Movies

Uncut Gems may go on my "that was great but I'm never watching that again" list. Felt like I'd slammed a greasy burger and sixteen ounces of espresso and spent two hours convincing myself I wasn't having a heart attack.
I don't know how I feel about the ending, though. I guess he just pushed another "bet" too far and it didn't pay off? It just felt so cathartic to have that final scene where he actually succeeded and took the pot, ran the table. The abruptness was the point, but it felt like we'd spent 130 minutes watching the guy lose and a victory seemed the more likely surprise.

I felt like the ending was inevitable and the only way out for Howard. It was certainly shocking at the time, butlooking back I can't say he didn't have it coming the whole time. He would've just moved on to the next big bet.

I love doing this. I don't have the position/power to just walk out midday without explanation, but every few months I'll take a half day due to "exhaustion" and catch a matinee. I'm the only one on my team here today and 90% of the rest of the department is out. I might dip out at lunch, hit up a dispensary, and do my duty as an American nerd and see the Star War.
I love doing this I work 1/2 late very day To get out early every Friday and catch a movie to start off the weekend

Uncut Gems may go on my "that was great but I'm never watching that again" list. Felt like I'd slammed a greasy burger and sixteen ounces of espresso and spent two hours convincing myself I wasn't having a heart attack.
I don't know how I feel about the ending, though. I guess he just pushed another "bet" too far and it didn't pay off? It just felt so cathartic to have that final scene where he actually succeeded and took the pot, ran the table. The abruptness was the point, but it felt like we'd spent 130 minutes watching the guy lose and a victory seemed the more likely surprise.
I felt like the ending was inevitable and the only way out for Howard. It was certainly shocking at the time, butlooking back I can't say he didn't have it coming the whole time. He would've just moved on to the next big bet.

So, Uncut Gems was a fantastic performance from Sandler but the movie as a whole fell flat for me. And that score...oof. I can’t remember the last time a score distracted from the film instead of enhance.

Parasite, on the other hand, was fantastic. Give it all the Oscars.

So, Uncut Gems was a fantastic performance from Sandler but the movie as a whole fell flat for me. And that score...oof. I can’t remember the last time a score distracted from the film instead of enhance.

Parasite, on the other hand, was fantastic. Give it all the Oscars.
Amazed at this take. One of my favorite scores all year. Oneohtrix Point Never fucking rules.

Thanks to Spirit Awards screeners, I watched my favorite film of 2020 today. Keep an eye out for The Climb. One of the coolest indie comedies I've seen in a while. Think it's coming out in late March, but thanks to wonky rules involving film festivals, was a Spirit Award nominee this year.

Friend of mine is a producer on it.

Considering Uncut Gems had only one speed (anxiety), I'm floored by the wild range of emotions Little Women brought out in me. Florence Pugh deserves Best Supporting Actress for this (with a nod to her starring turn in Midsommar), and Greta Gerwig will get robbed for the direction on this, which is not flashy but is utterly masterful. I'm already trying to figure out when I'll get a chance to go see it again.

Heading out to the ring in the new year by seeing a double feature at my local cinema, Jo Jo Rabbit and Parasite!

I've seen the trailer for Jo Jo Rabbit but I'm going into Parasite completely blind so I'm really looking forward to it!

I don't get out to the movies as much as I'd like but maybe that'll change in 2020?

Heading out to the ring in the new year by seeing a double feature at my local cinema, Jo Jo Rabbit and Parasite!

I've seen the trailer for Jo Jo Rabbit but I'm going into Parasite completely blind so I'm really looking forward to it!

I don't get out to the movies as much as I'd like but maybe that'll change in 2020?

Jo Jo might be my favorite movie of the year

Finally caught Uncut Gems myself, and I found it to be as great as everyone was hyping it up to be. Love the way it felt realistically chaotic in the approach to dialogue, which ratcheted up the tension without resorting to frenetic editing. This is my first Safdie film, and I guess I should check out more by them — does anyone have any recommendations of where to go next?

Finally caught Uncut Gems myself, and I found it to be as great as everyone was hyping it up to be. Love the way it felt realistically chaotic in the approach to dialogue, which ratcheted up the tension without resorting to frenetic editing. This is my first Safdie film, and I guess I should check out more by them — does anyone have any recommendations of where to go next?
If you thought Uncut Gems was a good time, I've heard that the uncut Good Time is a gem.

Watched Jojo Rabbit today, and yes, it's one of my favorites from last year. It so perfectly blends some very funny stuff with some incredibly dark and emotional stuff. I just loved it a lot.

Haven't seen it yet, but I LOVE LOVE LOVE Hunt for the Wilderpeople and What We Do In The Shadows, so I'm hoping to get to the indie theater here soon.

Back