MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

So I know this has been asked and answered frequently in this thread, and pretty recently to, but it's time to replace the cart on my StudioDeck. I've gone back and read through a lot of the opinions on here and am pretty much narrowed down to the following...
  • Grado Opus3
  • Grado Sonata3
  • Hana EL (The SL is a bit more than I'd like to spend)
My questions at this point are: 1.) Are there any others in this $300-$600ish range I should be considering. 2.) For those that have used both, is there a big enough difference between the Opus3 and Sonata3 to justify the jump in price?

I'm currently using the UltraTracker that came with it when I purchased it originally and want to try something different. I've had Grados on my previous table and really love them.

As for the rest of my system, I am using a StudioPhono pre, KEF LS50 Meta speakers and a Marantz PM6005 amp (which is next to be upgraded after the new cart).
I'd say if you love Grados then to go with what you love cause you wont be disappointed!

I have the Hana SL and adore it but I also didn't much enjoy the Opus3 on my Ultradeck while others here have been over the moon with it!

So I feel like if you're feeling exploratory and want something friendlier than the MT but not as lush as Grado, then the EL might be worth a shot. But if you want something warm and comforting that feels like home, go Grado!

So I know this has been asked and answered frequently in this thread, and pretty recently to, but it's time to replace the cart on my StudioDeck. I've gone back and read through a lot of the opinions on here and am pretty much narrowed down to the following...
  • Grado Opus3
  • Grado Sonata3
My questions at this point are: 1.) Are there any others in this $300-$600ish range I should be considering. 2.) For those that have used both, is there a big enough difference between the Opus3 and Sonata3 to justify the jump in price?

I'm currently using the UltraTracker that came with it when I purchased it originally and want to try something different. I've had Grados on my previous table and really love them.

As for the rest of my system, I am using a StudioPhono pre, KEF LS50 Meta speakers and a Marantz PM6005 amp (which is next to be upgraded after the new cart).
1st things 1st, yes, the Sonata is a big jump from the Opus and I have both. If you can't stretch out to the Hana SL, I'd not go with the EL, you'll be happier with the Grado............had both Hana's as well ;)

To echo @Ghost point, if you have a soft spot for the Grado's, stick with it, long story short, I started with a Grado, have tried many, MANY, cartridges and ended up with a Sonata3 as my happy place ;)
1707333893753.png

Last edited:
1st things 1st, yes, the Sonata is a big jump from the Opus and I have both. If you can't stretch out to the Hana SL, I'd not go with the EL, you'll be happier with the Grado............had both Hana's as well ;)

To echo @Ghost point, if you have a soft spot for the Grado's, stick with it, long story short, I started with a Grado, have tried many, MANY, cartridges and ended up with a Sonata3 as my happy place ;)
View attachment 194736
Thanks Anthony! I was definitely curious to hear your thoughts on the Opus/Sonata jump because I remember your posts about trying both, so that's good to know that the jump is noticeable. I've missed the Grado's ever since I switched, so maybe I need to just listen to myself and go back to them!

• Grado Opus3
  • Grado Sonata3

Hard to go wrong with the Sonata3. Highly recommend.

• Grado Opus3
  • Grado Sonata3

If you are looking for wood Grado alternatives, I would not overlook the Nagaoka MP-200 in this price range. It’s a MI cart like the Grado, but has a replaceable stylus. I have the MP-300 and like it a lot - I do find it to be between the Hana EL and SL.

Thanks Anthony! I was definitely curious to hear your thoughts on the Opus/Sonata jump because I remember your posts about trying both, so that's good to know that the jump is noticeable. I've missed the Grado's ever since I switched, so maybe I need to just listen to myself and go back to them!

I think the slightly warmer tone of the Grado with its bass handling will probably tie in really well with your KEFs too because they have a name for being a bit brighter in presentation. I’d definitely look into adding a sub at some point too to give you more range with them being a bookshelf.

If you are looking for wood Grado alternatives, I would not overlook the Nagaoka MP-200 in this price range. It’s a MI cart like the Grado, but has a replaceable stylus. I have the MP-300 and like it a lot - I do find it to be between the Hana EL and SL.
Thanks! I'll check out the Nagaoka as well. Replaceable stylus is definitely a plus!

I think the slightly warmer tone of the Grado with its bass handling will probably tie in really well with your KEFs too because they have a name for being a bit brighter in presentation. I’d definitely look into adding a sub at some point too to give you more range with them being a bookshelf.
Yeah, in terms of the warmer tone and the KEFs, that's kind of exactly what I'm hoping for if I do go with the Grado!

Wouldn’t you need to replace the whole arm?
I don’t believe so. Granted you’d have to carefully thread the leads out of the old headshell and in through the new each time you switched them but I’d think that would still make for easier swapping. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I’m assuming the headshell can be removed (w/o leads) by loosening the set screw for azimuth adjustment.

I don’t think it’s designed to be a replaceable headshell.
Agreed not in the traditional sense but if willing to thread the leads when swapping carts it would save the trouble of mounting. Maybe not worth the trouble but thought it might be slightly easier than starting from scratch any time you might audition a new cart. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Agreed not in the traditional sense but if willing to thread the leads when swapping carts it would save the trouble of mounting. Maybe not worth the trouble but thought it might be slightly easier than starting from scratch any time you might audition a new cart. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Godspeed, man. I wouldn’t want to futz with the wiring any more than I had to.

Godspeed, man. I wouldn’t want to futz with the wiring any more than I had to.
I don’t know. I guess it just doesn’t feel like that much more futzing than disconnecting/connecting the leads when switching cartridges, but maybe you’re right. I was just hoping to figure out an easier way to compare/audition carts. Oh well.

I don’t know. I guess it just doesn’t feel like that much more futzing than disconnecting/connecting the leads when switching cartridges, but maybe you’re right. I was just hoping to figure out an easier way to compare/audition carts. Oh well.
I find the MoFis pretty easy to swap carts on, all things considered. The wiring is fairly thick and easy to grab with jeweler’s tweezers. With a GeoDisc I can get a cart mounted and aligned in ten minutes.

Not as fast as a swappable headshell or tonearm, sure, but way less stressful than, like, a Pro-Ject.

I find the MoFis pretty easy to swap carts on, all things considered. The wiring is fairly thick and easy to grab with jeweler’s tweezers. With a GeoDisc I can get a cart mounted and aligned in ten minutes.

Not as fast as a swappable headshell or tonearm, sure, but way less stressful than, like, a Pro-Ject.
True. I’ve had three different carts on mine so far in as many months. I should just enjoy the process instead of trying to simplify it. Thanks for talking me down. lol 😉

Back