Movies

Saw Scream 6 earlier today. I’ll put everything in spoilers but won’t actually spoil anything

The hype for 5 seemed so strong that it pumped me up and ultimately left me pretty disappointed. I love the franchise, even when it’s messy. But 5 very clearly felt like not as good writing / directing. So for 6 the hype got me excited again but I went in with more muted expectations. I have to sit with it a bit, but it’s definitely a step up from 5.

The opening sequence is the best it’s been since 3, the kills are some of the most brutal they’ve ever done, and the final twist is something I genuinely didn’t expect. And yet I can’t say I loved it completely. It’s more fun than 5, and the movement of the story is pretty fast and engaging. But there are some things I thought were kind of dumb. And I can’t help but still feel the main characters are kind of flat. They’re all just fine for the story but no one stands out. Which is how I felt about 5, so no major change there.

The 3D was ugh not good. I’m not excited about that being back. But it was what was available. It only really added to two shots that were cool. As far as a franchise goes, Scream still beats all for me. I’m not totally loving the new ones, but I’ll still check out 7 if/when it happens.

65 looked interesting to me, sad to hear it's not getting great reviews.

I've been trying to check some of the Oscar nominees off my list before the ceremony. Watched Everything Everywhere All At Once and Puss in Boots: The Last Wish today, both of which were absolutely delightful.

I was hoping it would be dumb fun, but it feels ineptly made at the most basic level. Driver does what he can but he’s really given nothing to work with.

It does have one of the most unintentionally comedic title drops of all time, though.
There’s actually a series of narrative subtitles in the first third of the movie that are so clangingly bad that the closest comparison I can draw is the introductory Stonehenge monologue in Spinal Tap.

Back