Movies

BP is still the glass ceiling here, and I’d really like to see it shattered especially since it’s clearly being recognized that Parasite is the best written and directed film it would feel disingenuous to not give it BP.

BP is still the glass ceiling here, and I’d really like to see it shattered especially since it’s clearly being recognized that Parasite is the best written and directed film it would feel disingenuous to not give it BP.
1917 hasn't won in any of the major categories...has any best picture winner done that? i'm cautioiusly optimistic for Parasite now...

Did some quick googling, and besides shattering the longstanding bias against international features, this would also make Parasite only the second Palme d'Or winner to get BP from the Academy, the first being Marty in 1955, just one of many reasons this was such a long shot in my mind. For the Academy to go this left field, even when it was so obvious a choice was still refreshing.

Massive wins for Bong who clearly wasn't expecting any of them beyond International Feature. I'll be curious to see what this does for Korean cinema at large in mainstream American circles. Just awesome vibes all around, from an award ceremony that let us down so badly last year.

Great wins, but unfortunately Greta did not
Yeah it’s a shame. I wanted to see her get adapted screenplay pretty bad. Jojo Rabbit is a solid pick too, I still love that movie. But she/Little Women deserved more recognition from the awards. I felt Lady Bird did too. How was that nominated for directing but Little Women wasn’t? Weird

I am a bit surprised that Little Women didn’t get the adapted screenplay award. From what I’ve read, Taikia did a more extensive rework of his source material, and I think he got a slight advantage to seeming more topical, and being the first adaptation of that material. Little Women suffers from the perception that it’s just another remake when it’s really a cleverly disguised po-mo meta take on the story.

I think Little Women was the stronger film, but I still really like Jojo despite the controversy, most of which is fueled by stupid hot takes. My favorite one of the bunch was pitting it against A Hidden Life which some critics actually argued had more clarity of message! Another film I loved this year, but to think a wide audience would resonate with a 3 hour Terrance Malick mediation piece is just out of touch. Jojo isn’t Taikia’s best in my mind, but still has lot of the ingredients that made his NZ films so special, and I think he’s getting the recognition for that.

Back