Movies

Has anyone else seen The Night House on HBO Max? I went in blind and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it. Highly recommended for the upcoming spooky season.
Loved it! But you already knew that from Letterboxd. It's a great time to give it a whirl because it's allegedly an attempted spiritual spinoff of Hellraiser, and the team went on to do the new Hellraiser reboot on Hulu that finally got its release date of October 7 announced today!

Speaking of Letterboxd, the Hooptober horror challenge list should be posted by Friday!

Finally got around to The Black Phone since it's on Peacock. Super, super solid! Really enjoyed it.

Ethan Hawke is phenomenal as the Grabber. This movie gave me far more of what I originally wanted from Boy Behind the Door, which did not ultimately deliver what I'd expected based on others' raving impressions. The Black Phone would make a fun double feature with People Under the Stairs for an abductees-fight-back themed night.

If you have Xfinity, don't forget to check your Xfinity Rewards page. There's a BOGO offer for tickets to see Nope in theaters that I think expires soon (redemption to your account expires sooner but the promo code is then good to use through Sep. 1).

There's also a reward for a $1 movie rental through Xfinity. I redeemed the reward but haven't been able to get VOD to work on the Xfinity Stream app. Might have to try through my Flex device, but I worry we may not be able to rent since we only have Xfinity internet and not TV. Will see soon though.

If you have Xfinity, don't forget to check your Xfinity Rewards page. There's a BOGO offer for tickets to see Nope in theaters that I think expires soon (redemption to your account expires sooner but the promo code is then good to use through Sep. 1).

There's also a reward for a $1 movie rental through Xfinity. I redeemed the reward but haven't been able to get VOD to work on the Xfinity Stream app. Might have to try through my Flex device, but I worry we may not be able to rent since we only have Xfinity internet and not TV. Will see soon though.
Thanks for the reminder - I don't have the Nope offer but did enter for free Niners tickets!

While I'm in movie gush mode, heads up that acclaimed recent thriller Watcher comes to Shudder tomorrow.

Also, I'm still super excited Hulu's Hellraiser reboot finally got a date for Oct. 7! It's got a lot of things going for it: Barker as producer, Bruckner (The Ritual, The Night House) directing, the writing team behind The Night House and Super Dark Times, Jamie Clayton from Sense8 as the Hell Priest (Pinhead). Y'all payin' attention yet??!!

Just sitting down in the auditorium for a one-night screening of Memoria. The concessions line was labyrinthine and the seats are PACKED. Cinema is back, baby!

I still don’t know what I think about Memoria, but the world certainly felt different for a few days afterward.
I liked it! It was an at-times hypnotic experience, not unlike Stalker; at one point I felt like the floor dropped out under me. The crowd, not so thrilled! Lobby chatter seemed muted, frustrated, and dismissive. I can understand why in some ways, but I really loved the dreamy state it put me in.

I liked it! It was an at-times hypnotic experience, not unlike Stalker; at one point I felt like the floor dropped out under me. The crowd, not so thrilled! Lobby chatter seemed muted, frustrated, and dismissive. I can understand why in some ways, but I really loved the dreamy state it put me in.
Having just watched Stalker again, I can see what you’re saying. The super-long takes lull you into a state where you begin to hyperfocus on elements, textures, sounds. I think Stalker’s lovely soliloquies and theatre-like staging give me something more to latch onto, though. Memoria is sensory hypnosis, but my mind kept trying to find a structured narrative to latch onto, and the movie is completely disinterested in that.

Though, perhaps it’s the fact that the movie feints in the direction of having a Plot that threw me off.

Having just watched Stalker again, I can see what you’re saying. The super-long takes lull you into a state where you begin to hyperfocus on elements, textures, sounds. I think Stalker’s lovely soliloquies and theatre-like staging give me something more to latch onto, though. Memoria is sensory hypnosis, but my mind kept trying to find a structured narrative to latch onto, and the movie is completely disinterested in that.

Though, perhaps it’s the fact that the movie feints in the direction of having a Plot that threw me off.
Yeah; the spaceship takes off right when the movie reaches its most abstract, emotional peak. I felt like someone was playing a prank on me.

Semi-related to Memoria: when the movie ended, a couple people applauded, and several others audibly groaned or hissed. The person behind me grunted “yeah, like Tilda Swinton is here in the audience to hear your appreciation.” There’s a recent insurance commercial where someone shuns a movie-clapper as well. Is movie clapping a faux pas these days? I’ll clap, but usually if several others are as well.

Semi-related to Memoria: when the movie ended, a couple people applauded, and several others audibly groaned or hissed. The person behind me grunted “yeah, like Tilda Swinton is here in the audience to hear your appreciation.” There’s a recent insurance commercial where someone shuns a movie-clapper as well. Is movie clapping a faux pas these days? I’ll clap, but usually if several others are as well.
I've seen it mocked online, but never heard anyone complain about it in person. Trends and such though. People like to complain about harmless things.

Hooptober challenge rules are up on Letterboxd! Currently building my list in private mode, but will share when it's ready. The watchathon begins September 15!

Anyone else partaking? This will be my third year.

Rules/criteria set by the creator/host are here:

Last edited:
Back