Movies

I'm thinking tomorrow I'm gonna pull a Donald Draper and leave work early to have an affair and start my descent into alcoholism see a movie (I'm thinking Parasite).
I love doing this. I don't have the position/power to just walk out midday without explanation, but every few months I'll take a half day due to "exhaustion" and catch a matinee. I'm the only one on my team here today and 90% of the rest of the department is out. I might dip out at lunch, hit up a dispensary, and do my duty as an American nerd and see the Star War.

If anyone's a Malick fan, A Hidden Life is a good return to form if you weren't digging his post Tree of Life output. Somehow Malick has become slightly culturally relevant with the topic, which really wrestles with how important resistance to bigotry can be is if there is no immediate threat to you, or any platform for your sacrifice to stand on. I think this theme really carries the film more than his other work, as it feels genuine and unpretentious, and timely due to the rise of extreme right movements.

It's shot amazingly well but perhaps a little too long like most Malick-reinssance films (a few folks walked out of my screening), but it really comes together like his best work.

If anyone's a Malick fan, A Hidden Life is a good return to form if you weren't digging his post Tree of Life output. Somehow Malick has become slightly culturally relevant with the topic, which really wrestles with how important resistance to bigotry can be is if there is no immediate threat to you, or any platform for your sacrifice to stand on. I think this theme really carries the film more than his other work, as it feels genuine and unpretentious, and timely due to the rise of extreme right movements.

It's shot amazingly well but perhaps a little too long like most Malick-reinssance films (a few folks walked out of my screening), but it really comes together like his best work.
I’m hoping this makes it way into theaters here. I’m not a massive Malick fan, but I love Tree Of Life. And this movie looks gorgeous, so I would love to be able to see it on the big screen. Also I’ve read mixed things, which I’m just taking as being the norm for Malick. He’s not a perfect filmmaker, but when he hits, it really makes a mark on me.

I’m hoping this makes it way into theaters here. I’m not a massive Malick fan, but I love Tree Of Life. And this movie looks gorgeous, so I would love to be able to see it on the big screen. Also I’ve read mixed things, which I’m just taking as being the norm for Malick. He’s not a perfect filmmaker, but when he hits, it really makes a mark on me.

yeah think you hit the nail on the head, his post comeback style is just polarizing and all his films since have been in the same style. If you don’t dig Malick you won’t be swayed by this one. But if you do you’re in for a focused statement or purpose. It’s most reminiscent of Thin Red Line which also has a very clear ethos. I’ve been burnt on him since I saw To The Wonder, and this made me interested again. Totally worth it on the big screen for the photography.

I have now gone to see three movies this year where I left thinking “wow. that was a lot of movie.”

1) The Lighthouse
2) Star Wars Episode IX
and
3) Cats

I sincerely can’t wait for the tell-all doc or book where we’ll get to hear stories and anecdotes from the cast and crew explaining how they thought Cats would change cinema forever. Every single person is going for it here. Especially Sir Ian McKellen and Dame Judy Dench.

Too boring to be entertaining and waaaayyyy too sincere to at least be campy fun. It is truly a marvel and I’m simultaneously so happy and so disappointed that I just spent two hours in a theater on Christmas Eve watching Cats.

Thanks to Spirit Awards screeners, I watched my favorite film of 2020 today. Keep an eye out for The Climb. One of the coolest indie comedies I've seen in a while. Think it's coming out in late March, but thanks to wonky rules involving film festivals, was a Spirit Award nominee this year.

Uncut Gems may go on my "that was great but I'm never watching that again" list. Felt like I'd slammed a greasy burger and sixteen ounces of espresso and spent two hours convincing myself I wasn't having a heart attack.
I don't know how I feel about the ending, though. I guess he just pushed another "bet" too far and it didn't pay off? It just felt so cathartic to have that final scene where he actually succeeded and took the pot, ran the table. The abruptness was the point, but it felt like we'd spent 130 minutes watching the guy lose and a victory seemed the more likely surprise.

Back