Movies

Poor Things finally started showing in my local theater this week, and after a conflicted first viewing I decided to watch it a second time. I'm disappointed to report that I hated it. It definitely had some positives: the performances were stellar, the cinematography was stunning, and I think most of the humor worked well while not taking away from the tone of the film. But as a story I feel that it had very little to offer. A decent amount of shock factor and often hinting at more to chew on behind that, but it's a rare case where I find less to be interested in the more I think about it. Take my opinion with a grain of salt though, bc personally I'd say the same thing about all of Lanthimos's movies (except for maybe The Lobster)

Oscar nominees: 2024 Oscar Nominations: 'Barbie,' 'Oppenheimer' and 'American Fiction' Among Nominees — See the Full List

Various thoughts:
- Really solid best picture lineup. Only one I haven't seen yet is Zone (finally catching next weekend) but everything I have is at least good.
- International aspects of the Academy really shining with Anatomy of a Fall and Zone of Interest making it in.
- France fucked up hard by not submitting Anatomy of a Fall, which has 5 (!) nominations for the taste of things, which didn't make it in at all.
- GODZILLA OSCAR NOMINATED LETS GOOOOOO
- The acting categories ROUGH this year. Sterling K Brown over Charles Melton? America Ferrera and Jodie Foster over Sandra Huller and Julianne Moore (this is especially egregious when Robbie and Gerwig didn't even get nominated)? Colman Domingo over Andrew Scott? Annette Bening over Greta Lee or Margot Robbie??? What are we doing guys. AT least the winners will still be good.
- Convinced John WIlliams and Dianne Warren could record farts into a microphone and still get an oscar nom that year. Can we move on please.
- Documentary is weird as hell this year, i've only even heard of one of these nominees.
- Now that Perfect Days and Robot Dreams are oscar nominees, CAN I WATCH THEM NOW NEON PLEASE COME ON.

I think that's all I got. Fun time of year. Will rank the bp noms like I always do when I catch ZOne in a few days

Oscar nominees: 2024 Oscar Nominations: 'Barbie,' 'Oppenheimer' and 'American Fiction' Among Nominees — See the Full List

Various thoughts:
- Really solid best picture lineup. Only one I haven't seen yet is Zone (finally catching next weekend) but everything I have is at least good.
- International aspects of the Academy really shining with Anatomy of a Fall and Zone of Interest making it in.
- France fucked up hard by not submitting Anatomy of a Fall, which has 5 (!) nominations for the taste of things, which didn't make it in at all.
- The acting categories ROUGH this year. Sterling K Brown over Charles Melton? America Ferrera and Jodie Foster over Sandra Huller and Julianne Moore (this is especially egregious when Robbie and Gerwig didn't even get nominated)? Colman Domingo over Andrew Scott? Annette Bening over Greta Lee or Margot Robbie??? What are we doing guys. AT least the winners will still be good.
- Convinced John WIlliams and Dianne Warren could record farts into a microphone and still get an oscar nom that year. Can we move on please.
- Documentary is weird as hell this year, i've only even heard of one of these nominees.
- Now that Perfect Days and Robot Dreams are oscar nominees, CAN I WATCH THEM NOW NEON PLEASE COME ON.

I think that's all I got. Fun time of year. Will rank the bp noms like I always do when I catch ZOne in a few days
Some of the acting category decisions are absolutely baffling. I genuinely thought Margot Robbie was a shoe-in.

Various thoughts:

Super bummed for Andrew Scott, would have loved to have seen a nomination for him.

...I thought people hated Nyad?

Skipping over Robbie and Gerwig is a terrible look. Of course they'll toss Gerwig the adapted screenplay award, but c'mon.

Not all of the nominations are terrible, but I predict a lot of fumbles like Stone winning over Gladstone, or Spiderverse winning over Boy/Heron (both those wins would be good wins for deserving performances, but would undercut what I'd call better, bolder choices).

Super bummed for Andrew Scott, would have loved to have seen a nomination for him.
Yea, would've loved to see some AoUS love. Ah well.

Skipping over Robbie and Gerwig is a terrible look. Of course they'll toss Gerwig the adapted screenplay award, but c'mon.

Not all of the nominations are terrible, but I predict a lot of fumbles like Stone winning over Gladstone, or Spiderverse winning over Boy/Heron (both those wins would be good wins for deserving performances, but would undercut what I'd call better, bolder choices).
The Academy loves mediocre biopics, so I guess I'm not surprised that Nyad did well, but the snubs are especially egregious this year.

Would prefer Gladstone and Heron wins, but wouldn't be mad about Stone and Spider verse winning instead. All great movies and performances.

Yea, would've loved to see some AoUS love. Ah well.

The Academy loves mediocre biopics, so I guess I'm not surprised that Nyad did well, but the snubs are especially egregious this year.

Would prefer Gladstone and Heron wins, but wouldn't be mad about Stone and Spider verse winning instead. All great movies and performances.
I haven't seen "Rustin" yet so can't say if I'd pick Scott over Colman Domingo but I would definitely take him over Bradley Cooper.

I haven't seen Nyad yet but will watch based on the noms. I have seen all 10 best pic nominees though!

Various thoughts:

Greta Gerwig and Margot Robbie shoulda received noms directing and acting noms.

Back