Movies

Watching Inheritance starring Lily Collins for the second time this week. The first time I watched it I was multitasking while working and missed some parts.

Good movie. I recommend it if you like thrillers, mystery and suspense movies.

In case this was on anyone's radar after winning both top prizes (Grand Jury and Audience) at Sundance this year, this random film fest in Virginia dropped more tickets for it's virtual screening of Minari tonight...A24 film, so you know it's gonna be good. :p

In case this was on anyone's radar after winning both top prizes (Grand Jury and Audience) at Sundance this year, this random film fest in Virginia dropped more tickets for it's virtual screening of Minari tonight...A24 film, so you know it's gonna be good. :p

I just ran across the trailer for this the other day. Looks devastating, in a good way.

Just caught up on this entire thread in less than 24 hours haha. A few thoughts:

- My favorite Christmas movie to rewatch every year is About a Boy. Don't watch it with me though because I will ruin it with my preemptive laughter/excitement for nearly every scene and funny line.
- Didn't see anyone mention that Bradley Cooper was a producer on Joker - I liked him in Alias and Wet Hot American Summer but I really don't get how he's cemented himself as an A-lister and somehow never gets blamed for all of the steaming piles of shit he unloads at the box office.
- I'm with @ChristoBee in enjoying Hateful Eight more than Django and Inglorious Basterds.
- my quirky ass Wes Anderson character is a "geriatric decorated admiral who just inherited a steamboat" [I would watch this!]
- Emma is the best 2020 movie I've seen this year, and Attack the Block is the best non-2020 movie I saw for the first time this year.
- My favorite halloween-adjacent [semi-]animated movie which I haven't seen in years but am planning to rewatch this year is Casper.
- Really excited to stream New Order and Gaza Mon Amour this weekend with the Chicago Int'l Film Fest (h/t @siremobunny )
- I'm also "ericj32" on Letterboxd if anyone wants to be friends on there

Just caught up on this entire thread in less than 24 hours haha. A few thoughts:

- My favorite Christmas movie to rewatch every year is About a Boy. Don't watch it with me though because I will ruin it with my preemptive laughter/excitement for nearly every scene and funny line.
- Didn't see anyone mention that Bradley Cooper was a producer on Joker - I liked him in Alias and Wet Hot American Summer but I really don't get how he's cemented himself as an A-lister and somehow never gets blamed for all of the steaming piles of shit he unloads at the box office.
- I'm with @ChristoBee in enjoying Hateful Eight more than Django and Inglorious Basterds.
- my quirky ass Wes Anderson character is a "geriatric decorated admiral who just inherited a steamboat" [I would watch this!]
- Emma is the best 2020 movie I've seen this year, and Attack the Block is the best non-2020 movie I saw for the first time this year.
- My favorite halloween-adjacent [semi-]animated movie which I haven't seen in years but am planning to rewatch this year is Casper.
- Really excited to stream New Order and Gaza Mon Amour this weekend with the Chicago Int'l Film Fest (h/t @siremobunny )
Just finished New Order and it was pretty wild and brutal 😲 ...quite good tho

Also, About a Boy is a fine film, indeed.

And the soundtrack for About a Boy is wonderful too... By Badly Drawn Boy

Just finished New Order and it was pretty wild and brutal 😲 ...quite good tho

Also, About a Boy is a fine film, indeed.

Uhhhh - so, I took too long apparently in deciding which films to buy tickets for, and New Order is already sold out for CIFF. And it looks like it's sold out at AFI fest, too.

Do you know of any other festivals offering streams of Nuevo Orden/New Order?

Also - I bought some tickets for Milwaukee Int'l Film festival, and they allow you to buy a ticket to use anytime within the date range of the festival (Oct 15-29) - you just buy the ticket and then you can stream the film for 48 hours from the time that you first start playing that film. I assumed Chicago was the same way, but it's apparently not, haha - so now I have 5 films I just paid for (I was worried about them selling out, too!) that I need to watch in the next 48 hours.

