Movies

My favorite recent Lovecraftian films remain Alex Garland's Annihilation which borrows the premise of this story, and The Endless which really punches above its budget to capture the Cthulhu vibe. This feels like a sleazier take on Carpenter's The Thing which isn't bad!
Have you seen Moorhead and Benson's earlier film Spring? Streamed it on Shudder today, and I like it even more than The Endless.

i’ll take that lighthouse code if it’s still up for grabs!

I always redeem them when I get them with blu-rays. I love having my physical media, but digital codes make it so easy to watch my movies whenever and wherever I want.
Yeah I will send it to you later tonight when I get the chance. And I still have to look through my other stuff to see what I have

Would anyone like a digital code for Parasite?
giphy.gif

I need to watch The Endless.
It was first on my radar because The Album Leaf did the soundtrack, but I honestly don't remember noticing the music much while watching. The diegetic country songs were more impressionable. Super enjoyable movie though! Unsettling in ways you might not expect. Well made.

Is...is it possible that we might get to see The Modern Ocean at some point after all?

Is...is it possible that we might get to see The Modern Ocean at some point after all?

oh please let this happen (The Modern Ocean that is). I’ve been waiting years! Years! Even just for some updates...

Also, whatever happened to the dude(s?) who made Bellflower? I don’t know if it completely deserved it, but that movie seemed to have a decent amount of buzz when it came out, and then I never heard about any follow-up projects.
Yeah I’ve been wondering this for a while too. I liked Bellflower and was very curious to see what they did next. They had a project together for a new film (but not from the same director - just the production company or whatever) but that never came out did it? I still follow them on Facebook and they’ve had no news of any films coming anytime soon. Wonder what happened.

I feel his “huge thing” could apply to any of his works if he’s still working in the same manner as his last two. The Hollywood production always sounded like an odd fit for him. Shame he wants to retire so early, I love both his films.

Also, whatever happened to the dude(s?) who made Bellflower? I don’t know if it completely deserved it, but that movie seemed to have a decent amount of buzz when it came out, and then I never heard about any follow-up projects.
I completely forgot about those guys. And from what I remember, that movie felt like something totally original (not so much in theme, but execution). Maybe they're out building some Mad Max style shit for their next feature.

I feel his “huge thing” could apply to any of his works if he’s still working in the same manner as his last two. The Hollywood production always sounded like an odd fit for him. Shame he wants to retire so early, I love both his films.
Can hardly blame him after the obstacles he’s faced with multiple unmade projects. But you’re right, his ideas have a weird tension where low budgets make them seem wildly inventive while also seeming a little too constrained to make good on their potential. Still a big fan of both, but you can’t help but wonder where they might have gone if funding wasn’t a concern.
I completely forgot about those guys. And from what I remember, that movie felt like something totally original (not so much in theme, but execution). Maybe they're out building some Mad Max style shit for their next feature.
Yeah, it looks like there’s one in post-production right now according to IMDb, but if I’m being honest the synopsis reads to me like this career might be taking a Richard Kelly-esque Donnie Darko —> Southland Tales trajectory.

Can hardly blame him after the obstacles he’s faced with multiple unmade projects. But you’re right, his ideas have a weird tension where low budgets make them seem wildly inventive while also seeming a little too constrained to make good on their potential. Still a big fan of both, but you can’t help but wonder where they might have gone if funding wasn’t a concern.

Yeah, agree with that. I think my only concern would be trying to trace where the Carruth magic lies, since he touched every aspect of the two films. To your point, I'd be worried his stories might lose their charm if they get pushed too far into the self indulgent direction, but it's crazy he can't even get a million dollar budget line for any of his stuff. Sadly I think he's also been the victim of timing. If Upstream Color was released today by a distributor with filmgoer equity like a24, I think it would have easily made over the .5M it pulled in, which would have lead to more opportunity for him, but that just didn't exist in '04 or '13. Hopefully some studio is wiling to take a chance on his third film.

Soooo...it turns out I don't have many digital codes like I thought I did. Apparently I've thrown a bunch away cause they're not in the cases. Also, it turns out Criterion doesn't give codes in theirs, which I didn't know till now (and I have quite a few Criterions). So...the only ones I have are kind of lame maybe.

Toy Story 4
E.T. (yeah, bought the blu-ray recently on sale cause I love it)
Jaws (ditto)

Oh well.

Back