Movies

View attachment 65205

So, this movie.
Holy shit.
That's all I can say.
I took a non-calculated risk and started this with my wife. I knew I made a mistake when she said "does this whole movie task place in the car?" She fell asleep shortly thereafter and I proceeded to keep watching for that mindfuck of a house arrival and beyond. I was a little drunk so I stopped it a bit after because it was soo dense. Going to resume today I think so I can absorb it a bit better.

I took a non-calculated risk and started this with my wife. I knew I made a mistake when she said "does this whole movie task place in the car?" She fell asleep shortly thereafter and I proceeded to keep watching for that mindfuck of a house arrival and beyond. I was a little drunk so I stopped it a bit after because it was soo dense. Going to resume today I think so I can absorb it a bit better.
Just finished ITOET and I think it ended a bit too esoteric for my taste. Sounds like Charlie veered heavily from the book’s violent ending so as to not put the weight of the movie on a big twist reveal. IMO, I think the twist reveal would have been more satisfying to the average film watcher. Instead, it went the more artistic route, which I can understand just not sure it will produce any rewatches from me.

The book ending, while violent and predictable in a sense, would have tied things together in a way a
choreographed dance and musical couldn’t.
Just my personal preference.

@Melt Face Molly Drop Totally agreed. My roommate and I enjoyed the book (I more so than them), and while we enjoyed how Kaufman reframed the central issue of the narrative, the ending sequence really detracted from the weightiness that issue deserved. We actually liked the first half of the sequence and could have left it at that, tbh. Overall, still a great movie, but I also won't be rewatching.

@Melt Face Molly Drop Totally agreed. My roommate and I enjoyed the book (I more so than them), and while we enjoyed how Kaufman reframed the central issue of the narrative, the ending sequence really detracted from the weightiness that issue deserved. We actually liked the first half of the sequence and could have left it at that, tbh. Overall, still a great movie, but I also won't be rewatching.
Yep, the level of intensity that was built up to the point where the young woman gets locked out of the car and starts walking up to the school was great. Then it kinda just sputtered from there.

Just finished ITOET and I think it ended a bit too esoteric for my taste. Sounds like Charlie veered heavily from the book’s violent ending so as to not put the weight of the movie on a big twist reveal. IMO, I think the twist reveal would have been more satisfying to the average film watcher. Instead, it went the more artistic route, which I can understand just not sure it will produce any rewatches from me.

The book ending, while violent and predictable in a sense, would have tied things together in a way a
I just started watching ITOET last night; got halfway through it. I was actually hesitant to check it out, as I read the book a couple weeks ago, and found the ending to be horrid. It's exactly the type of ending I hate where
everything strange you've seen can be attributed to a decaying mental state, negating any sense of mystery and stymying any attempts at pinning logic to the previous two hours

However, I'd say the movie does more to plant seeds of what the story is about; so far it doesn't feel as much like a rug-pull as the book makes it. It feels like Kaufman is trying to convey the truth behind the weirdness from the jump. I'm actually curious what it'd be like to go in cold, as from the moment they show the janitor early in the movie I knew exactly where things were going and what the story was trying to convey.

I just started watching ITOET last night; got halfway through it. I was actually hesitant to check it out, as I read the book a couple weeks ago, and found the ending to be horrid. It's exactly the type of ending I hate where
everything strange you've seen can be attributed to a decaying mental state, negating any sense of mystery and stymying any attempts at pinning logic to the previous two hours

However, I'd say the movie does more to plant seeds of what the story is about; so far it doesn't feel as much like a rug-pull as the book makes it. It feels like Kaufman is trying to convey the truth behind the weirdness from the jump. I'm actually curious what it'd be like to go in cold, as from the moment they show the janitor early in the movie I knew exactly where things were going and what the story was trying to convey.
I agree here. And had this movie come out 20 years ago, I feel they likely would have kept the violent ending in place, but to your point, the decaying mental state trope w/ twist has been overdone time and time again to the point where it's not shocking anymore but potentially more damaging to mental health stigmas.

