Movies

Watched “The Power Of The Dog” on Netflix last night. Seems like it is getting pretty good reviews, but I found it to be an extremely tedious watch. Great cast, but pretty disappointed with the storytelling.
I agree with you. I love movies where 'nothing happens' but the more I think about it the less I like this movie. The plot contrivances don't actually make any sense. And if you rely on subtle "show don't tell" it better actually work. Best performance by Cumberbatch I've seen though.

I agree with you. I love movies where 'nothing happens' but the more I think about it the less I like this movie. The plot contrivances don't actually make any sense. And if you rely on subtle "show don't tell" it better actually work. Best performance by Cumberbatch I've seen though.
I'm curious which plot points you didn't think worked. By the time it was all over, I had a pretty clear picture of everything. Like the movie had given me enough to understand it all. I get it's probably quieter than a lot of similar dramas, and that's probably not everybody's bag, but this is a movie that has enough substance that I actually enjoy MORE the more I think about it.

I haven’t seen it yet but…
I have now heard two interviews/reviews about it on NPR and in both they stated something along the lines that Cumberbach’s character is a closest homosexual say something along the lines of “without out giving too much away Cumberbach’s charter is playing a role or hiding his true self”. Something along those lines and while I don’t really care about spoilers. I just felt like they did a really shitty job of giving that away especially if that is a big part of the movie. More of a criticism of NPR than a critique on this movie but it made me roll my eyes AND THEY DID IT TWICE!

Last edited:
I'm curious which plot points you didn't think worked. By the time it was all over, I had a pretty clear picture of everything. Like the movie had given me enough to understand it all. I get it's probably quieter than a lot of similar dramas, and that's probably not everybody's bag, but this is a movie that has enough substance that I actually enjoy MORE the more I think about it.
It's more about the order of things and how intentional actions were. Without spoiling it for others (@TenderLovingKiller® that is a HORRIBLE spoiler WTF NPR. This is why I don't consume any content about movies I am interested in seeing) the protagonist seemed to luck into his big plan at the end, and had multiple random/lucky things happen that allowed him to act. I don't really want to argue about it it just didn't work for me. Glad it worked for you.

I watched that new doomsday Christmas movie, Silent Night, last night. It's with Keira Knightley and a couple other recognizable faces. It's a dark comedy of sorts. It really hit me in the gut quite unexpectedly since I knew nothing about it going in. I'd recommend that approach. And although it has funny moments, it is far more emotional than I would have expected. Probably not for everyone, but I plan on watching it again soon. It's in theaters and streaming on AMC+

I watched that new doomsday Christmas movie, Silent Night, last night. It's with Keira Knightley and a couple other recognizable faces. It's a dark comedy of sorts. It really hit me in the gut quite unexpectedly since I knew nothing about it going in. I'd recommend that approach. And although it has funny moments, it is far more emotional than I would have expected. Probably not for everyone, but I plan on watching it again soon. It's in theaters and streaming on AMC+
I liked this one as well.

Is Last Night in Soho worth picking up for $19.99 or should I wait and see if it lands on HBO MAX, Starz or Showtime.

Edit:

Nevermind. It's not buy for $19.99. It's "In theaters now, rent it for $19.99". That movie must have been delayed. I thought it was supposed to be in the theaters a long while ago.

Back