Movies

My takeaway was that it was the West rewriting our own role in executing nuclear warfare on Japan, which I found too antithetical to the (rightfully critical) spirit of the original.
Not sure I got this sentiment out of it. I just appreciated it as a Blockbuster that did something different. Really focuses on scale, ambience, and pacing than outright popcorn spectacle. By the time the fight actually happens, it feels absolutely huge. David Erhlich has an interesting breakdown of it.

Is Godzilla 2014 not connected to the new movies anymore? I can't keep up with the MonsterVerse or whatever they're calling it these days. I could have sworn at one point they tried to say Pacific Rim was a part of it too.
On a technicality only at this point.

This post makes me curious to know: what's the worst movie that everyone has seen in the theater?

My answer is probably Slender Man, which I sometimes have to remind myself is indeed a real movie that I actually paid money to see on the big screen.
As middle schooler growing up in a small Midwestern town with not much to do, my friends and I figured out that our parents would let us go unsupervised to the local 2 screen movie theater on the weekends so we went almost every weekend regardless of what was playing. As a result I have seen lots of terrible 90s movies. The one that jumps out at me immediately is the Winona Ryder vehicle How To Make An American Quilt. It was just 4 sixth graders in the entire theater watching a Proto-Halmark film.

Yea, Anchorman 2 was at least sort of aware it was stupid and bad😉
I hadn’t seen it since the theater and it was on TNT a couple weeks ago and boy is it not very good and I absolutely adore the original. The”fight scene” at the very end of the film with Will Smith and Kanye is especially cringy now.

I hadn’t seen it since the theater and it was on TNT a couple weeks ago and boy is it not very good and I absolutely adore the original. The”fight scene” at the very end of the film with Will Smith and Kanye is especially cringy now.
Step Brothers is the last great movie Adam McKay has made.

My brother was working at a movie theater when the first Problem Child came out. Someone after the movie was over asked if he knew how to get in touch with the filmmakers because they wanted to start a fan club for the kid actor.
My brain originally read this as:

"...because they wanted to start a fight club for the kid actor."

Back