I suck at film festival-ing.

Uhhhh - so, I took too long apparently in deciding which films to buy tickets for, and New Order is already sold out for CIFF. And it looks like it's sold out at AFI fest, too.

Do you know of any other festivals offering streams of Nuevo Orden/New Order?

Also - I bought some tickets for Milwaukee Int'l Film festival, and they allow you to buy a ticket to use anytime within the date range of the festival (Oct 15-29) - you just buy the ticket and then you can stream the film for 48 hours from the time that you first start playing that film. I assumed Chicago was the same way, but it's apparently not, haha - so now I have 5 films I just paid for (I was worried about them selling out, too!) that I need to watch in the next 48 hours.

I suck at film festival-ing.
Those are the only two that I knew of with New Order, but no worries...I wouldn't call it essential viewing and it'll get a regular release eventually. What 5 films did you end up with?

CIFF is actually the same way for most of the films. Once you buy a ticket, you have til the 25th to watch it, but I think you only have 48 hours after you *start* watching it to finish it.

Edit: if you really had your heart set on seeing New Order, Phildelphia Film Festival has it, but it's two showtimes with a 4 hour viewing window, and it's $15

Also, there's a chance AFI could add passes for it later...they've done that already for a few sold out films.

Last edited:
I watched Train To Busan again last night and have the new one, Peninsula, lined up ready to watch.

Im not convinced its going to be as good as Train To Busan, in fact, the trailer looks way over the top. Kind of like how the first fast and the furious was about car racing and by the latest one they're racing tanks and submarines across ice and jumping cars from one sky scraper to the other.

Those are the only two that I knew of with New Order, but no worries...I wouldn't call it essential viewing and it'll get a regular release eventually. What 5 films did you end up with?

CIFF is actually the same way for most of the films. Once you buy a ticket, you have til the 25th to watch it, but I think you only have 48 hours after you *start* watching it to finish it.

You know what, you're right haha about CIFF. I'm just dumb and got my dates confused. PHEW!

Was New Order at least fun to watch? Or does it seem like a ripoff of Parasite?

I ended up getting And Tomorrow the Entire World, Apples, The Comeback, Gaza Mon Amor, and Summer of '85. I wanted to do The Woman Who Ran, too, but it looks like it's restricted to just midwest states for streaming.

I also did Black Bear (Aubrey Plaza acted/produced), Martin Eden, and some shorts from the Milwaukee film fest.

You know what, you're right haha about CIFF. I'm just dumb and got my dates confused. PHEW!

Was New Order at least fun to watch? Or does it seem like a ripoff of Parasite?

I ended up getting And Tomorrow the Entire World, Apples, The Comeback, Gaza Mon Amor, and Summer of '85. I wanted to do The Woman Who Ran, too, but it looks like it's restricted to just midwest states for streaming.

I also did Black Bear (Aubrey Plaza acted/produced), Martin Eden, and some shorts from the Milwaukee film fest.
Solid selection. New Order was pretty humorless overall, and nowhere near as fun as Parasite. There was a bit where it seemed like it going to be a rich people getting their asses handed to them fantasy, but then it kind of turned into a brutal all sides are terrible cautionary tale. It was good and interesting, but I dunno if I'd recommend getting a $15 ticket for it.

Exclamation point makes me think Aronofsky.

The Bong-Joon Ho one is a masterpiece though.
I thought so, too, and wrote a response about how mother! took me by surprise even though I’d heard it was polarizing and was bracing myself. But then I thought maybe he was just excited about the Joon-Ho one so I deleted that part of my comment haha.

seriously though - does anyone have a solid grasp on what is going on in mother! and what that ending is about? I felt like I was into it and just impressed with the audacity of making something that felt both confrontational and deeply personal, but certain things threw me off toward the end. It just felt like it was the most important thing in the world while I was watching it, but also kind of hurt my brain.

Back