MoFi UltraDeck / StudioDeck Owners and those interested

Anyone tried the Sumiko Amethyst with the StudioDeck? I am considering it as a replacement for my MasterTracker and stats-wise, it's very close except:
  • It weighs 1/3 less. 6.5g vs. 9.7g
  • Frequency Response is wider. 12Hz - 35kHz vs. 20Hz - 25kHz
  • Stylus is a different shape, Nude Line-Contact vs. Micro-Line

Anyone tried the Sumiko Amethyst with the StudioDeck? I am considering it as a replacement for my MasterTracker and stats-wise, it's very close except:
  • It weighs 1/3 less. 6.5g vs. 9.7g
  • Frequency Response is wider. 12Hz - 35kHz vs. 20Hz - 25kHz
  • Stylus is a different shape, Nude Line-Contact vs. Micro-Line
Definitely interested in hearing your thoughts on the Amethyst vs the MasterTracker.

I was thinking of getting an Amethyst for my Project Evo before I picked up the Ultradeck. Evo currently has a well used Moonstone on it which I like a lot relative to the Rainier that came with the deck. I still may pick up the Amethyst out of curiosity, but I need to chill out in audio gear purchases for a while.

Anyone find a good way to finely adjust the VTA downwards on the UD without the whole arm slipping down when the hex screw is loosened? Ive gotten close to the sweet spot im looking for and then I’ll go and loosen and overshoot the adjustment cause the arm will suddenly drop too much.

Anyone find a good way to finely adjust the VTA downwards on the UD without the whole arm slipping down when the hex screw is loosened? Ive gotten close to the sweet spot im looking for and then I’ll go and loosen and overshoot the adjustment cause the arm will suddenly drop too much.
put a little bit of tape on the arm base where you want it to end up and use that as a visual reference?

I use index cards, which I put under the protruding arm where the lift is attached. If you push them under there, the tone arm can't fall down when loosening the hex screw. To lower, remove a card or more. To raise, lift the arm and place more cards. You can do a fine adjustment since the cards are thin.

I use index cards, which I put under the protruding arm where the lift is attached. If you push them under there, the tone arm can't fall down when loosening the hex screw. To lower, remove a card or more. To raise, lift the arm and place more cards. You can do a fine adjustment since the cards are thin.
Wow, this was the way to do it. Great tip, made it super easy to test and fine-tune. Thank you my friend, will definitely be using that in the future.

Hey all, I need some help, and some of this is going to be basic and subjective, but I am seeking opinions here.

I love my deck and setup, but I would like to improve sonic clarity on the upper end. I'm over 40, have been blasting music all my life, and went to too many rock shows without hearing protection, so I get that some of this is physical, but I can't help but think there are some technical improvements I can make. Here is my setup:

• StudioDeck with MasterTracker --> Darlington Labs MM-6 --> Yamaha A-S501 --> 2.1 setup - KEF LS50 Metas & RLS Speedwoofer 10S MKII
  • Interconnects are all Signal Cables. Not the top of their line, but good.
My initial thinking is that stepping up to a Moving Coil cartridge and pre-amp could be a good first step since the Frequency Response is typically wider than MM (for example, MasterTracker is up to 25k, Hana SL is 32k). Thoughts?

Hey all, I need some help, and some of this is going to be basic and subjective, but I am seeking opinions here.

I love my deck and setup, but I would like to improve sonic clarity on the upper end. I'm over 40, have been blasting music all my life, and went to too many rock shows without hearing protection, so I get that some of this is physical, but I can't help but think there are some technical improvements I can make. Here is my setup:

• StudioDeck with MasterTracker --> Darlington Labs MM-6 --> Yamaha A-S501 --> 2.1 setup - KEF LS50 Metas & RLS Speedwoofer 10S MKII
  • Interconnects are all Signal Cables. Not the top of their line, but good.
My initial thinking is that stepping up to a Moving Coil cartridge and pre-amp could be a good first step since the Frequency Response is typically wider than MM (for example, MasterTracker is up to 25k, Hana SL is 32k). Thoughts?
I think a cart shift could be a good move for sure. I run the Hana SL and I would say its incredibly well balanced and if you have a revealing system it could probably give you more of what you're looking for? But I don't know if I'd say the Hana SL will be significantly more resolving up top mainly because I haven't heard the master tracker. Maybe some one else can better comment on the differences between the two.

