictures (I were 6)

This post makes me curious to know: what's the worst movie that everyone has seen in the theater?

oooooh, hmm.

it's probably see no evil from 2006 with the wrestler kane. i was in salt lake city for a conference or something and had nothing to do so i went and saw the movie by myself. it's a very bad slasher movie, but i found it to still be the fun kind of bad at least, and i certainly wasn't expecting it to be good.

but it was thir13en ghosts that first came to mind when i read the question. i saw that when i was over in oxford england as part of my last semester of college, and i remember absolutely hating it and not having any fun, with only the scene of someone getting sliced top to bottom by a sheet of glass then one half sliding down the glass so you could see the innards of the other half being the lone standout moment. it seems that movie has gained a cult status though so maybe i was too harsh on it- i feel like any movie that earns a cult following must have something redeemable about it. *shrug* i do remember being really mad i wasted 2+ hours or whatever of my relatively limited time in another country seeing this shit.

This post makes me curious to know: what's the worst movie that everyone has seen in the theater?

My answer is probably Slender Man, which I sometimes have to remind myself is indeed a real movie that I actually paid money to see on the big screen.
I’ve seen some stinkers, but 2003’s View from the Top left me feeling like I’d been robbed for the first time. Excellent cast, completely hollow and soulless execution. In hindsight, I think it has promise as there are some funny dry humor moments, but falls flat otherwise. Also, I had seen Old School in theaters one month prior and that was a top theater experience for me, so maybe my expectations were too high as a 15 year old.

I also saw Britney’s Crossroads but never felt like there were reasonable expectations for that one so I don’t remember being particularly disappointed.

Biggest turnaround movie: Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. I went from thinking I had wasted my money about 20 minutes in to being an Oedekerk convert by the end.

Pretty sure we saw both IT chapters in theaters, and if that is the case then Chapter 2 antagonized me deeply. But if my memory is incorrect and I didn't see that in theaters, then Godzilla (2014) is my next most offensive theater watch.

Vice or The Hobbit 3 probably. Both total dogshit.

Biggest turnaround movie: Kung Pow: Enter the Fist. I went from thinking I had wasted my money about 20 minutes in to being an Oedekerk convert by the end.
THAT'S ALOTTA NUTS.

This one was formative.

Godzilla (2014) is my next most offensive theater watch.
Don't think this one is great, but I do appreciate what it was going for! I think it's better than the dopey direction the new franchise went.

My answer is probably Slender Man, which I sometimes have to remind myself is indeed a real movie that I actually paid money to see on the big screen.
Hmmm....I saw the third or fourth Twilight in theaters. I'm not sure which one. The woman I was dating at the time liked them so I went. I didn't ask one question to get caught up on the plot because I didn't care and the plot was pretty surface level.

Probably for movies I chose and didn't go because someone else was into a series (although I think it was with the same SO):

The Orphan.

The only thing that saved it was there were two groups in the theater making commentary for most of it a la Mystery Science Theater.

Usually chatterboxes during a movie would be annoying but they were kind of funny and more entertaining than the actual movie.

The Black Dahlia. I've still never finished it, if I ever have insomnia, I can probably just pop this on.

Can't really decide between The Hobbit trilogy or Bayformers 2 & 3 (first one is also bad but not as bad as the sequels).

Pretty sure we saw both IT chapters in theaters, and if that is the case then Chapter 2 antagonized me deeply. But if my memory is incorrect and I didn't see that in theaters, then Godzilla (2014) is my next most offensive theater watch.
tEEdq58.gif

Don't think this one is great, but I do appreciate what it was going for! I think it's better than the dopey direction the new franchise went.

My takeaway was that it was the West rewriting our own role in executing nuclear warfare on Japan, which I found too antithetical to the (rightfully critical) spirit of the original.

I only started enjoying the western franchise with Godzilla vs Kong (though I don't care much for any other King Kong installment). The new movie doesn't interest me in the least, however.

I think I ended up seeing It: Chapter Two twice in the theater because of different friend groups wanting to see it on different days, which is probably a big reason I've never had any desire to rewatch it since. That's a total of six hours I spent watching that disappointment in the cinema. Bleh.
Is Godzilla 2014 not connected to the new movies anymore? I can't keep up with the MonsterVerse or whatever they're calling it these days. I could have sworn at one point they tried to say Pacific Rim was a part of it too.
Godzilla opinions aside, I just watched His Girl Friday for the first time last month. Wonderful, hilarious little movie.

Back