MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

I do get a crazy rumble between songs if I turn the volume up more than halfway. I thought maybe my TT was to close to the left speaker because the TT use to set all the to the left of the cabinet rite next to the speaker. I moved it to the middle of the cabinet hoping it would quit but that’s not the case it still gets the rumble but I don’t hear during songs like it did before I moved the table . Now I’m wondering if that ash wood is not producing resonance into the arm and needle causing the problem. So now I’m debating whether maybe I should try to sell this turntable and try something else. Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly!!!
I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Check your spindle lubrication?

Any hypothetical issues with resonance would be more likely to emerge during loud playback, not in between songs.

Sometimes can just be the record. I have a few records that sound like they're in a stone grinder, between songs. Rest of them are dead quiet.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion. Check your spindle lubrication?

Any hypothetical issues with resonance would be more likely to emerge during loud playback, not in between songs.
Spindle lubrication is fine. I was thinking the same thing about the noise between sounds it is strange that it shows up between songs .

I do get a crazy rumble between songs if I turn the volume up more than halfway. I thought maybe my TT was to close to the left speaker because the TT use to set all the to the left of the cabinet rite next to the speaker. I moved it to the middle of the cabinet hoping it would quit but that’s not the case it still gets the rumble but I don’t hear during songs like it did before I moved the table . Now I’m wondering if that ash wood is not producing resonance into the arm and needle causing the problem. So now I’m debating whether maybe I should try to sell this turntable and try something else. Any thoughts would be appreciated greatly!!!
My suggestion, take a deep breath and enjoy it for awhile before doing anything . In my system, my volume never gets past 1/8th due to the nature of the system . At a volume level my wife allows I do not hear any rumble between songs , but again I do not tend to crank the system up to much . You know that saying about a happy wife .

If you’re enjoying the MoFi deck stick with it. I gotta think diminishing returns is huge for any TT after this price point.

Based on my recent testing and upgrade experience, I’d focus on carts and phono pre for improving/changing TT sound.

Quality amplification is also more important to me now. Adding the Kinki EX-M1+ to my setup late last year was a game changer. Everything I hook up to it sounds better.
In my system I upgraded all the interconnects , power cables , wall sockets and isolation first and found a major improvement . I decided to stop at that point as the ears are getting older .

Well it is looking like it was that album because I am rocking some Def Leppard Pyromamia and it is just fine no rumble or
Noise at all between songs .
Tinker first , sell last . Like Renpar61 suggested , I also have some records that have a lot of noise no matter how clean . Compilations can be notorious for varying sound quality related to recording source . Oh the joy of listening.

When I was a young fellow I was into car audio and I don’t mean just a lot of bass . I’ve had simple systems up to super high dollar sq systems and I was never satisfied and after awhile of listening I was always chasing that little extra bit of sound . If I had all the money i wasted back then I could buy any home audio component you could dream of. I only thought car audio was expensive back then compared to the cash you can drop in a second on quality home audio.

Well it is looking like it was that album because I am rocking some Def Leppard Pyromamia and it is just fine no rumble or
Noise at all between songs .
Do you have a subsonic filter on your phono pre? This could be a culprit.

Are the woofers on your speakers moving excessively when you hear this rumble sound?

Do you have a subsonic filter on your phono pre? This could be a culprit.

Are the woofers on your speakers moving excessively when you hear this rumble sound?
I use the phono that is built into my rega elicit mk5 integrated amplifier. I had bought the mofi phono stage but couldn’t really tell any difference between the mofi and the onboard phono on my amp so I sent it back untill I can afford a really nice phono stage . I have been looking at the Sutherland insight , I hear they pair really nice with the mofi turntables.
I wasn’t even paying attention to the speakers when that was going on. 🫤🫤
I have listened to 2 other albums and the problem was only present with the cars mofi album and the volume level was the same . As of rite now I’m goimg
To let her be and enjoy the sound of my Robert Ludwig pressing of ac/dc back in black .

I use the phono that is built into my rega elicit mk5 integrated amplifier. I had bought the mofi phono stage but couldn’t really tell any difference between the mofi and the onboard phono on my amp so I sent it back untill I can afford a really nice phono stage . I have been looking at the Sutherland insight , I hear they pair really nice with the mofi turntables.
I have listened to 2 other albums and the problem was only present with the cars mofi album and the volume level was the same . As of rite now I’m goimg
To let her be and enjoy the sound of my Robert Ludwig pressing of ac/dc back in black .
That's very good advice you are giving yourself:cool:

What phono stages are y’all using ?
I doubt I will invest in a phono untill I have to replace the cart and I believe I will go with a Hana mc at that time .

I doubt I will invest in a phono untill I have to replace the cart and I believe I will go with a Hana mc at that time .
Old school here with a phono stage built into my Conrad Johnson PV 10 tube preamp that I purchased as a demo in the early 90,s and retubed a couple of times . When it's cold you can warm your hands with the heat given off by the 4 tubes.

The wood is probably not producing resonance. Sounds like you have a cart/phono stage noise issue. My table with the same cart is dead quiet between tracks at any reasonable listening level. I’ve never tried jacking the volume up between tracks to see if I eventually get noise, but why would anyone do that?

Last edited:
I’ve got a Sutherland 20/20 paired with my Ultradeck and a Sutherland Insight with my rebuilt Thorens. Really nice phonostages especially for the price. I got both used—think someone here may still be selling an insight used for a great price

I have not heard a Rega amp, but I gotta believe the phono stages in their gear should be pretty good. It could just be the pressing of the record you have is not great.

I didn’t realize how much ‘no fill’ noise was in my pressing of ‘The Sidewinder’ by Lee Morgan until I heard it through my UltraDeck.

I’m running a Pass Labs XP-15 which is fantastic. My only gripe with it is the dip switches on the back are a pain in the ass if I wanted to play with carts.

Last edited:
Back