Movies

Really enjoyed Everything Everywhere All At Once. There's so much going on in the movie but one thing I love about it is all the homage scenes to other movies throughout. Especially the Matrix, but also Ratatouille, In the Mood For Love, and that hilarious 2001 Space Odyssey scene. It really has elements of different genres of movies and it does it all well too.

Still wrapping my head around Three Thousand Years of Longing after seeing it last night. At points I loved how goofy it was, at others it was too much for me. Alternately, I was charmed and flummoxed by the "bottled" (ha ha) nature of a story which mainly takes place in a hotel room. I'm contradictions all the way down: I can understand why the studio quietly put it out, but I also think they should've advertised the hell out of The Follow-Up to Fury Road, made more money, and let the people who are not down to djinn be mad.

Ultimately I'm really glad I saw it on the big screen. It was a movie with a unique voice and some confounding plotting, and a bizarre argument for just cg-ing the shit out of everything. At one point two characters are sticking their heads out the windows of a brick building, and it's clear everything but the actors (and maybe the window frames) are composited in. Rather than just running out to any nondescript building, or even just getting stock footage or still imagery of a building, they hired someone to come up with the wall and hedge from assets and gin up a brick building with two windows. I know this sort of thing is a whole lot more common and subtle than we're aware of, but this instance was so unreal-looking it felt intentional. The experience reminded me of Sin City, another movie just so completely uncaring as to whether anything depicted resembled reality.

Still wrapping my head around Three Thousand Years of Longing after seeing it last night. At points I loved how goofy it was, at others it was too much for me. Alternately, I was charmed and flummoxed by the "bottled" (ha ha) nature of a story which mainly takes place in a hotel room. I'm contradictions all the way down: I can understand why the studio quietly put it out, but I also think they should've advertised the hell out of The Follow-Up to Fury Road, made more money, and let the people who are not down to djinn be mad.

Ultimately I'm really glad I saw it on the big screen. It was a movie with a unique voice and some confounding plotting, and a bizarre argument for just cg-ing the shit out of everything. At one point two characters are sticking their heads out the windows of a brick building, and it's clear everything but the actors (and maybe the window frames) are composited in. Rather than just running out to any nondescript building, or even just getting stock footage or still imagery of a building, they hired someone to come up with the wall and hedge from assets and gin up a brick building with two windows. I know this sort of thing is a whole lot more common and subtle than we're aware of, but this instance was so unreal-looking it felt intentional. The experience reminded me of Sin City, another movie just so completely uncaring as to whether anything depicted resembled reality.
It was super-duper a COVID project. Mostly they were able to work around the restrictions thanks to the fantastical and isolated nature of much of the film, but sometimes it’s a little blatant.

Nice to know the Keeper of the Seeds is still out there and kicking.

It was super-duper a COVID project. Mostly they were able to work around the restrictions thanks to the fantastical and isolated nature of much of the film, but sometimes it’s a little blatant.

Nice to know the Keeper of the Seeds is still out there and kicking.
That makes a whole lot of sense. I mostly took it to be a feature over a bug. This is the first movie I can think of I’ve seen with face masks.

That makes a whole lot of sense. I mostly took it to be a feature over a bug. This is the first movie I can think of I’ve seen with face masks.
I think they've had the script since, like, the 90s, and the whole thing was heavily storyboarded, so from what I've read they were able to work around COVID restrictions more easily than one might expect. It does add to the film's unreal quality.

I'd really like to see it again sometime. The frequent goofiness felt...I don't know, honest, somehow? It felt true to the experience of having someone tell you a long story.

Checked out the original Taking of Pelham 123. Great freakin' movie.

As someone who's had their fair share of public transit woes since the onset of Covid, I mildly sympathize with "Mr. Green's" desire for revenge.

MV5BMjE1NDY0NDk3Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTAzMTM3NA@@._V1_.jpg

Last edited:
OK i checked out Morbius because it landed on Netflix and i gotta say.... it wasn't that bad.
The way everyone's talking about it, it's like a travesty but I thought that it's at least watchable. I wouldn't' put it up anywhere against movies from the MCU but I actually liked it better than the Venoms & most of the current DC universe stuff.

I actually liked it better than the Venoms & most of the current DC universe stuff.

I can't speak to the Venoms, having not seen them, but I liked tearing my meniscus, fracturing and bruising my ribs and having a severe chest infection (not all at the same time!!) better than nearly all of the current DC universe stuff.

I can't speak to the Venoms, having not seen them, but I liked tearing my meniscus, fracturing and bruising my ribs and having a severe chest infection (not all at the same time!!) better than nearly all of the current DC universe stuff.
Laughing, but I hope you are ok!!

(Hope Birds of Prey was an exception for you.)

Laughing, but I hope you are ok!!

(Hope Birds of Prey was an exception for you.)

Oh I'm fine presently! Those are all terrible things that have happened over the last 15 years or so that I enjoyed more than the movies is all ;)

Haven't seen Birds of Prey yet. Mostly the fault of all the other movies!

I saw Top Gun: Maverick today and it was better than it had any right to be. The fast jets sequences were expectedly awesome but I was amazed at how close to the edge of absurd the plot got without going completely over the bend.

it would have made for a better story overall had Maverick died in the end but then you wouldn’t have the waaaayyy cooler ending of Mac and Rooster taking out 2 modern jet fighters with a 40 year old enemy F-14. Also, I was unaware of Kilmer’s health issues I am glad they were able to incorporate his real life cancer issue into the story in a compelling and heartfelt way.

I saw Top Gun: Maverick today and it was better than it had any right to be. The fast jets sequences were expectedly awesome but I was amazed at how close to the edge of absurd the plot got without going completely over the bend.

it would have made for a better story overall had Maverick died in the end but then you wouldn’t have the waaaayyy cooler ending of Mac and Rooster taking out 2 modern jet fighters with a 40 year old enemy F-14. Also, I was unaware of Kilmer’s health issues I am glad they were able to incorporate his real life cancer issue into the story in a compelling and heartfelt way.
I was hoping they would grab the bull by the horns and at least nod to the homoerotic legacy of the first film in some way, but it felt like they tried to be really careful to avoid anything like that this time around.

The criminally underseen masterpiece Petite Maman is finally on Hulu. I implore everybody to watch, it's probably going to end up my favorite movie of the year
I really want to see this but I refuse to pay Disney $20 for a commercial-free stream

To specify, I mostly mean the Ben Affeck, Gal Gadot, Jason Momoa, Henry Cavill movies. I actually liked the new suicide squad , birds of prey and the new Batman!

Back