Movies

Oh, so you haven’t yet seen Ghosts of Mars. The only thing I remember from that movie is the lady a few rows ahead of me absolutely SCREAMING “Don’t open the do’, Ice Cube!!!”

Alas, he opened the do’.
You say this but I just watched The Ward, which I found momentless.
I admit I'm speaking purely from personal experience. I've enjoyed what I've sampled from Carpenter's filmography so far, but there's also plenty of his I haven't seen, including these two.

I did not watch the Golden Globes, but thoughts on the winners.

- Oppenheimer is speeding toward a BP win come oscars at this point.
- Love seeing both Stone and Gladstone winning. Reminds me of Yeoh and Blanchett last year. Two amazing performances. Would be happy with either taking the oscar.
- fuck yeah, Anatomy of a Fall in screenplay and intl film.
- fuck yeah, boy and the heron for animated.

I admit I'm speaking purely from personal experience. I've enjoyed what I've sampled from Carpenter's filmography so far, but there's also plenty of his I haven't seen, including these two.
His late period movies are (generally) considered wet farts, but the vast majority of his filmography whips ass. Also, I think In the Mouth of Madness is one of his best, so he still had it in the 90s.

His late period movies are (generally) considered wet farts, but the vast majority of his filmography whips ass. Also, I think In the Mouth of Madness is one of his best, so he still had it in the 90s.
Towards the end of his peak, he still always had the vibes down pat even if the execution wasn't always there.

For those unfamiliar, Indiewire critic David Erhlich does a (fantastic) supercut for his favorite movies of the year, and for the last several, he's done a gofundme for various charities before he decides to make it. He's posted this year's if anybody is interested!

Banger.

I wanna see The Taste of Things! But technically it's a 2024 release if you didn't get to watch it at a festival, so I guess it'll go on my list for this year. Broker made it on my 2023 list for similar reasons (December 26th 2022 release date? Get out of here, that's a 2023 movie.)

Banger.

I wanna see The Taste of Things! But technically it's a 2024 release if you didn't get to watch it at a festival, so I guess it'll go on my list for this year. Broker made it on my 2023 list for similar reasons (December 26th 2022 release date? Get out of here, that's a 2023 movie.)
I give it til the end of January, so I'm holdin out hope that All of Us Strangers and Zone of Interest will be available to watch so i can get em on mt 2023 list. As far as I know, Taste of Things wide release is mid February, so it'll be on 2024's for me (if it's that good).

I give it til the end of January, so I'm holdin out hope that All of Us Strangers and Zone of Interest will be available to watch so i can get em on mt 2023 list. As far as I know, Taste of Things wide release is mid February, so it'll be on 2024's for me (if it's that good).
unrelated, I just now realized that I tagged @gaporter while I was in Louisville over the holiday, thinking she was from there, when I was actually thinking of you!

edit: someone pointed out to me that I misgendered Gap here. I sincerely apologize.

Last edited:
I did not watch the Golden Globes, but thoughts on the winners.

- Oppenheimer is speeding toward a BP win come oscars at this point.
- Love seeing both Stone and Gladstone winning. Reminds me of Yeoh and Blanchett last year. Two amazing performances. Would be happy with either taking the oscar.
- fuck yeah, Anatomy of a Fall in screenplay and intl film.
- fuck yeah, boy and the heron for animated.

Really hoping Poor Things or Killers provides an upset. I liked Openheimer a lot when I first watched it, but the longer I've sat with it, the further its dipped down my end of year list.

I realize I'm in the minority but:

Openheimer is an entertaining and meticulously made biopic with a muddled third act because it doesn't know what it wants to say or didn't know how to communicate it. It also features, in what is becoming a clear pattern for Nolan, poorly written women characters.

Killers of the Flower Moon is a meticulously made film that has a TON to say about America's past and how it relates to current times. It is an uncomfortable watch but one that nails what it is trying to communicate thematically.

Poor Things might be better than both of them. Because it's also meticulously made and thematically rich... while also being wildly entertaining and imaginative. But I feel like it's too abrasive in its content to actually win.

Last edited:
Really hoping Poor Things or Killers provides an upset. I liked Openheimer a lot when I first watched it, but the longer I've sat with it, the further its dipped down my end of year list.

Openheimer is an entertaining and meticulously made biopic with a muddled third act because it doesn't know what it wants to say or didn't know how to communicate it. It also features, in what is becoming a clear pattern for Nolan, poorly written women characters.

Killers of the Flower Moon is a meticulously made film that has a TON to say about America's past and how it relates to current times. It is an uncomfortable watch but one that nails what it is trying to communicate thematically.

Poor Things might be better than both of them. Because it's also meticulously made and thematically rich... while also being wildly entertaining and imaginative. But I feel like it's too abrasive in its content to actually win.
I think it's Oppenheimer's trophy to lose, IMO the only films that could possibly upset it would be Poor Things (lots of momentum after last night plus going wide soon might help it?) or the Holdovers. Anatomy of a Fall could also sneak in there somewhere but don't think it could top Oppenheimer.

This is my current list, but I still have a few gaps I intend to fill (May December, Ferrari, Poor Things, Anatomy of a Fall, Iron Claw, American Fiction):

View attachment 191881
LIST UPDATE:
1704737188163.png

I acknowledge every criticism there is to make against Beau is Afraid, but the longer I sit with it the more I’m amazed at how fully the movie captures the fractured logic of an anxiety dream.