All that aside, let's talk about the way the movie was shot. Is that a 4:3 ratio? Distracting at first, but fit well with the narrative IMO. Does anyone know why they did that?

All that aside, let's talk about the way the movie was shot. Is that a 4:3 ratio? Distracting at first, but fit well with the narrative IMO. Does anyone know why they did that?
That stood out to me as well! I don't see anything from the horse's mouth wrt the aspect ratio, but it certainly helps increase the claustrophobia and tension. It's also a more noticeable choice in a world where most screens are 16:9. It also means a different sense of framing scenes; Kubrick's later films used a similar aspect ratio, and it seems like Wes Anderson is playing with it more and more (though I'd say at least in Grand Budapest it's a more pointed and deliberate move to delineate the stories being told).

Funny we've come to this point when, 20 years ago, we were used to cropping and pan-and-scan, and people were complaining about the black bars on their dvds.

That stood out to me as well! I don't see anything from the horse's mouth wrt the aspect ratio, but it certainly helps increase the claustrophobia and tension. It's also a more noticeable choice in a world where most screens are 16:9. It also means a different sense of framing scenes; Kubrick's later films used a similar aspect ratio, and it seems like Wes Anderson is playing with it more and more (though I'd say at least in Grand Budapest it's a more pointed and deliberate move to delineate the stories being told).

Funny we've come to this point when, 20 years ago, we were used to cropping and pan-and-scan, and people were complaining about the black bars on their dvds.
I always felt immediate disdain for any VHS tape I popped in that was labeled as widescreen. Having those 4:3 ratio square tube TVs that weren't very big to begin with, then adding black bars and I had to use a magnifying glass to watch the movie. Now that TVs are massive it's not that big of a deal, but man, I'd wish someone would agree on an industry standard and stick with it. Artistic direction be damned.

I'd wish someone would agree on an industry standard and stick with it. Artistic direction be damned.
I find your take to be offensive and just-plain dangerous. It's people like you who normalize pan-and-scan.

Then again, this was me seeing the aspect ratio change in Grand Budapest for the first time in theaters:
SeparateSelfassuredKittiwake-size_restricted.gif

I find your take to be offensive and just-plain dangerous. It's people like you who normalize pan-and-scan.

Then again, this was me seeing the aspect ratio change in Grand Budapest for the first time in theaters:
SeparateSelfassuredKittiwake-size_restricted.gif
And yes I realize the irony of finding a gif with letterbox bars. 😅

I agree. I think the book nails the ending but the movie gets a little too wonky and isn’t overly satisfying. But but but...I had a little revelation about it the other day.

So lately I have been digging into more musicals. And I’ve naturally found my way to Oklahoma! - the 2019 revival. It’s much darker, quieter, more bluegrass-y. It’s great. Anyway, there are a number of references to Oklahoma in ITOET. They hear a song on the radio, and there’s one or two shots of the janitor watching the kids perform it.

But that’s not all. So the song he sings (in ole age makeup) at the very end is also from the play, and it’s the one song sung by the villain of the show. In the show, he’s a farmhand with an obsession over a girl - and that’s what that song is about. It’s a menacing number about his loneliness and anger. It should also be noted that the villain in the show dies in the end, by his own knife (on accident). So there’s those parallels which I found very interesting. But that’s still not all.

Act I of Oklahoma ends in and extended instrumental dance sequence that starts nice and sweet and turns dark and violent. It’s very very similar to the dance sequence that pops up in ITOET. So while I think you can read into that scene as having deeper meaning, I also feel as though it’s kinda just the janitor thinking about Oklahoma, remembering the dance, and then drawing a connection to his lonely life. It gives a bit more shades of violence (set inflicted in this case), loneliness, and pining for love to his character.

still not totally crazy about the end of the film though. But I found all of that kinda neat, and I haven’t really seen anyone bring it up.

Back