Movies

I’m amazed by how many movies y’all watch. It takes me hours of deliberation to pluck a single movie from my increasingly large backlog.

I had never participated, even virtually, in a film fest before last Friday, but you spend an hour alone with @siremobunny in the JQBX room and suddenly he’s sending you links to all these film festivals he knows about and giving you lists of amazing films to check out and you realize that you have nothing better to do with your whole weekend, haha. It’s really fun seeing the live Q+A’s they do with the directors and then reviewing the films on Letterboxd, then reading and liking other people’s reviews, then voting for your faves on the fest sites and then seeing the fest award winners.

it’s nice seeing these films relatively early, too, because then you get more interaction and feedback on your letterboxd reviews (since there are so many fewer of them at that point). I got really excited because the person who interviewed the director of Apples for chicago liked my review of the film on letterboxd haha. Like i’d just seen her talking to the guy who made the movie! It feels like a really small little world, which is cool.

It also feels like it’s a good way to support filmmakers who are creating art that excites and inspires you and also to maybe help certain films by nudging them more into the spotlight just by talking about them and reviewing them on social media and supporting them financially before all of the decisions have been made about how they’ll be marketed more broadly, if at all.

I had never participated, even virtually, in a film fest before last Friday, but you spend an hour alone with @siremobunny in the JQBX room and suddenly he’s sending you links to all these film festivals he knows about and giving you lists of amazing films to check out and you realize that you have nothing better to do with your whole weekend, haha. It’s really fun seeing the live Q+A’s they do with the directors and then reviewing the films on Letterboxd, then reading and liking other people’s reviews, then voting for your faves on the fest sites and then seeing the fest award winners.

it’s nice seeing these films relatively early, too, because then you get more interaction and feedback on your letterboxd reviews (since there are so many fewer of them at that point). I got really excited because the person who interviewed the director of Apples for chicago liked my review of the film on letterboxd haha. Like i’d just seen her talking to the guy who made the movie! It feels like a really small little world, which is cool.

It also feels like it’s a good way to support filmmakers who are creating art that excites and inspires you and also to maybe help certain films by nudging them more into the spotlight just by talking about them and reviewing them on social media and supporting them financially before all of the decisions have been made about how they’ll be marketed more broadly, if at all.
I feel honored by this shout out 😁

Too Friday lazy to conjure links, but Chicago film fest is going on til Sunday and Milwaukee, Philadelphia and Indie Memphis fests are going on right now. Google and find some cool flicks to watch.

Solid selection. New Order was pretty humorless overall, and nowhere near as fun as Parasite. There was a bit where it seemed like it going to be a rich people getting their asses handed to them fantasy, but then it kind of turned into a brutal all sides are terrible cautionary tale. It was good and interesting, but I dunno if I'd recommend getting a $15 ticket for it.

Ooof yeah you were right. It was brutal to the point of just being painful to watch and difficult to take anything else away from the experience. For all the time it spent showing the savage violence, I feel like it could have sketched out a few of the characters a little more or provided more context on what the motivation was for the revolution - it just felt so emotionally detached and meaningless.

Ooof yeah you were right. It was brutal to the point of just being painful to watch and difficult to take anything else away from the experience. For all the time it spent showing the savage violence, I feel like it could have sketched out a few of the characters a little more or provided more context on what the motivation was for the revolution - it just felt so emotionally detached and meaningless.
I wanted to fault it for all of that, but it ultimately felt like what would happen, which is why my review fell in the middle.

14 years since the last Borat movie. It don’t know what it says about me but I still am laughing so hard my face hurts.
The first one has aged remarkably well so long as you remember that Borat is an absolute monster that exists to expose the worst aspects of human nature.

The naked fight sequence will never not be funny.

Borat 2 might be a better film than Borat 1.

The first one has aged remarkably well so long as you remember that Borat is an absolute monster that exists to expose the worst aspects of human nature.

The naked fight sequence will never not be funny.

Borat 2 might be a better film than Borat 1.
Well now I’m actually pretty excited to watch it tonight. I was already going to but was a little reticent cause I mean...it seems unnecessary? But I’m down with it.

Well now I’m actually pretty excited to watch it tonight. I was already going to but was a little reticent cause I mean...it seems unnecessary? But I’m down with it.
Oh, I was definitely reluctant. The irony of the first film is that a bunch of people watched it, didn't get the point and just laughed at the semitism without the self-awareness to realize that the mirror being held to our culture was damning.

Maria Bakalova is the real star of the movie, tbh.

“And Tomorrow The Entire World” is essentially German Harry Potter fan fic told from Hermione’s perspective. Gryffindor = Antifa and the Death Eaters = Right-Wing Nationalists. But the only magic in this world is the amount of wealth Hermione’s and Harry’s parents have to bail their kids out of whatever trouble they might get up to while they try to figure out just how violent they want to be as activists.

That’s actually what intrigues me about it, that it’s so stale and obvious and tired now, but that these people fell for it AGAIN.
Watched it last night and yeah that was like the funniest aspect of it to me. How in the world could people really fall for this yet again? It's insane.

The movie itself a little imperfect, but it's clear he had to scramble and make something new once the pandemic happened. But for what it's worth, I think he handled it pretty neatly. Fun, funny, uncomfortable...pretty much what you'd expect.

Has anyone seen Sound of Metal? I got a ticket to stream it from Philadelphia Film Fest tonight.

also found a $5 off discount code from googling since PFF charges $15 per film: PFF29FRINGE

Oh nice...thanks for the heads up on the discount code.

Took a break from festival stuff to watch some non-festival releases this weekend:

Borat 2: pretty damned funny

On the Rocks: fine, but kinda disappointing

Shithouse: excellent spin on the traditional college comedy (festival related sidenote: this was awarded the grand jury prize at SXSW this year. even though the festival didn't happen...now it's out to rent with sadly little buzz)

Last edited:
Back