Movies

As an aside to my all-encompassing best of list, I put together an N&G Movies thread exclusive Top 10 list of great relatively under-the-radar films that may not have made the top of my list, but that I feel are totally worth seeking out (and streaming services that currently have them):
1. Wrestle (Kanopy/rent anywhere else)
2. Diamantino (Criterion Channel/rent on Amazon)
3. Greener Grass (rent anywhere)
4. Plus One (Hulu/Hoopla/rent anywhere else)
5. Harpoon (rent anywhere)
6. Monos (rent anywhere)
7. Family (Starz/rent anywhere else)
8. To Dust (Amazon Prime/Kanopy/Hoopla)
9. Little Monsters (Hulu)
10. Give Me Liberty (Rent starting 1/28)
I saw Wrestle on your list and was curious. I’ll have to check it out since it’s easily accessible.

I’ve been putting off watching Plus One but need to. I loved Maya Erskine in Pen15 (and everyone and everything about that show) and I’ve heard really good things about Plus One.

My year end list is still shifting and growing (but I usually don’t finalize it until Oscars Sunday anyway), but I think it would be cool to do a thread wide year end list to get an aggregate of what everyone dug. Probably something in the style of Woob’s music megathread he does every year.

My year end list is still shifting and growing (but I usually don’t finalize it until Oscars Sunday anyway), but I think it would be cool to do a thread wide year end list to get an aggregate of what everyone dug. Probably something in the style of Woob’s music megathread he does every year.
Another forum that I'm on does this, and we've found that a good deadline for it is the Friday before Oscar weekend. Gives people a chance to see more of the films from the end of the year that get a wider release in January and aligns with the biggest awards weekend.

Help. It sounds like I'm getting dragged to Cats today.

giphy.gif

If you thought Uncut Gems was a good time, I've heard that the uncut Good Time is a gem.

Thanks for the recommendation, I checked out both Good Time and Heaven Knows What in reverse release order, which I always find to be an interesting way to visit directors. Really love their work, a perfect balance of vérité and style.

Nothing extraordinarily embarrassing given awards at the golden globes this year, as opposed to last year, not that they really matter. Ricky was occasionally funny, but for the most part he just came across as a lazy asshole.

Thought Marriage Story had some good performances, but didn't connect with the story so ended with mixed feelings.

I found The Two Popes, historical inaccuracies aside, to be a much more enjoyable watch.

Cannot wait to see 1917 this week.

While sick, I finally had the time to just watch things. I mean, I spent a bit of that time catching up on NBA games. But I also finally watched Marriage Story. And I absolutely loved it. So much more than I thought I would. It is sad, it is a punch in the gut in places, but not as much as I was expecting. I also wasn't expecting so much good humor throughout. It's a really affecting, funny, well-rounded film. I've been a fan of Baumbach, but I must admit I haven't kept up with any of his work since Frances Ha (which I loved). Don't know why. Just never did. But anyway, Marriage Story made me realize he still has a lot of good stories to tell. So now I'm off to watch the films I've been neglecting of his over the years.

Anyway...Marriage Story, one of my favorite films of 2019.

While sick, I finally had the time to just watch things. I mean, I spent a bit of that time catching up on NBA games. But I also finally watched Marriage Story. And I absolutely loved it. So much more than I thought I would. It is sad, it is a punch in the gut in places, but not as much as I was expecting. I also wasn't expecting so much good humor throughout. It's a really affecting, funny, well-rounded film. I've been a fan of Baumbach, but I must admit I haven't kept up with any of his work since Frances Ha (which I loved). Don't know why. Just never did. But anyway, Marriage Story made me realize he still has a lot of good stories to tell. So now I'm off to watch the films I've been neglecting of his over the years.

Anyway...Marriage Story, one of my favorite films of 2019.
You haven't seen Mistress America? 👀

You haven't seen Mistress America? 👀
I have not. I didn’t even know about that one until last year...
until I watched Marriage Story last week, Mistress America was the only Baumbach I had seen 🙊

but I watched Frances Ha last night and was completely charmed and delighted. seeing as most of Baumbach’s movies are streaming in places, I may knock out more of his movies soon.

Watching Weathering with You tomorrow next week! I'm trying not to go in with high expectations.

until I watched Marriage Story last week, Mistress America was the only Baumbach I had seen 🙊

but I watched Frances Ha last night and was completely charmed and delighted. seeing as most of Baumbach’s movies are streaming in places, I may knock out more of his movies soon.

Frances Ha made me fall in love with Greta Gerwig. Lady Bird cemented it. Little Women constructed a shrine around it.

Last edited:
2001: A Space Odyssey in 70mm.
chef's kiss
Thinking about it, this movie is a very interesting pair with Ad Astra, another "what would space travel really look like" film. I'm still grappling whether 2001 is a fully optimistic movie (on one hand, the idea that we're not alone and that there's a greater cosmic plan for us is comforting, on the other, it kinda depicts space travel as dehumanizing, and HAL9000 is more and more tragic the more I see it, as his conflict revolves around becoming intelligent and "human," and how the paradox of human/thought feeling essentially breaks him), but it's interesting how 2001 hinges on us not being alone, while Ad Astra concludes that we have to value one another and the home we have here.

Watching Weathering with You tomorrow! I'm trying not to go in with high expectations.

Frances Ha made me fall in love with Greta Gerwig. Lady Bird cemented it. Little Women constructed a shrine around it.
yeah I loved Gerwig in Frances Ha and then really loved Lady Bird. Haven’t seen Little Women yet but since she’s directing I’m all in

edit: also how are you watching Weathering With You? I’ve been trying to keep up with its release here but haven’t seen anything yet

Back