Movies

Gizmo was a Christmas present and Phoebe Cates Character’s father did die in a horrifically Christmasy way. I still don’t think it’s a “Christmas movie” in the classic sense but ‘Tis the Gremlins Season in my household as well.
Also this might be a hot take but Gremlins 2: The New Batch might be even better than the original. They are close.

Also this might be a hot take but Gremlins 2: The New Batch might be even better than the original. They are close.
I'm so excited to re-watch this one cause it's been a long time and I barely remember it. But i love the first one. It's been a favorite since I was a kid.

edit: this sketch though

I'm so excited to re-watch this one cause it's been a long time and I barely remember it. But i love the first one. It's been a favorite since I was a kid.

edit: this sketch though

My mom, god bless her, thought based on the Gizmo centric previews that Gremlins would be the perfect film to take her then 3 year old son (me) to back in 1984 thinking it would be another light-hearted E.T. esqe type flick.

I was never the same.

Yeah, he nails it. I love his indecipherable cursing. We save The Christmas Story for Christmas Eve/Christmas Day it plays on a 24 hour loop on TNT and TBS. It is basically our Yule Log.
Yep. For years my family had it running in the background 12 TIMES, 12 TIMES, 12 TIIIIIIMES and now it doesn’t feel like Christmas without it.

It’s really just a delightful confluence of a lovely script with an incredibly game cast.

Yep. For years my family had it running in the background 12 TIMES, 12 TIMES, 12 TIIIIIIMES and now it doesn’t feel like Christmas without it.

It’s really just a delightful confluence of a lovely script with an incredibly game cast.
That became sort of a thing for my family as well, like all day Christmas day just having the movie on in the background. Because of that I think I've seen it more than any other movie.

That became sort of a thing for my family as well, like all day Christmas day just having the movie on in the background. Because of that I think I've seen it more than any other movie.
And the best part is that it’s essentially a series of vignettes based on the Jean Shepherd’s short stories so you can check in and out throughout the day and pick it up wherever. It’s perfect in that regard.

Darren McGavin’s performance in this movie is one of the few perfect things in this world.

Tons of love for Melinda Dillon as well. Every member of that family represents such a specific mood/attitude around Christmas; I feel like I latch onto a different one with each rewatch.

Notafinger!

Shoot, I'm gonna have to watch this for the third time tonight, aren't I?
tenor.gif

Tons of love for Melinda Dillon as well. Every member of that family represents such a specific mood/attitude around Christmas; I feel like I latch onto a different one with each rewatch.

Notafinger!

Shoot, I'm gonna have to watch this for the third time tonight, aren't I?
tenor.gif
Dillon is absolutely wonderful. The scene where she finds Randy crying under the counter after Ralphie's fight, and the way she deals with him, is so genuinely motherly.

Dillon is absolutely wonderful. The scene where she finds Randy crying under the counter after Ralphie's fight, and the way she deals with him, is so genuinely motherly.
One of her best scenes is when they are at the Chinese Restaurant with the smiling duck, the way she oscillates between laughing and crying is fantastic.

Last edited:
Back