MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Interesting, I too have had a noticeable uptick in static lately, also recently re-lubed with SuperLube. It gets bad enough after 3-4 sides that simply removing the LP from the platter produces audible snaps. I didn't notice a problem before but I wasn't really paying attention either. Could Superlube be a factor? I just assumed plastic (Delrin platter) on plastic (vinyl, aka 'the record') was the issue. I recently ordered a ground plug & strap to use with my carbon fiber brush, I figured brushing the platter (briefly) every other LP would kill it. As they say, we shall see.
It's interesting because it's exactly what I experienced. I always had a little static here and there with my previous tables, as I think almost everyone. This time besides the little discharge touching the headshell if I forgot to ground myself (which I find "normal"), it was lifting the record (3 or 4 loud shocks in rapid succession) or putting the record on the platter (just 1 shock). Precise and certain like death and taxes. Cleaning up the bearing did the trick for me.

It's interesting because it's exactly what I experienced. I always had a little static here and there with my previous tables, as I think almost everyone. This time besides the little discharge touching the headshell if I forgot to ground myself (which I find "normal"), it was lifting the record (3 or 4 loud shocks in rapid succession) or putting the record on the platter (just 1 shock). Precise and certain like death and taxes. Cleaning up the bearing did the trick for me.
Will definitely have to keep this in mind - I am still using SuperLube on my Sol's bearing.

I hope you have been pleased with the table otherwise.

I don’t recall any particular issues with static buildup previously, but I suppose it’s possible. I also haven’t had major issues since I started using a Thunderon brush.
I brush the records with each use with the anti static brush and do not experience the type of static being discussed. I have rugs on the floor and in winter have the usual static from the rug and dry winter air . Grounding myself and using a humidifier helps . This winter I have not had the usual static issue as we have had very little snow , lots of rain and no real dry winter air conditions yet .

Will definitely have to keep this in mind - I am still using SuperLube on my Sol's bearing.
This is an interesting topic to me as SuperLube is a PTFE grease and PTFE is a known insulator. The manufacturer says it has good electrical insulating properties, which suggests it could build up static, but I have not seen any lab tests suggesting that it actually does.

I’ll look to see if there is additional info out there.

This is an interesting topic to me as SuperLube is a PTFE grease and PTFE is a known insulator. The manufacturer says it has good electrical insulating properties, which suggests it could build up static, but I have not seen any lab tests suggesting that it actually does.

I’ll look to see if there is additional info out there.
I haven't run into any problems on the Sol thus far, knock on wood.

So just got back my studiodeck after a long hiatus and set it up..after fiddling with it and tonearm height I’m still not sure it’s set up properly..
image.jpg
I feel like it might need adjusting on lever and also height..sounds good though image.jpg

So just got back my studiodeck after a long hiatus and set it up..after fiddling with it and tonearm height I’m still not sure it’s set up properly..
View attachment 196513
I feel like it might need adjusting on lever and also height..sounds good though View attachment 196512
Is that an Ikea bamboo cutting board that you have it sitting on . What was the cause for the long hiatus .

It is i accidentally broke tonearm inside of the lever area..took awhile to send it in and get it back
Thanks , did you find that the Ikea cutting board made a difference ? I use them under my pre amp , amp and CD player but not TT which sits on an IsoAcoustics Isolation Platform. Not sure I hear a difference , but since most of my equipment sits in an antique pine Quebec armoire I benefited from the additional height and a flat surface for the supporting roller bearing isolation .

Thanks , did you find that the Ikea cutting board made a difference ? I use them under my pre amp , amp and CD player but not TT which sits on an IsoAcoustics Isolation Platform. Not sure I hear a difference , but since most of my equipment sits in an antique pine Quebec armoire I benefited from the additional height and a flat surface for the supporting roller bearing isolation .
Hard to tell really imo😜

Hi @Crabbers based on your photos the arm height looks pretty good to me.
Can’t tell from photos whether lever needs any adjusting though.
Agree, hard to tell, but take a look back a page or two in this thread where somebody discusses stacking index cards under the tonearm to help ease the VTA adjustment. Absolutely brilliant...

edit: this one and the picture a couple posts down.

The bottom of the cart looks real close to the recorLooks tail high to me. Pics can be tricky, using the lines on the record weight it looks tail up. I also busted the tonearm way back and still get anxiety about adjusting the arm height. Listen to it a bit and if you like the sound leave it alone and enjoy. If you do want to experiment with the arm height, the card trick is awesome.

Instructions?
Do you just gently lower the stylus onto a blob?
Yes basically, just used a small amount but heavy enough that the stylus doesn't pick it up off the platter. Honestly I just drop it into the entire blu tac strip but you can also take a portion of it and stick it to a quarter or something of the sort. Just drop the stylus onto it a couple times before you start a session. Soundsmith among others actually suggest using it as the best method to clean the stylus.

Thank you. I’m going to give this a try.
My experience is that you should gently drop the stylus into the tac . The odd comment has been made over the years in various forums that some people have had problems with the tip being removed . Who knows the real truth as the tip may have been dislodged or damaged for other reasons . I have not experienced any problems , but I only use this approach as required . I have a 40X loop lens that I use to inspect the stylus quite often and clean as required .

My experience is that you should gently drop the stylus into the tac . The odd comment has been made over the years in various forums that some people have had problems with the tip being removed . Who knows the real truth as the tip may have been dislodged or damaged for other reasons . I have not experienced any problems , but I only use this approach as required . I have a 40X loop lens that I use to inspect the stylus quite often and clean as required .
I use the cue lever.

Back