Last edited:
unrelated, I just now realized that I tagged @gaporter while I was in Louisville over the holiday, thinking she was from there, when I was actually thinking of you!

edit: someone pointed out to me that I misgendered Gap here. I sincerely apologize.
Whenever you're back in town give me a shout! Same for @gaporter

All 3 will be in my top 10 of the year with Poor Things probably my #1. They all have pretty strong merits and some flaws. The Barbenheimer craze over the Summer + the Academy's love of Nolan plus the fact he's never won an oscar will give Op the edge for the top prize this time I think.

All 3 will be in my top 10 of the year with Poor Things probably my #1. They all have pretty strong merits and some flaws. The Barbenheimer craze over the Summer + the Academy's love of Nolan plus the fact he's never won an oscar will give Op the edge for the top prize this time I think.

I don't disagree that it's the clear cut favorite and is probably sitting at a 80% chance of winning. And I have Openheimer just inside my top 10 sitting in front of Saltburn-- which is the other film I enjoyed very much and is gorgeously made but has very clear flaws in it's 3rd act.

But Killer and Pretty Things are not only my 1 & 2, they are both in my top 5 for the decade thus far.

So I'm gonna hold out hope that we get a Moonlight over LaLa. Or even Parasite winning in the last year that was this stacked. Because is Parasite the film I return to the most between it JoJo, Once Upon and Marriage Story? No, but still probably the best of four films I consider masterpieces.

Btw, I had covid right before Xmas and doing lists of my favorite on 100 films of the 90's, 00's and 10's + 50 for this decade if anyone wants to dig through them.

Tracking my favorite films of the 2020's Tracking my favorite films of the 2020's

100 reasons the 2010's were a wonderful decade for film 100 reasons the 2010's were a wonderful decade for film

100 awesome films from the 2000's aka the line between favs and "best" is always blurred 100 awesome films from the 2000's aka the line between favs and "best" is always blurred

100 films that define my 90's experience 100 films that define my 90's experience

I'm always curious about who wins the awards each year, but I can't bring myself to care too much in any way because I'm not even willing to rank movies, books, music for myself anymore. I don't know what happened, but a some years back I was working on a list at the end of the year and something just broke (it was also around the time I deleted all my social media and accounts like Goodreads and such, maybe I was in the midst of a visceral reaction to the quantified life). Like, Letterboxd looks cool, but also weirdly exhausting?

I do like seeing everyone else's lists mainly in the hopes of finding something good, though!

I'm always curious about who wins the awards each year, but I can't bring myself to care too much in any way because I'm not even willing to rank movies, books, music for myself anymore. I don't know what happened, but a some years back I was working on a list at the end of the year and something just broke (it was also around the time I deleted all my social media and accounts like Goodreads and such, maybe I was in the midst of a visceral reaction to the quantified life). Like, Letterboxd looks cool, but also weirdly exhausting?

I do like seeing everyone else's lists mainly in the hopes of finding something good, though!
I find Letterboxd weirdly theraputic, but I agree with you in general.

If it was all about ranking I might feel the same way, but it's a platform that lets you be infinitely creative about how you use it! I enjoy seeing different people's approaches to how they review/log/convey their watches.

I don't feel the need to assign a rating to everything I watch unless I feel strongly about it (low, mid, or high). You could forgot ratings together and use it purely as a record of what you've watched (and when if you're logging as you go). You could approach reviews seriously or simply make throwaway one-liners (which seem to garner quite a lot of likes from the community). I know folks whose review format always starts with how they watched it (in theaters, blur-ray, VOD, streaming subs, edition, etc.) since they often revisit movies in alt/remastered mediums.

Rankings are something I struggle with because the way I feel about titles differs day to day. Even the idea of the Top 4 on our profiles is a challenge for me as I could rotate a good 6–8 as my absolute faves. Some folks put in their profile that their Fave 4 isn't their all-time faves but an actual rotation of recent top views, etc.

Letterboxd does a really great job of inspiring a variety of lists as well through their regular Showdowns where they set a theme and ask for your ten favorite examples, then they average out the community responses to uncover the ten most favorite movies that fit the theme. I've made a list with the goal of collecting every winter horror/thriller movie regardless of quality. I also took inspiration from the many joke lists I've seen that put a spotlight on unusually specific themes across unrelated movies to create this small but amusing connection: Bad situations get significantly worse when little Danish girls lose a rabbit named Ninus

It's also been a helpful tool to alert me when items on my watchlist appear on my preferred streamers.

As someone who has also struggled with the weight of social media, I'd have to say Letterboxd has really risen to be my favorite. I know this is a lot you may not have been asking for, but I'm sure others here would love to have you join us there!

Personally, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with Oppenheimer. I respect it as a very well-crafted movie in the hands of obviously very capable people, but that’s about it.

Poor Things is fucking art (literally!). Perfect film imo.

I agree on the Oppenheimer / Killers of the Flower Moon. Haven’t seen Poor Things yet. But Oppenheimer is pretty remarkable that it was such a big blockbuster. It’s so well made and has some great sequences, but as a whole I think it’s a bit flawed. Though it’s number 10 for me. Killers of the Flower Moon deserves so much more acclaim than it’s getting as we get closer to the Oscars. It’s a movie that really does a lot, says a lot, and manages to be incredibly engaged for 3.5 hours.

Back