Movies

Trying to cram in some films before ditching my MUBI subscription - watched the Jean-Luc Godard film, “Pierrot le Fou,” and it really wasn’t my thing (hated the dialogue and how everyone seemed to be talking past each other and also the characters were all pretty terrible), but I’m enjoying what I’ve seen so far from another French director, Guy Gilles.

Anyone have thoughts on Mubi, Guy Gilles, or other Godard films that I might enjoy more [I haven’t seen any of his others]?
I also found Pierrot le Fou hard to get into. We had to watch it over two days as it's just A LOT.

Breathless is his debut and one of the most important films ever made. At under 90 minutes it's not a big ask and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It still has that chaotic energy of Pierrot but it's just not so extra. I also saw Alphaville which is a fun "sci-fi" noir that I think most anyone can enjoy.

Watched a movie from this year on Mubi called Azor that has real John le Carre vibes if you're into that. It's a film about Swiss bankers in Argentina during the rise of the dictatorship.

Just signed back up with the $1 for 3 months deal they have going—guess my earlier trial/promo doesn't preclude me from another promo. (Yay!)

No thoughts on GG or Godard, but don't overlook the Nils Frahm, Max Richter and Ryuichi Sakamoto concerts/docs (esp. Sakamoto)!

Had some minor frustrations with the streaming quality (buffering, stuttering and stream errors) in my first trial, but for $1 I'm back in for at least the new Kiyoshi Kurosawa, Air Conditioner, and Vampir (video essay/doc about Jess Franco's Count Dracula). Used my first trial to fill in a few Jodorowsky gaps, though they're no longer available.
@Ericj32 Oh yeah also that new Kurosawa Wife of a Spy is why we got the Mubi trial. That movie is legit great. Don't want to say too much about it but it's about a Japanese businesses man in Japan in the years leading up to WW2. Lots of great social and political commentary on both Japan historically and the world we live in today.

I also found Pierrot le Fou hard to get into. We had to watch it over two days as it's just A LOT.

Breathless is his debut and one of the most important films ever made. At under 90 minutes it's not a big ask and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It still has that chaotic energy of Pierrot but it's just not so extra. I also saw Alphaville which is a fun "sci-fi" noir that I think most anyone can enjoy.

Watched a movie from this year on Mubi called Azor that has real John le Carre vibes if you're into that. It's a film about Swiss bankers in Argentina during the rise of the dictatorship.
I just watched Azor a couple days ago, haha. It was really pretty and I loved how mysterious it was but I thought the ending didn’t quite live up to what they built it up to be.

Btw, Pierrot Le Fou is the equivalent of a hand grenade. Messy, a document of the political ideology of its era, but it is still potent. A personal fav of mine (although Jesus, that yellow face sequence is criiiinge).
Speaking of that...I just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time last night. Mickey Rooney..sheesh..other than that a great movie.

Also on topic of Godard, I saw Breathless not too long ago, and Vivre Sa Vie I'll be watching very soon as I make my way to 1962 with my movie watching in chronological order.

Speaking of that...I just watched Breakfast at Tiffany's for the first time last night. Mickey Rooney..sheesh..other than that a great movie.
Also on topic of Godard, I saw Breathless not too long ago, and Vivre Sa Vie I'll be watching very soon as I make my way to 1962 with my movie watching chronological order.
I generally like Breakfast at Tiffany’s. It’s nimble and sweet but only retains a bit of the cynicism of the novela.

I mean, I recommend all Godard. That’s a man who has managed to continue making provocative work that enriches the language of cinema. His essay films especially. Watch his documentary on the Sympathy for the Devil recording sessions or Goodbye to Language or his increasingly more Marxist works in the aftermath of Pierrot Le Fou.

Back