MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I have to unfortunately report that my static issue (see previous posts) is not resolved. I got into the habit of lowering the volume all the way down before changing the record, and I guess that was the reason I wasn't hearing the static pops (very faint with volume down). The issue is still the same: one pop putting a new record on the platter, 3-4 in rapid succession when taking it off at the end of play. they seem to have origin in the spindle. No static during play though. Can't figure it out, it's driving me crazy :oops:

One thing I noticed recently, may be totally unrelated, is that there's no hum or buzz whatsoever connecting or disconnecting the ground cable (Audioquest GroundGoody). Like it wasn't there. Isn't that odd?
Just checking back on your static issue , have you been able to resolve it yet , or reduce it down to a level you can live with .

Just checking back on your static issue , have you been able to resolve it yet , or reduce it down to a level you can live with .
Unfortunately the issue persists.
I tried different cables, power cord (not that I thought it made a difference, but at this point...) play records with and withought record weight (tried different ones), with no results. As soon as the record is within a couple of inches from the platter (on or off) the static shocks kick in.
They come loud through the speakers, if I turn the volume down I can barely hear them.
The only few times it doesn't happen is if I clean the record on the platter with a wet spray before play. But that is messy and time consuming, since I have to spray, wipe, and make sure the record is completely dry. And not always successful in eliminating static.

So turning the volume all the way down became part of my routine, and it's not a bad practice after all.
Loving the table regardless.

Dunno what thread to put this in, since it was my StudioDeck it's going here. Just had my first ever experience of rambunctious cat jumps on table while record is playing. I take my eye off him for one second, and I hear this massive pitch fluctuation. I think feeling a spinning platter under him startled him too cause his eyes went 👀‼️hahaha. All appears well, and it was Stanley Turrentine - Mr Natural, which is not one of my favorite Tone Poets 😂. Getting a cleaning now, that's for sure! A first!

Dunno what thread to put this in, since it was my StudioDeck it's going here. Just had my first ever experience of rambunctious cat jumps on table while record is playing. I take my eye off him for one second, and I hear this massive pitch fluctuation. I think feeling a spinning platter under him startled him too cause his eyes went 👀‼️hahaha. All appears well, and it was Stanley Turrentine - Mr Natural, which is not one of my favorite Tone Poets 😂. Getting a cleaning now, that's for sure! A first!
Maybe it was the static attraction .

Unfortunately the issue persists.
I tried different cables, power cord (not that I thought it made a difference, but at this point...) play records with and withought record weight (tried different ones), with no results. As soon as the record is within a couple of inches from the platter (on or off) the static shocks kick in.
They come loud through the speakers, if I turn the volume down I can barely hear them.
The only few times it doesn't happen is if I clean the record on the platter with a wet spray before play. But that is messy and time consuming, since I have to spray, wipe, and make sure the record is completely dry. And not always successful in eliminating static.

So turning the volume all the way down became part of my routine, and it's not a bad practice after all.
Loving the table regardless.
I am really sorry to hear this. Have you tried a humidifier? Static has a difficult time building up if there’s some moisture in the air.

I run a small humidifier in the same room as the turntable. Originally bought it for precisely this reason. I run it all winter, although I turn it off when I run the stereo. Has taken care of the problem 100%. I keep a small humidistat in there to check, and as long as it stays about about 35% or over I have no problems. I use a carbon fiber brush beforehand, and have had no issues since I got the humidifier.

I run a small humidifier in the same room as the turntable. Originally bought it for precisely this reason. I run it all winter, although I turn it off when I run the stereo. Has taken care of the problem 100%. I keep a small humidistat in there to check, and as long as it stays about about 35% or over I have no problems. I use a carbon fiber brush beforehand, and have had no issues since I got the humidifier.
I do the same think , also using a small humidistat in about the same level as you note . I have rug floors and without the humidifier running in the winter its shock city . This winter, not some much, as the temps have been warmer then normal and lots of rain and not snow .

Or a Technics G for over $1500 less.

The simplicity and ease of ownership is very hard to turn down
I did exactly this yesterday, a 1210G. It's on backorder, but got a decent deal.

If the Master was priced in the $4-5k range it would have given me pause, $6K seems a bit much. The new arm looks night and day better than the SD/UD arm. I do look forward to these landing in some of your hands and the real world reviews, especially the new head shell and redesigned VTA adjuster, two of the biggest pet peeves for me on the SD.

I did exactly this yesterday, a 1210G. It's on backorder, but got a decent deal.

If the Master was priced in the $4-5k range it would have given me pause, $6K seems a bit much. The new arm looks night and day better than the SD/UD arm. I do look forward to these landing in some of your hands and the real world reviews, especially the new head shell and redesigned VTA adjuster, two of the biggest pet peeves for me on the SD.
Cost of the 1210G in Canada is 6K Canadian , too rich for me .

I'd love to compare the Master Deck to the 1210G, but from a price stand point and owning one, the G is tough to compete with. It may be worth the extra scratch, who knows, I always have a soft spot for my UltraDeck and do miss it at times, but there are 0 negatives with the G beyond if the look just isn't your thing.

You should be thrilled with the new deck, Gratz!

I'd love to compare the Master Deck to the 1210G, but from a price stand point and owning one, the G is tough to compete with. It may be worth the extra scratch, who knows, I always have a soft spot for my UltraDeck and do miss it at times, but there are 0 negatives with the G beyond if the look just isn't your thing.

You should be thrilled with the new deck, Gratz!
I hate to admit it but the DJ look of the Technics tables is not appealing to me. I would seriously entertain a minimalist version of the 1200GR or 1200G. Something like the SL100 with premium parts.

I hate to admit it but the DJ look of the Technics tables is not appealing to me. I would seriously entertain a minimalist version of the 1200GR or 1200G. Something like the SL100 with premium parts.
I’m not afraid to say it. I think they are cool from a nostalgia perspective. However, I do not like the aesthetics.

new member and just finished reading through all the previous post. My setup is as listed .
Mofi fender precision deck w/ master tracker cart
Rega Eleicit mk5
JBL L5’s with updated xovers
SVS SB2000 Pro Subwoofer
It sounds wonderful and I have had know problems other than the rpm app shows the speed and wow and flutter off a little bit. it is dead silent between tracks. I have been contemplating selling the precision deck for a rega p8 only because I have a habit of buying and selling just to try different equipment .

Back