Does the MasterTracker feel just muffled and rounded out up top? How much do you feel the top end is missing for you? What are you hearing currently and what small things do you imagine yourself wanting to hear more of?

I think a cart shift could be a good move for sure. I run the Hana SL and I would say its incredibly well balanced and if you have a revealing system it could probably give you more of what you're looking for? But I don't know if I'd say the Hana SL will be significantly more resolving up top mainly because I haven't heard the master tracker. Maybe some one else can better comment on the differences between the two.

Does the MasterTracker feel just muffled and rounded out up top? How much do you feel the top end is missing for you? What are you hearing currently and what small things do you imagine yourself wanting to hear more of?
Setting aside that nobody here has hearing above 20khz, so the published frequency response specs are probably moot, I think the Hana is a very pleasant cart. Operating on the assumption that my SAE is a kissing cousin of the Hana SH, I think it's got more pleasant tone than the MoFi, which always struck me as kind of analytical in my system.

I love my deck and setup, but I would like to improve sonic clarity on the upper end
I'd take those frequency response figures out of the equation - with hearing loss due to age and potential damage, you're likely not hearing above 16 or 17K, and vinyl rolls off heavily above 13K - one of the reasons listeners use "warm" as an adjective of the medium.

That said, for top end clarity, IMO, your best bet is actually going to be a microline/fine line/line trace stylus profile. I'd actually look at the Hana M series rather than the S, if it's in your budget.

If it's a bit too high price-wise, an AT OC9XML, or maybe even an Ortofon 2M Bronze.

Right! I think at that point it's a matter of preference - Shibata leaning warmer, Micro-Line leaning more detailed/analytical.
Gotta say, not sure I've ever heard Shibata described as 'warm,' considering it was first designed to pick up ultrasonic frequencies for quadraphonic playback! But relative to Micro-Line, I suppose that's fair.

That being said, the MasterTracker @MacDonals is using is already a Micro-Line, so maybe we're talking in circles.

Yes, I have to sweeten the Tone on my amplifier to get a bright sound, which is mostly what I think I'm looking for.
Setting aside that nobody here has hearing above 20khz, so the published frequency response specs are probably moot
I don't disagree, and hearing limitations are real, but I've heard sound engineers mention the harmonics that high frequencies produce in the audible range. It's a theory...
That said, for top end clarity, IMO, your best bet is actually going to be a microline/fine line/line trace stylus profile. I'd actually look at the Hana M series rather than the S, if it's in your budget.

If it's a bit too high price-wise, an AT OC9XML, or maybe even an Ortofon 2M Bronze.
Woof, the ML is up there. I'll also need to upgrade my pre-amp for a LOMC, so things get pricey. The 2M Bronze could be a starter option since it's MM and I do like how my Ortofon Blue sounded.

The 2M Bronze could be a starter option since it's MM and I do like how my Ortofon Blue sounded.
That's great feedback right there. Another option could be perhaps the Quintet Blue if you decide you want to switch your preamp, but if you like how the Blue sounded and just crave more up top, the Bronze'll give you that in spades.

I also do want to add that Hana carts are typically known for having that "airiness" up top - @Ghost and others can speak to it better than I can, but a Hana would also absolutely mean a new preamp for you.
It definitely has some air and sparkle up top but I wouldn't describe it as bright unless somethings off in your system. To me its plenty, but I wonder if with some noticeable hearing damage if it could be underwhelming? Think going for something considered bright and analytical may be the better move because the SL still has a lushness to it that I really enjoy.

Back