Movies

I think Taika blew up too quick and got too cute for his own good, and that kind of cute humor has fallen out of fashion of late. People will come back around on him, but he’s just going through the typical celebrity trajectory (e.g. Nicolas Cage, Guy Fieri, Jeff Goldblum) where you love him, hate him, love him again.

Best thing that’s come from him IMO is What We Do in the Shadows (both movie and show)

I think Taika blew up too quick and got too cute for his own good, and that kind of cute humor has fallen out of fashion of late. People will come back around on him, but he’s just going through the typical celebrity trajectory (e.g. Nicolas Cage, Guy Fieri, Jeff Goldblum) where you love him, hate him, love him again.

Best thing that’s come from him IMO is What We Do in the Shadows (both movie and show)
I think both Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople are terrific and demonstrate a pretty great command of tone. Never watched Jojo Rabbit, but I know it’s got it’s fans and detractors.

I’ve been meaning to watch Reservation Dogs.

It’s fantastic, though I will say Waititi’s involvement is negligible. It was one of those shows where having his name attached as an EP helped get the series green lit but the show is native creator Sterlin Harjo baby. He’s the creative force behind the shows success.

It’s fantastic, though I will say Waititi’s involvement is negligible. It was one of those shows where having his name attached as an EP helped get the series green lit but the show is native creator Sterlin Harjo baby. He’s the creative force behind the shows success.
Nice! One thing I really appreciate about Waititi’s early work is how he casually but insistently highlights Māori talent and culture. Reservation Dogs feels like it springs from the same mindset, so I’m glad to see he put some weight behind it.

I think both Boy and Hunt for the Wilderpeople are terrific and demonstrate a pretty great command of tone. Never watched Jojo Rabbit, but I know it’s got it’s fans and detractors.

Hunt for the Wilderpeople is my favorite of his.

Yea maybe this, I don't dislike the guy but I think p much everything he's done since Hunt For the Wilderpeople has been pretty bad and annoying (including Jojo Rabbit, the acclaim was bizarre to me).

Still think WWDitS is great, and if he grounded his work a bit more, people would come back around.

Finally got around to Infinity Pool (uncut) last night via Neon's direct VOD rental. Yet another big win for Brandon Cronenberg and the Cronenberg family film dynasty in my book. (Looking forward to Caitlin Cronenberg's feature debut soon!)

Infinity Pool swaddles Brandon's burgeoning conceptual chops in what feels like his most accessible presentation yet (graphic content aside, of course). This movie is so much fun with great pacing, a sharp script, and fantastic performances by Mia Goth and Alexander Skarsgard.

I avoided trailers and promos, and watching them now, I feel it's better to not know as much going in, so I'm not going to link one here, but if you love conceptual sci-fi, body horror, and explosive character dynamics, this one's def worth your time and your dollars.

infinity1-mgvl-articleLarge.jpg

Finally got around to Infinity Pool (uncut) last night via Neon's direct VOD rental. Yet another big win for Brandon Cronenberg and the Cronenberg family film dynasty in my book. (Looking forward to Caitlin Cronenberg's feature debut soon!)

Infinity Pool swaddles Brandon's burgeoning conceptual chops in what feels like his most accessible presentation yet (graphic content aside, of course). This movie is so much fun with great pacing, a sharp script, and fantastic performances by Mia Goth and Alexander Skarsgard.

I avoided trailers and promos, and watching them now, I feel it's better to not know as much going in, so I'm not going to link one here, but if you love conceptual sci-fi, body horror, and explosive character dynamics, this one's def worth your time and your dollars.

infinity1-mgvl-articleLarge.jpg
I can't wait to watch this. I've tried several times, but the wife keeps vetoing it. So next time she crashes early I'm going for it.

I love Everything Everywhere All At Once, and although so many signs indicate it winning Best Picture I just have this strong feeling that's not going to happen. That's my big prediction for tonight. I do want Michelle Yeoh and Stephanie Hsu to win their categories so badly though.
Everything Everywhere is the 5th film in history to sweep the major guild awards (DGA, PGA, WGA and SAG). Every other film to do so won best picture. There's no indicator for what's even in 2nd place. It's winning. I'm more excited to see how the acting categories turn out!

Making more headway on my foreign language movie backlog with my (informal) Subtitled Saturdays and Sundays initiative.

This weekend has been pretty consistently top-tier with Polish possession/nunsploitation film Mother Joan of the Angels, Jean Rollin's French countryside zombie epidemic The Grapes of Death, Japanese ghostly revenge in Kuroneko, but the highlight may be the utterly absurdist Czech New Wave rom-com/satire The Murder of Mr. Devil. Fantastic art direction, hilarious escalation, and a delightfully deadpan delivery.

Everything Everywhere is the 5th film in history to sweep the major guild awards (DGA, PGA, WGA and SAG). Every other film to do so won best picture. There's no indicator for what's even in 2nd place. It's winning. I'm more excited to see how the acting categories turn out!

I think Banshees won the Golden Globe (though I might be wrong)

I intended to get to more of the BP nominees before the ceremony but only ended up seeing a little over half. Of the ones I saw, this would probably be my ranking:
  1. Everything Everywhere All at Once
  2. The Banshees of Inisherin
  3. Top Gun: Maverick
  4. Elvis
  5. Tár
  6. Triangle of Sadness
But honestly I'd be fine with any of these movies winning. The only one I didn't really care for was Triangle of Sadness, which made the mistake of being about 40 minutes too long, but even it had its moments.

My left-field prediction is that The Way of Water will win Best Picture. Not saying I *want* that to happen, just leaving that here in case I end up being right.

Back